2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

User avatar
Sunil_of_Yoxley
Member
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:14
Location: Ilford, East London
Contact:

2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Thu May 27, 2021 01:45

Bought the latest 2022 A-Z GB Atlas (A4 version) a couple of weeks back. The last one I bought was the 2015 edition (and the last copy of any road atlas!).

As expected, Catthorpe and the new A14 near Huntingdon are shown completely updated. But I immediately noticed that all over the country, certain GSJs and other junctions are shown as red or green blobs, without any detail (even a small circle for an at-grade roundabout). Which is a little disappointing, as I like the A-Z precisely because of its junction detail! Examples of junctions which have been "blobbed" include A13 Pitsea/Five Bells/Stanford, A48 junctions in Cardiff, and both ends of the M271. These junctions are shown with details in the 2015 edition. So is this something new in the 2022 edition, or has it been this way for some time?

Anyway, rant over! I also looked at what it shows for upcoming projects, and I've listed them below (hopefully without overlooking any I might have missed!):

Under Construction

A30 Three Burrows to Carland Cross online(?) dualling
A391 Roche and Stenalees (offline single)
A465 Hirwaun to Dowlais online(?) dualling
EDIT: M11 J7a (B183 spur)
A4440 Worcester (south bypass) online(?) dualling
M42 J5a to A45 spur new dual carrriageway
A523 to A555 near Woodford (offline single)
A533 Middlewich (offline single)
A585 Singleton (offline single)
M55 J2 to A583 new dual carriageway
M6 J26 to A49 new dual carriageway
Leeds NE bypass M1 J46 to A6120 new dual carriageway
A77 Maybole bypass (offline single)
A9 Luncarty to Kingswood online(?) dualling

Proposed (note: single v. dual not shown)

A30 near Monxton offline
A303 Downhead offline
A303 near Stonehenge to Winterbourne Stoke offline
EDIT: A27 Fontwell to Arundel offline
A417 Wantage (N/E) offline
M25 to A2 Lower Thames Crossing plus spur from A1089
Silvertown Crossing
A126 spur(?) Grays
A40 Llandewi Velfry offline
Hereford (W) bypass
A4095 Bicester (NW) bypass
A508 Roade offline
A5 (?) Luton (N) bypass
A131 Little Waltham to Broomfield offline
A143(?) Haverhill (N) bypass
A134 Sudbury (W) bypass
EDIT: Shrewsbury NW link road (A458 to A528)
A509 Isham offline
A428 Roxton to A1 to Ettisley offline
A52 Grantham (S) bypass
A606 Melton Mowbray (N & E) bypass
A47 Wansford (online dualling?)
A1270(?) Attlebridge to Honingham
A47 Hockering to Honingham (online?)
A55 to A548 Northop to Kelsterton
A57/A628 near Mottram offline
B5233(?) Near Lytham St Anne's to Penny Farm
A59 west of Blubberhouses offline
A689 Carlisle (S) bypass (M6 J42 to A595)
A1 near Fenrother to Causey Park (offline)
A697 Longhorsley (offline)
Perth northern bypass (A94 to A85, including a B-road)
A9 online dualling(?) Pitlochry bypass
A9 online dualling(?) Killicrankie to Dalnamein Lodge
A9 online dualling(?) Dalnaspidal Lodge to Crubenmore Lodge
A96 Culloden to Fochabers offline
A8082(?) A9 to Culloden

Other stuff:

The southern (former) leg of A601(M) is shown as a B-road
But the M181 still exists near Scunthorpe! :lol:
Last edited by Sunil_of_Yoxley on Fri Jun 04, 2021 15:33, edited 3 times in total.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons

JosephA22
Member
Posts: 174
Joined: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:11
Location: Poland

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by JosephA22 » Thu May 27, 2021 09:21

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 01:45
But I immediately noticed that all over the country, certain GSJs and other junctions are shown as red or green blobs, without any detail (even a small circle for an at-grade roundabout). Which is a little disappointing, as I like the A-Z precisely because of its junction detail! Examples of junctions which have been "blobbed" include A13 Pitsea/Five Bells/Stanford, A48 junctions in Cardiff, and both ends of the M271. These junctions are shown with details in the 2015 edition. So is this something new in the 2022 edition, or has it been this way for some time?
It was like that in the 2021 edition. The junction detail was one of the main things I always liked about the A-Z.

What seems strange to me (obviously without knowing why they have chosen to do this) is that "blob" junctions are now shown where the full detail was previously displayed, despite nothing having changed on the ground. Just took a look, and a random example is the A299, between the M2 and the A28. In my 2009 edition the junctions were all shown in detail, now it's all just green blob junctions. So they had to actively change the way it's displayed on an existing road, rather than just not including the full detail where junctions are rebuilt or new roads have appeared.

User avatar
Stevie D
Active Member
Posts: 8000
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 17:19
Location: Yorkshire

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Stevie D » Thu May 27, 2021 12:10

JosephA22 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 09:21
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 01:45
But I immediately noticed that all over the country, certain GSJs and other junctions are shown as red or green blobs, without any detail (even a small circle for an at-grade roundabout). Which is a little disappointing, as I like the A-Z precisely because of its junction detail! Examples of junctions which have been "blobbed" include A13 Pitsea/Five Bells/Stanford, A48 junctions in Cardiff, and both ends of the M271. These junctions are shown with details in the 2015 edition. So is this something new in the 2022 edition, or has it been this way for some time?
It was like that in the 2021 edition. The junction detail was one of the main things I always liked about the A-Z.

What seems strange to me (obviously without knowing why they have chosen to do this) is that "blob" junctions are now shown where the full detail was previously displayed, despite nothing having changed on the ground. Just took a look, and a random example is the A299, between the M2 and the A28. In my 2009 edition the junctions were all shown in detail, now it's all just green blob junctions. So they had to actively change the way it's displayed on an existing road, rather than just not including the full detail where junctions are rebuilt or new roads have appeared.
It's been a few years now, I think 2017 or 2018 was when they changed the design. As well as not showing full details for many non-motorway GSJs, they also changed the designs for roundabouts in general – so now, all non-GSJ roundabouts are shown as a pinprick whereas before some larger roundabouts were shown as circles, and all GSJ roundabouts are shown as perfect circles even though that is in most cases in inaccurate representation not to mention looking ugly on the page and taking up more space than they should – I suspect that the extra space they take up is why many non-motorway GSJs are no longer shown in detail. There were other changes to the lettering, and reduced accuracy of drawing the shape of some roads. Overall it was a huge retrograde step, and a massive disappointment to someone who had been a staunch advocate for A-Z for many, many years.

User avatar
IAN
Member
Posts: 992
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2001 19:07

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by IAN » Thu May 27, 2021 20:26

A few surprises that I noticed in the list of under construction and proposed schemes. Hereford western bypass was scrapped months ago so I'm surprised that they didn't have time to move it. No A9 Tomatin to Moy? That's supposed to be the next section to commence construction. No Shrewsbury NW link road, that's well into the planning stage and how about A487 Bontnewydd and Dyfi bridge which are both under construction?
AKA M5 Driver

User avatar
Chris Bertram
Committee Member
Posts: 13761
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2001 12:30
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Chris Bertram » Thu May 27, 2021 21:07

Stevie D wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:10
JosephA22 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 09:21
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 01:45
But I immediately noticed that all over the country, certain GSJs and other junctions are shown as red or green blobs, without any detail (even a small circle for an at-grade roundabout). Which is a little disappointing, as I like the A-Z precisely because of its junction detail! Examples of junctions which have been "blobbed" include A13 Pitsea/Five Bells/Stanford, A48 junctions in Cardiff, and both ends of the M271. These junctions are shown with details in the 2015 edition. So is this something new in the 2022 edition, or has it been this way for some time?
It was like that in the 2021 edition. The junction detail was one of the main things I always liked about the A-Z.

What seems strange to me (obviously without knowing why they have chosen to do this) is that "blob" junctions are now shown where the full detail was previously displayed, despite nothing having changed on the ground. Just took a look, and a random example is the A299, between the M2 and the A28. In my 2009 edition the junctions were all shown in detail, now it's all just green blob junctions. So they had to actively change the way it's displayed on an existing road, rather than just not including the full detail where junctions are rebuilt or new roads have appeared.
It's been a few years now, I think 2017 or 2018 was when they changed the design. As well as not showing full details for many non-motorway GSJs, they also changed the designs for roundabouts in general – so now, all non-GSJ roundabouts are shown as a pinprick whereas before some larger roundabouts were shown as circles, and all GSJ roundabouts are shown as perfect circles even though that is in most cases in inaccurate representation not to mention looking ugly on the page and taking up more space than they should – I suspect that the extra space they take up is why many non-motorway GSJs are no longer shown in detail. There were other changes to the lettering, and reduced accuracy of drawing the shape of some roads. Overall it was a huge retrograde step, and a massive disappointment to someone who had been a staunch advocate for A-Z for many, many years.
Well, that settles it, I shan't be replacing my 2015 version. I scarcely ever get it out of where it lives in the car anyway these days.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

roadphotos
Member
Posts: 776
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 19:28

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by roadphotos » Thu May 27, 2021 22:35

I believe that A-Z have now been taken over by Collins so this could be the reason for the removal of the junction detail.

User avatar
ForestChav
SABRE Developer
Posts: 10194
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 00:00
Location: Nottingham (Bronx of the Midlands)
Contact:

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by ForestChav » Thu May 27, 2021 22:57

What does it show for the A6211 (NE edge of Nottingham if you're not sure where that is...)?
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

User avatar
Sunil_of_Yoxley
Member
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:14
Location: Ilford, East London
Contact:

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Fri May 28, 2021 00:25

JosephA22 wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 09:21
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 01:45
But I immediately noticed that all over the country, certain GSJs and other junctions are shown as red or green blobs, without any detail (even a small circle for an at-grade roundabout). Which is a little disappointing, as I like the A-Z precisely because of its junction detail! Examples of junctions which have been "blobbed" include A13 Pitsea/Five Bells/Stanford, A48 junctions in Cardiff, and both ends of the M271. These junctions are shown with details in the 2015 edition. So is this something new in the 2022 edition, or has it been this way for some time?
It was like that in the 2021 edition. The junction detail was one of the main things I always liked about the A-Z.

What seems strange to me (obviously without knowing why they have chosen to do this) is that "blob" junctions are now shown where the full detail was previously displayed, despite nothing having changed on the ground. Just took a look, and a random example is the A299, between the M2 and the A28. In my 2009 edition the junctions were all shown in detail, now it's all just green blob junctions. So they had to actively change the way it's displayed on an existing road, rather than just not including the full detail where junctions are rebuilt or new roads have appeared.
Yes, they only have to cut and paste from the older editions!
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons

User avatar
Sunil_of_Yoxley
Member
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:14
Location: Ilford, East London
Contact:

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Fri May 28, 2021 00:26

ForestChav wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 22:57
What does it show for the A6211 (NE edge of Nottingham if you're not sure where that is...)?
It's shown as a single-carriageway non-primary. Already open.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons

User avatar
Sunil_of_Yoxley
Member
Posts: 1768
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:14
Location: Ilford, East London
Contact:

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley » Fri May 28, 2021 00:27

IAN wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 20:26
A few surprises that I noticed in the list of under construction and proposed schemes. Hereford western bypass was scrapped months ago so I'm surprised that they didn't have time to move it. No A9 Tomatin to Moy? That's supposed to be the next section to commence construction. No Shrewsbury NW link road, that's well into the planning stage and how about A487 Bontnewydd and Dyfi bridge which are both under construction?
No, no sign of dualling Tomatin to Moy!

But I did omit the Shrewsbury NW link road - it's shown as "proposed" between the A458 and A528.

Nothing seems to be happening with the A487.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons

User avatar
ForestChav
SABRE Developer
Posts: 10194
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 00:00
Location: Nottingham (Bronx of the Midlands)
Contact:

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by ForestChav » Fri May 28, 2021 07:25

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 00:26
ForestChav wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 22:57
What does it show for the A6211 (NE edge of Nottingham if you're not sure where that is...)?
It's shown as a single-carriageway non-primary. Already open.
It already is, it's just moving slightly further East (and with a slightly staggered junction with the B684 in the process before returning to the current line).

Seeing it on the ground, I'm not actually sure if they'll have it open by the end of the year, some bits only just look like there could be a road going there, whilst others look like they just need a bit of tarmac.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by the cheesecake man » Fri May 28, 2021 13:28

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 00:27
But I did omit the Shrewsbury NW link road - it's shown as "proposed" between the A458 and A528.
Phew! It was in my 2021 edition so its disappearance would be strange:
shrewsbury.jpg
roadphotos wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 22:35
I believe that A-Z have now been taken over by Collins so this could be the reason for the removal of the junction detail.
But why introduce this vandalism so inconsistently? :ipunch:
Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 01:45
Bought the latest 2022 A-Z GB Atlas (A4 version) a couple of weeks back. The last one I bought was the 2015 edition (and the last copy of any road atlas!).

As expected, Catthorpe and the new A14 near Huntingdon are shown completely updated.
A1307 also completely updated, which confused me when I tried to use it :facepalm: :confused:
huntingdon.jpg

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by the cheesecake man » Fri May 28, 2021 13:31

Stevie D wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:10
I suspect that the extra space they take up is why many non-motorway GSJs are no longer shown in detail.
Undoubtedly relevant and a quick look at Coventry and Peterborough would support the theory as GSJs on the bypasses are still shown properly but the closely-spaced ones are blobs:
coventry.jpg
peterborough.jpg
But turning to Eastwood shows blobs where there was plenty of space for the detail:
eastwood.jpg


:read: The lesson here is don't throw away your USP.

User avatar
SouthWest Philip
Member
Posts: 3153
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2002 19:35
Location: Evesham, Worcestershire

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by SouthWest Philip » Fri May 28, 2021 18:47

I believe that, broadly speaking, the AZ still shows full junction detail for trunk roads but not other roads. Give or take a bit of inconsistency.

aj444
Member
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 22:38
Location: Derbys

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by aj444 » Fri May 28, 2021 20:08

Stevie D wrote:
Thu May 27, 2021 12:10
I think 2017 or 2018 was when they changed the design. As well as not showing full details for many non-motorway GSJs, they also changed the designs for roundabouts in general – so now, all non-GSJ roundabouts are shown as a pinprick whereas before some larger roundabouts were shown as circles, and all GSJ roundabouts are shown as perfect circles even though that is in most cases in inaccurate representation not to mention looking ugly on the page and taking up more space than they should – I suspect that the extra space they take up is why many non-motorway GSJs are no longer shown in detail. There were other changes to the lettering, and reduced accuracy of drawing the shape of some roads. Overall it was a huge retrograde step, and a massive disappointment to someone who had been a staunch advocate for A-Z for many, many years.
This is just a guess - but could it be something to do with how the base maps are drawn?
The original maps from the early 80's (1983 I think) had what looked like hand drawn detail, but anything which had been added in recent times looked like it was drawn on a computer (hence the perfect circles) - I was wondering if the maps had been replotted into some computer design programme in recent times and it was easier to replace some detail with plain circles...

Collins have indeed bought A-Z, but only after the junction detail went awol....

aj444
Member
Posts: 1243
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 22:38
Location: Derbys

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by aj444 » Fri May 28, 2021 20:14

....also,
If you buy from the collins website you have to pay p+p, but buy from Amazon at the same price and the p+p is free :?

User avatar
Gav
Member
Posts: 1830
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2005 17:44

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by Gav » Fri May 28, 2021 20:55

phillips navigator it is then from now on....

harlow71
Member
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 07:39

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by harlow71 » Sat May 29, 2021 09:10

From what I have read, it seems like most of not all of the “updates” were already in the 2021 edition, would be interesting to know whether this is right or not.

User avatar
kevinse16
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 22:32
Location: Lightcliffe, West Yorkshire

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by kevinse16 » Sat May 29, 2021 09:43

I've just got the new AA 2022 atlas, I prefer their layout, always find them easier to read

User avatar
skiddaw05
Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 21:33
Location: Norwich

Re: 2022 A-Z Great Britain Atlas (A4)

Post by skiddaw05 » Sat May 29, 2021 09:52

Is M11 J7A in there?

Post Reply