Best long distance S2 Roads?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DB617

Re: Best long distance S2 Roads?

Post by DB617 »

Big L wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 19:18
DB617 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 18:31 I've got to throw in for the A48 Cardiff-Margam. A decent route with lots of WS2, lots of derestricted sections, a few short D2s, one long D2 and a bypass of Bridgend. I would only criticise the awful signalabout at Ewenny which is an absolute disaster and a perfect example of a major junction that really should've been a crossroads with free left turns.
Derestricted you say?
Or should I say, NSL. Lots of bikers may see it as the former...
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The A696/68 route from Newcastle to Edinburgh, mostly quiet and a far less stressful drive than using the A1. The more congested stretches near Edinburgh have mostly been replaced, which removed the major bottleneck at Dalkeith.
Another good drive with very little traffic between Lanark and Cumnock, the A70 from Edinburgh to Ayr, which goes through some spectacular scenery and passes some near deserted mining villages in Lanarkshire.
coneman

Post by coneman »

Glenn A wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 The A696/68 route from Newcastle to Edinburgh, mostly quiet and a far less stressful drive than using the A1. The more congested stretches near Edinburgh have mostly been replaced, which removed the major bottleneck at Dalkeith.
Another good drive with very little traffic between Lanark and Cumnock, the A70 from Edinburgh to Ayr, which goes through some spectacular scenery and passes some near deserted mining villages in Lanarkshire.
I'd certainly agree with you on the A70 Glenn, incidentally one of those deserted pit villages was Glenbuck near the Ayrshire /Lanarkshire boundary birthplace of non other than the late great Bill Shankly.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1013952382"
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

In the spirit of the OP if we are talking about the engineering standard then the A17 must be up there. Just about everywhere is bypassed, it's almost all NSL and a good proportion is fairly wide and straight. A few brownie points could be knocked off for the odd junctions at the King's Lynn end but at least they do - to an extent - offer refuge for straight ahead and right turning traffic from the side roads.

I know it's too busy and to some the Fenland scenery is not the most engaging but this doesn't stop it being a well engineered road overall
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

coneman wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 18:17
Glenn A wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:17 The A696/68 route from Newcastle to Edinburgh, mostly quiet and a far less stressful drive than using the A1. The more congested stretches near Edinburgh have mostly been replaced, which removed the major bottleneck at Dalkeith.
I'd certainly agree with you on the A70 Glenn, incidentally one of those deserted pit villages was Glenbuck near the Ayrshire /Lanarkshire boundary birthplace of non other than the late great Bill Shankly.

"https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... 1013952382"
Of course, also you have Douglas Water and Rigside along the A70, which seem to have shrunk in size over the decades as the population have moved out, and miles of open countryside with little traffic where you can cruise at the NSL. No wonder the road is non primary as the traffic levels are so low in places.
mfmman

Post by mfmman »

I'm not sure I will get much agreement but the A470, and in particular the section from Builth to Trawsfynydd or thereabouts. It might just be rose tinted spectacles but back in the 90s I spent many a weekend travelling up from Bristol to spectate (and occasionally compete) on rallies that used the mid and North Wales forests and it always seemed a swift route with minimal traffic and plenty of overtaking. There were still a few villages that are bypassed now but weren't then and it almost feels as though a bit of the character has gone as a result. It still seemed pretty good when I drove the scenic route home from Chester a few years ago, hardly any traffic and good speeds maintained but that might have been that it was Six Nations time and Wales were playing. :D
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

mfmman wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 20:01 I'm not sure I will get much agreement but the A470, and in particular the section from Builth to Trawsfynydd or thereabouts. It might just be rose tinted spectacles but back in the 90s I spent many a weekend travelling up from Bristol to spectate (and occasionally compete) on rallies that used the mid and North Wales forests and it always seemed a swift route with minimal traffic and plenty of overtaking. There were still a few villages that are bypassed now but weren't then and it almost feels as though a bit of the character has gone as a result. It still seemed pretty good when I drove the scenic route home from Chester a few years ago, hardly any traffic and good speeds maintained but that might have been that it was Six Nations time and Wales were playing. :D
The A470 isn't necessarily fast but the scenery more than makes up for it. The only real "is this really an A road" bit is from Trawsfynydd to Betws-y-coed with its narrow town streets, multiple give way lines, and S1 sections.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

A697 is better in my opinion. Far quieter, has much better overtaking potential and freeflows onto the A1.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

B7076/B7078 - J10 (M74) to Gretna
A168 - Dishforth to Wetherby
A6055 - Barton to J50 (A1(M))

Depends what the definition of best is but they're probably some of the best roads in terms of quality with them being the old A1/A74 and are mostly high standard with some grade seperated junctions and straight sightlines for overtaking (if needed since they're dead).
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

jabbaboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 22:15 B7076/B7078 - J10 (M74) to Gretna
A168 - Dishforth to Wetherby
A6055 - Barton to J50 (A1(M))

Depends what the definition of best is but they're probably some of the best roads in terms of quality with them being the old A1/A74 and are mostly high standard with some grade seperated junctions and straight sightlines for overtaking (if needed since they're dead).
I've used the first two on a number of occasions to break the monotony of long journeys.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Anyone like the B709, a real alternative route from Langholm to Edinburgh that I have used to visit someone I used to know near Ettrick. Apart from the timber lorries, who usually pull in for you on the S1 sections, this is a spectacular road to drive on, passing through forests, moorland and passing the Sam Ye Ling Monastery. Also there is some fairytale castle near Eskdalemuir.
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

How about the A40 between Oxford and Cheltenham?
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 17:34 Anyone like the B709, a real alternative route from Langholm to Edinburgh that I have used to visit someone I used to know near Ettrick. Apart from the timber lorries, who usually pull in for you on the S1 sections, this is a spectacular road to drive on, passing through forests, moorland and passing the Sam Ye Ling Monastery. Also there is some fairytale castle near Eskdalemuir.
Are those timber lorry drivers totally opposite to their colleagues in the Highlands where they stop for nothing?
Lifelong motorhead
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Truvelo wrote:
A697 is better in my opinion. Far quieter, has much better overtaking potential and freeflows onto the A1.
It also allows you to get quite a bit further North on D2 before you start to cut across country.

I used to drive from Gateshead to Edinburgh quite a bit so I've tried the various routes.

I've found during that time that by far the fastest route is; the A1. Least stressful; A1. Theres no doubt that the A696/A68 is much more scenic if you have time to spare.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 17:34 Anyone like the B709, a real alternative route from Langholm to Edinburgh that I have used to visit someone I used to know near Ettrick. Apart from the timber lorries, who usually pull in for you on the S1 sections, this is a spectacular road to drive on, passing through forests, moorland and passing the Sam Ye Ling Monastery. Also there is some fairytale castle near Eskdalemuir.
Only just spotted this, but - yes! I used it to return from a holiday in St Abbs so as to make a visit to Traquair House at Innerleithen on the way. A lovely run, and I can't say I recall any timber lorries, presumably because it was a Saturday.
Last edited by FleetlinePhil on Sun Sep 12, 2021 17:17, edited 1 time in total.
stu531

Post by stu531 »

The B1225, B1257 and A59 (Whalley-Harrogate outskirts) have already been mentioned..

... but I'd also add the A169 (Pickering-Whitby) and the Castleton-Kirkbymoorside unclassified roads in the North York Moors.

is the B1248 the B1225's Yorkshire Wolds cousin?
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Once the Bontnewydd bypass has been completed, the A487 from A55 J9 to the A499 roundabout will be very high quality S2 and S2+1. Although granted that is hardly long distance.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 07:33
Are those timber lorry drivers totally opposite to their colleagues in the Highlands where they stop for nothing?
They are polite and will pull in and often have their lights on in the forested sections so you can see them in advance. The B709 really is worth a drive as it has some spectacular scenery and lorries apart has little traffic once you pass the Sam Ye Ling monastery.
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

I'll take the A685/A66 combination as my 'trans-pennine' route of choice over the M62 practically any day. The dual carriageway section of the A66 between Brough and Bowes is superb and usually light on traffic from my experiences of heading to/from Sunderland.

Another candidate of mine which I've discussed several times in the past is if you're in my area and wish to head south – avoid the M56/M6. Depending on how far down the country you're travelling, the A41/A49 combination is an excellent alternative. Yes, it's suffered a couple of speed limit drops over the years but it's still a viable long distance option and much more pleasing on the eye. The only real 'elephant in the room' is Hereford – and sometimes if you hit it 'right', it's not too bad. I've had occasions where I've crawled through it and others where I've driven straight through with little delay. Very hit and miss. The A49/A5 at the east and south of Shrewsbury is okay too – providing you avoid it at rush hour.
WHBM wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:15 Contrary to some other opinions I've always found the A361 Tiverton to Barnstaple to be a pleasant drive, and one on which to make progress easily. It's not a motorway, which seems lost on those trying to make motorway speeds along it. It's engineered pretty much just as I would have done it.
Agreed. It's not a route that has troubled me as much as I know other members have in the past. The only section I know which is a bit of a 'bad spot' for me is heading east, dropping down to the western end of the D2 section at Tiverton. I've been in several jams along there which traffic can crawl for a mile or so on the approach to the roundabout before the start of the dual carriageway. Another slightly 'iffy' section which has cropped up more often over the last decade or so can be the mile or so section immediately to the east of the B3227 (South Moulton) roundabout. Both directions. Generally speaking though, the A361 NDLR has given me little trouble since I started using it back in the early/mid 90's.

I'm aware it's facing 'improvements' imminently at the Barnstaple end, which naturally makes me fear the worst going forward, but I've certainly seen the best of it over the years.
The journey is never over until the arrival.