Covid Road Cutbacks?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Covid Road Cutbacks?

Post by SteveA30 »

Don't know their sources, but I can well believe the Treasury are itching to ditch projects to save money. Road, rail and airports. The latter seems the most vulnerable, with road second and the environmentally friendly rail third in the cutbacks lottery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57010913
Last edited by SteveA30 on Wed May 12, 2021 14:15, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Covid Cutbacks?

Post by c2R »

It's a difficult one, as infrastructure projects themselves provide employment and economic stimulus (according to many economic theories), and also improve future growth as the asset has been built and exists. There is also the trickle down effect of the people that are employed themselves spending money. Obviously, it's not a good idea in economic terms to simply borrow masses of money on an ongoing basis to build stuff that is unused (cf Spain's unused airports and dead end motorways), but I would argue that cancelling infrastructure projects in the short term to save money coming out of the pandemic is a bad idea, particularly if it causes higher spending on benefits and reduces the rate of economic growth as a result.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 It's a difficult one, as infrastructure projects themselves provide employment and economic stimulus (according to many economic theories), and also improve future growth as the asset has been built and exists. There is also the trickle down effect of the people that are employed themselves spending money. Obviously, it's not a good idea in economic terms to simply borrow masses of money on an ongoing basis to build stuff that is unused (cf Spain's unused airports and dead end motorways), but I would argue that cancelling infrastructure projects in the short term to save money coming out of the pandemic is a bad idea, particularly if it causes higher spending on benefits and reduces the rate of economic growth as a result.
Yes - I think the UK’s situation is different to Spain’s. Most of the projects in our pipeline are still to do with fixing quite significant bottlenecks or black spots. We’re mostly not so over-invested in roads or rail that we have reached the stage of contemplating “nice to have” projects or pork barrel “bridge to nowhere” stuff.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Traffic on a large percentage of the England trunk road network is now at the notional capacity for some of the day, not necessarily for as long or at the same times as before COVID. Anything in RIS 2 should be safe and so should most Expressways given the speeding up of freight. With the review of the SMP some of the ALR schemes may be put back.

Most HE schemes now on site have not been delayed or increased in cost due to COVID; HS2 and crossrail are not doing rail any favours (well very few are).
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

There is also the upcoming judicial review for the Stonehenge tunnel at the end of June. Could Covid kick this one into the long grass, especially as the minister overrode the Planning Inspectorate's original decision? Although having said that, the scheme is pretty well advanced?
bart

Post by bart »

Jim606 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 14:35 There is also the upcoming judicial review for the Stonehenge tunnel at the end of June. Could Covid kick this one into the long grass, especially as the minister overrode the Planning Inspectorate's original decision? Although having said that, the scheme is pretty well advanced?
I think that's likely to go ahead. As you say, it's already advanced, and I think the schemes that will be axed are those that alleviate rush-hour jams, because there will be less commuting that there was before the pandemic, when people realized that working from home was possible and better (for some people).
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

bart wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 19:49 ...and I think the schemes that will be axed are those that alleviate rush-hour jams, because there will be less commuting that there was before the pandemic, when people realized that working from home was possible and better (for some people).
Which unfortunately means things like the A38 Derby Junctions being at risk as the congestion at the roundabouts occurs during the rush hour.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
fras

Post by fras »

roadtester wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:59
c2R wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:54 It's a difficult one, as infrastructure projects themselves provide employment and economic stimulus (according to many economic theories), and also improve future growth as the asset has been built and exists. There is also the trickle down effect of the people that are employed themselves spending money. Obviously, it's not a good idea in economic terms to simply borrow masses of money on an ongoing basis to build stuff that is unused (cf Spain's unused airports and dead end motorways), but I would argue that cancelling infrastructure projects in the short term to save money coming out of the pandemic is a bad idea, particularly if it causes higher spending on benefits and reduces the rate of economic growth as a result.
Yes - I think the UK’s situation is different to Spain’s. Most of the projects in our pipeline are still to do with fixing quite significant bottlenecks or black spots. We’re mostly not so over-invested in roads or rail that we have reached the stage of contemplating “nice to have” projects or pork barrel “bridge to nowhere” stuff.
Well, the ultimate UK "pork barrel" bridge to nowhere is up in the North West ! I refer to the bridge over the Dee on the A548, of course. A beautiful bridge, and dual-carriageway at NSL too.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.22941 ... 6656?hl=en
Then after leaving it, one comes to this in less than a mile.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.23663 ... 6656?hl=en
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

fras wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 22:23 Well, the ultimate UK "pork barrel" bridge to nowhere is up in the North West ! I refer to the bridge over the Dee on the A548, of course. A beautiful bridge, and dual-carriageway at NSL too.
Of course, the intention is for this bridge to be used as the main route into North Wales as part of the A494/A548/A55 project, following the cancellation 14 years ago now(!) of the original widening scheme along Aston Hill.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

bart wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 19:49 I think that's likely to go ahead. As you say, it's already advanced, and I think the schemes that will be axed are those that alleviate rush-hour jams, because there will be less commuting that there was before the pandemic, when people realized that working from home was possible and better (for some people).
That said the widening of the A19 between the Tees Viaduct and Wolviston which is notorious for its rush hour jams is well ahead of schedule as they were able to make fast progress during the lockdowns. They have even implemented overnight shutdowns sending people along the old roads over the Newport bridge and along the original Billingham bypass (ex A1130, Bypass Road and Wolviston Road) It was quite nostalgic going that way after 40 years of using the A19. Was over that way yesterday and the traffic levels seemed to be pretty much the same as preCovid