A35 Sinkhole

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Re: A35 Sinkhole

Post by Conekicker »

solocle wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 14:52
Conekicker wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 13:57
Bryn666 wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:58

Cylinders in a contraflow? I thought the hyper risk-averse clipboards had stopped that practice? Last time I saw one was about 2005, it's always been steel down the middle since... let's not forget the glossy PDF propaganda where HE praised itself to the skies for inventing contraflows for smart motorway works, ignoring the fact contraflows have existed in various forms since at least 1960.
Well you could put a metal barrier down the middle of a 1+1 contraflow, providing you were ready with the requisite recovery vehicles to hoick out the first wide load that got stuck trying to squeeze through, or the congestion every time there was a breakdown or collision.

That's not to say some dumpling might specify a metal barrier for such a road but you'd like to think a grown-up would have words before any was actually placed.

Can't honestly recall the last time I did a contraflow, must be well over 10 years ago now.
I mean, isn't the simplest solution to run it as a standard S2 through the contraflow?
You'd trust Joe Public not to try to overtake if there were no cylinders there to keep them honest, or do something else stupidly dangerous? You're a considerably braver man than me.

For example, "I want to exit at this junction but I'm in contraflow so I can't get to the exit slip I want". Will I either:

a) drive up the entry slip road to my offside the wrong way, after all it's marked as 2 lanes or
b) attempt a U-turn when I get to the open exit slip road.

NEVER underestimate the stupidity of the travelling public.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Lockwood

Post by Lockwood »

Former A3 North of Petersfield had cylinders for its contraflow a couple of months ago.
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

Looks like the A35 westbound is fully reopened this morning
andrewwoods

Post by andrewwoods »

According to the Bournemouth Echo
A spokesman for Highways England said: "The repair work involved detailed survey and design work, before 15 cubic metres of foam concrete was poured into the defect on the carriageway.

"Once cured, the top surface of the road was re-laid using low carbon asphalt which sets quicker, before road markings and studs were reinstated.

"During the closure, Highways England also undertook various other work including litter collection, a drainage clearance and survey, as well as a structural inspection, further reducing the need for future closures.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

yes, passed through about 10am and a complete resurface over about 100 yds plus some more at the end of the D2. Making good use of the time to do other work. One of the online maps is still showing closed now. However it has changed from total closure of w/bnd to still closed, except over Yellowham Hill, between the two Troy Town junctions, then closed to the Dorchester bypass. Uncomprehending algorithms again and no humans checking it. The madness spreads.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/