A64 Tadcaster to York accident issues

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: A64 Tadcaster to York accident issues

Post by Glenn A »

The A170 has Sutton Bank, which can be a pain in tourist season, and passes through several villages. I often wonder how many people travelling from Teesside to Scarborough avoid it in favour of the A19/ A64 route.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Glenn A wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 14:01 The A170 has Sutton Bank, which can be a pain in tourist season, and passes through several villages. I often wonder how many people travelling from Teesside to Scarborough avoid it in favour of the A19/ A64 route.
Surely anyone from Teesside would use the direct A171, the A170 nevermind the A19/A64 is quite a detour.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 14:01 The A170 has Sutton Bank, which can be a pain in tourist season, and passes through several villages. I often wonder how many people travelling from Teesside to Scarborough avoid it in favour of the A19/ A64 route.
Nobody travelling from Teesside to Scarborough is ever likely to use either.

The route is simple, A171 around the Guisborough bypass up Birk Brow to the Ruswarp turn off just outside Whitby.
Along the B1416 through Ruswarp up Ruswarp Bank and rejoin the A171 just south of Robin Hoods Bay

Shouldnt take more than an hour and a quarter. I would be a rich man if I had a tenner for each time I made that trip.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

jabbaboy wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 21:29
Surely anyone from Teesside would use the direct A171, the A170 nevermind the A19/A64 is quite a detour.

Yup but see my back route around Whitby on the B1416
CallumParry

Post by CallumParry »

I live in Ingleby Barwick and If i'm heading to Scarborough or Bridlington I use the B1257 Chop Gate Rd to Helmsley then the A170 to Scarborough I just find the A170 a nicer drive with plenty of stopping places and services along the route. I have only ever taken the A64 all the way as I was coming from Garforth near Leeds to Scarborough and found it busy but an OK drive
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

There is no way I would travel from Middlesbrough to Hull via the A64 , that route simply makes no sense.

The fastest route and the most usable by HGV's and LGV's is A19/A168/A1(M)/M62 which is trunk all the way.
Second choice is A19 to York and A1079
If I wanted a nice drive it would be A172 to Stokesley, B1257 to Hemsley and possibly the back roads around Castle Howard to York and then pick up the A1079
I think you completely misunderstood what I was saying, I didn’t say travelling from Middlesbrough to Hull, I said the area between, basically if the A64 wasn’t trunk we would have no trunk roads in the AREA between Middlesbrough and Hull, the A64 serves that area in between, I certainly wouldn’t take the A64 from Middlesbrough to Hull I’m not that thick 🤣
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Well we've seen a mother and her children killed on this road at Flaxton. Just why can the government keep ignoring this road. It is absolutely disgusting the lives that are been lost on it. I really don't understand why the government keep ignoring it considering its fatal and seriously injured rate. The two little children been killed has sickened me.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Glenn A wrote:The A170 has Sutton Bank, which can be a pain in tourist season, and passes through several villages. I often wonder how many people travelling from Teesside to Scarborough avoid it in favour of the A19/ A64 route.
Sutton Bank is the highlight of the A170 which has to be one of the most frustrating long distance A roads there is. It's a constant speeding up for NSL and then almost immediately slowing for 30mph for the next village.

I don't know how often this happens but it feels like dozens of times.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

I used to stay in the Travelodge regularly. The turn in was always a big concern, many times I had someone behind me I want sure was going to slow so I had to use the method of screaming in at speed then throwing out the anchors when I got off the main carriageway. Not a great way to go about things.

It also strikes me how this section of the A64 is almost identical in feel to the A66 just East of Sadberge. Same layout with side roads, dodgy access petrol stations and random restaurants in the middle of nowhere.
M19

Post by M19 »

CallumParry wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 22:50 I live in Ingleby Barwick and If i'm heading to Scarborough or Bridlington I use the B1257 Chop Gate Rd to Helmsley then the A170 to Scarborough I just find the A170 a nicer drive with plenty of stopping places and services along the route. I have only ever taken the A64 all the way as I was coming from Garforth near Leeds to Scarborough and found it busy but an OK drive
My Mum also lives in DB32land.

I’ve used the A174, as it seems less travelled and less infested with the 40mph everywhere club. When I lived in Northallerton I used to work at Rievaulx and had to use the A170 Blue Rinse Notaparkway via Sutton Bank. Back in the day I used to approach Sutton Bank as fast as the sweeping bend at the bottom would allow, to build up a nice bit of momentum for the climb, that is, if there was an absence of ditherers - that was quite rare in reality, even 25 years ago!
M19
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

L.J.D wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 07:11 Well we've seen a mother and her children killed on this road at Flaxton. Just why can the government keep ignoring this road. It is absolutely disgusting the lives that are been lost on it. I really don't understand why the government keep ignoring it considering its fatal and seriously injured rate. The two little children been killed has sickened me.
Yes and only a few weeks later a motorcyclist was killed on the A64, I actually went through crashmap and displayed just fatal accidents for the 22 years of data and many including multiple fatal accidents and was well over 110, that’s just for the North Yorkshire section, Leeds has its own grim figures, basically Tadcaster to York needs some serious improvements with accesses, pedestrian crossings and carriageway alignment….. York to Malton needs dualling and east of Malton needs bypasses.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

A bit further north, but looks like some closures for a month on the A64 betwen York and Malton.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/tr ... rk-3438582

Don't panic too much, it's not for the full month, only overnight, but I really cannot believe that the recommended diversion route is via Sutton Bank!!
Let it snow.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Alderpoint wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 21:41 A bit further north, but looks like some closures on the A64 betwen York and Malton.
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/tr ... rk-3438582

But I really cannot believe that the recommended diversion route is via Sutton Bank!!
It’s the usual bonkers attitude where A Road traffic must be diverted on another A road, as you say Sutton bank is a ridiculous diversion, plenty of local routes could take the A64 traffic overnight, it just shows how Health and safety has changed as 10 years ago when that whole section was fully resurfaced it was done using overnight convoy system as it was never closed due to the very few diversion options but now it doesn’t seem to matter! Malton to Scarborough is an easier closure with the A169 and A170 but York To Malton isn’t so easy.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

NICK 647063 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 21:46
Alderpoint wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 21:41 But I really cannot believe that the recommended diversion route is via Sutton Bank!!
It’s the usual bonkers attitude where A Road traffic must be diverted on another A road, as you say Sutton bank is a ridiculous diversion, plenty of local routes could take the A64 traffic overnight, it just shows how Health and safety has changed as 10 years ago when that whole section was fully resurfaced it was done using overnight convoy system as it was never closed due to the very few diversion options but now it doesn’t seem to matter! Malton to Scarborough is an easier closure with the A169 and A170 but York To Malton isn’t so easy.
The morning of the accident refered to above traffic was diverted through Foston, Thornton and Flaxton. I was in a convey with a very puzzled-looking Coastline bus and several lorries squeezing through the back lanes.

While you can have more local diversions of the A64, any options are difficult. If I'd known in advance the road was closed, I'd have gone via Welburn (Derwent), Sheriff Hutton and Strensall.
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

You've only gotta look at Flaxton Services to know how that family ended up killed on Google Street View to know how overloaded and confusing things are.

you've got a motor home taking chance right there!

And you've also got a lorry overhanging the hatching area and that's just when the Google streetview car has passed so you imagine the hazards there at that junction. That doesn't occur to us sabreist (I don't think we'd make any manouvers if we saw such hazards)

For a government road it's awful safety.