Largest settlement without any sort of bypass or relief road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Re: Largest settlement without any sort of bypass or relief road

Post by ajuk »

How about Leamington Spa, not that it really needs one, it's unusual in that it was expanded greatly in Victorian times and it's centre was always not a main through road but purpose built, growing up near there I thought this was normal.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Rambo wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 13:37 My home town Warrington technically has no bypass of the town (if you discount the m6/m62/m56 motorways). The A57 / A49 used to run straight through the town centre but have been altered several times over the years to skirt around it while still more or less being central through the town itself.
Warrington is surely the last place that would qualify as a town without a bypass or relief road! The town centre has two layers of purpose built ring road/bypass, then there are the New Town roads that serve as orbitals and distributors, and then you have no less than three trunk road motorways forming a box around the edges of the town. It must be one of the most comprehensively bypassed towns there are!
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

ajuk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 02:08 How about Leamington Spa, not that it really needs one, it's unusual in that it was expanded greatly in Victorian times and it's centre was always not a main through road but purpose built, growing up near there I thought this was normal.
Isn't the D3 A46 an effective by-pass?
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

It won’t beat any of the English towns on here but can I nominate St. Andrews (pop. 16,000) as the largest Scottish town without a bypass? I don’t really think it needs one to be honest as it’s awkward position means that most traffic will be going towards it, and it is effectively bypassed to the west by a handful of B roads (nobody travelling from Cupar to Crail should go through it, although that is the quickest route on A roads) but I reckon it would still qualify?

And if not, nearby Cupar (pop. 9,000) is definitely not bypassed- and definitely needs one!

Or if we’re being really radical, I could argue that Glasgow is the largest Scottish town without a bypass... :stir: :stir:
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Uncle Buck wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 20:58 Or if we’re being really radical, I could argue that Glasgow is the largest Scottish town without a bypass... :stir: :stir:
Even ignoring the "relief road" aspect of the question (and hence the M8 and M74), surely the M73 counts as a Glasgow eastern bypass?
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 How about Rhyl,the A548 goes right through the town, same as Prestatyn?
Could the A55 be considered a bypass of everything along the coast?
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Sunil_of_Yoxley wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 19:33
ajuk wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 02:08 How about Leamington Spa, not that it really needs one, it's unusual in that it was expanded greatly in Victorian times and it's centre was always not a main through road but purpose built, growing up near there I thought this was normal.
Isn't the D3 A46 an effective by-pass?
Of Warwick, yes.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Whitley Bay, pop 38,000, is another contender. You can avoid the town centre by using the A192 through Monkseaton to reach Morpeth and North Shields, but the A193 goes right through the town centre and is busy as it has traffic going to Tynemouth in the south and northbound traffic to Seaton Sluice and Blyth, as well as daytrippers wanting to go to the beach and St Mary's Island.