A1077(M): Pathetic Motorways Style

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SBRoxMan

A1077(M): Pathetic Motorways Style

Post by SBRoxMan »

Whilst I'm sure Steven will also publish a page on Pathetic Motorways on this, I thought I'd give the Pathetic Motorways style a try :P

----

What's all this, then?
Well, it's the newest motorway on the UK road network .... and yet it's not new at all. Over 40 years old in fact.

What the heck are you on about??
Okay, what if I were to say that part of an existing motorway has been reclassified under a brand new number? Would that make more sense?

Ah, that makes sense!
Yeah, perhaps that's how I should've described it in the first place.

So where is this "new" motorway?
Take a look on Google Maps! - https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5823472 ... 388,15.08z

I don't see anything but the M181! Are you making this thing up?
I wish I were. It pretty much caught all of us by surprise. But recent images have come online proving that signage has been put up for the A1077(M).

So what's the story here?
Well Lincolnshire Council have been working on a new residential development known as Lincolnshire Lakes (fancy sounding, I know!) It will see a series of housing settlements and a business park built to the west of Scunthorpe.

That's nice and all, but what's this got to do with the A1077(M) or the M181?
Well, the current M181 lies west to the development. As part of this new scheme, a roundabout has been placed in the middle of the motorway, this is of course to allow access to this new development. When the roundabout was first opened, it was expected that the M181 to the north would be demoted to become the A1077, but shockingly this hasn't happened yet. Presumably, this is because there's nowhere currently for non-motorway traffic to go on the roundabout.

Interesting, but I don't understand why this warrants a new designation
Me neither. Perhaps they thought that a single motorway shouldn't have a roundabout in the middle and decided to give the other half a new name. But that hasn't stopped the likes of the A627(M) or the M271. Even the M4 Heathrow spur is arguably interrupted by a roundabout.

So is this road going to be permanent?
Nobody knows for sure just yet. Some people are predicting this is only a temporary measure, and that the road will be downgraded to A1077 once the roundabout is complete. Some people are also arguing that this could be a permanent measure.

As for me, either answer wouldn't surprise me. It's not as if we haven't made any other ridiculous decisions when it comes to our motorways!

What's going to happen to the M181?
For now, everything south of the M181 is remaining as it is.

For now? So something else is going to happen?
Yes. If you look closely on the map, there are plans to also convert the area where the M181 meets Burringham Road into a roundabout. Once this is done, the remaining parts of the M181 will be classified as the M180 and the M181 will be no more!

What about the road between the two roundabouts? Is it possible it will also be designated as A1077(M)?
If you'd asked me a month ago, I'd have said "No! Don't be ridiculous, what a silly question!" But now with the existing A1077(M), well, who knows? Only time will tell.

Do you have any videos of this new motorway?
Yes, JenOnTheMove has created this lovely video about the new motorway! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrr-X292JvE

Have any other users commented?
Well, as this is an open forum, users can comment when they please. So there may be some comments below.
Last edited by SBRoxMan on Thu May 13, 2021 18:12, edited 1 time in total.
the cheesecake man

Re: A1077(M): Pathetic Motorways Style

Post by the cheesecake man »

:laugh: :bow: :clap: :biglaugh: :rofl: :thumbsup: 8-)

Sheesh! That's excellent. Steven might be out of a job.

To be pedantic I think it might be North Lincolnshire (unitary) Council not Lincolnshire (County) Council.
Pendlemac

Post by Pendlemac »

Brilliant! :D

I would do the same with the B6601 but that hasn't the (M).

( For information, that's the bit that was the southern part of the A601(M), from the motorway to Kellet Road )

EDIT : Just spotted a typo in the original post. The second road is actually Burringham Road. The rubbish typeface on Google maps doesn't help. :(
SBRoxMan

Post by SBRoxMan »

Fixed the mistakes :)

Next I might give the A14 a shot. It ain't a motorway, but I think it deserves a spot in the "pathetic" list due to its history xD
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

That's it! I'm retiring!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Interesting video. Are any of the new signs on there correctly designed?!
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Conekicker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 Interesting video. Are any of the new signs on there correctly designed?!
I think the new M181 chopsticks is OK.

Apart from that... :-|
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Conekicker wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:17 Interesting video. Are any of the new signs on there correctly designed?!
It's not the same experts who gave us the DN7 link a few miles further west is it? The M180 has never been so interesting.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 17:00
It's not the same experts who gave us the DN7 link a few miles further west is it? The M180 has never been so interesting.
Dunno who did the designs. Prime suspect is Mr. C. Lueless.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.