M1 Junction 32

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SBRoxMan

M1 Junction 32

Post by SBRoxMan »

I'm having a bit of a Mandela Effect here. Regarding junction 32 on the M1, has it always been this way? Maybe I'm wrong, but I swore it originally connected directly onto the M18, with those wishing to continue on the M1 having to "leave" the motorway, like on the M6 / M6 Toll junctions

wrinkly

Re: M1 Junction 32

Post by wrinkly »

No, it has been the same layout ever since first built, except for widening of the approaches to four lanes. The bridges are 1960s vintage. However, in its earliest planning, the main route was to run towards Doncaster, with the "Aston-Sheffield-Leeds" section (as it was known) of M1 as a later idea.
Truvelo

Re: M1 Junction 32

Post by Truvelo »

A similar thing happened with the other triangular motorway junction at Ray Hall. M5 to M6 north was the original proposal with M6 east towards J7 coming later.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.