Severn Bridge Diversion Symbols

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Severn Bridge Diversion Symbols

Post by A303Chris »

I never knew this until I saw this press release from the HE, but the Severn Bridge has it's own set of diversion symbols to be used when closed.

Has anyone actually seen these anywhere? I can not recall seeing them.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Re: Severn Bridge Diversion Symbols

Post by Chris5156 »

I believe the FOI request was made by a SABRE member who’s working on our wiki page about diversion symbols.

I think a lot are on folding signs, so not always visible. They also appear on the gantry mounted prism signs around the M4/M48 junctions, where the alternative legend shows them.

(PS. Sheesh :wink: )
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

I’d argue that it’s a stylised pictogram of a cable-stay bridge, rather than a suspension bridge. Does it pre-date the SSC?

The FOI drawing seems to be undated.
A9NWIL

Post by A9NWIL »

A303Chris wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 14:05 I never knew this until I saw this press release from the HE, but the Severn Bridge has it's own set of diversion symbols to be used when closed.

Has anyone actually seen these anywhere? I can not recall seeing them.
On its side it looks like the Bluetooth logo.
Formerly known as 'lortjw'
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 14:18 I believe the FOI request was made by a SABRE member who’s working on our wiki page about diversion symbols.
Indeed it was I who put in this request! I did not know HE would publish it, but makes sense. I also didn't plan to update the wiki but that's a bloody good idea.
A303Chris wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 14:05 Has anyone actually seen these anywhere? I can not recall seeing them.
The symbol is only used to give directions from M48 J1/M4 J22 to M5 J16, where drivers turn round, and then back to M4 J21 where the symbols end. So the symbol is only used when one bridge is closed and traffic is directed onto the other.
hoagy_ytfc wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 20:53 Does it pre-date the SSC? The FOI drawing seems to be undated.
Probably after the Prince of Wales Bridge opened as the symbol directs traffic onto the other bridge as above. The drawing has a rough date given it has the highways agency logo!

The document seems to be hugely outdated given the mismatching sizes of the symbol compared with the other symbols, and the point of the two line widths is beyond me. The older sign below seems to match the document whereas the newer sign has the symbol matching the others. I've made both in Inkscape, the latter is shown below with the others.
Attachments
Old sign
Old sign
New sign
New sign
Symbol set
Symbol set
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 14:18 I believe the FOI request was made by a SABRE member who’s working on our wiki page about diversion symbols.

I think a lot are on folding signs, so not always visible. They also appear on the gantry mounted prism signs around the M4/M48 junctions, where the alternative legend shows them.

(PS. Sheesh :wink: )
In hindsight I know I should of checked there!
The M25 - The road to nowhere