Best long distance S2 Roads?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Best long distance S2 Roads?

Post by ajuk »

What's the best high standard S2 road for having high standard junctions, a high standard of road throughout and many overtaking places such as many sections of D2 and S2+1 or WS2 but is at the worst an S2 road.
It needs to not be a road that needs to be D2 throughout so the A303 does not count, the A403 would not count because it's not very long, The A470 won't count because despite upgrading to high standard S2 throughout the Welsh government have some kind of phobia of adding even the occasional overtaking lane.
KeithW

Re: Best long distance S2 Roads?

Post by KeithW »

Well as someone who when in no hurry likes to drive old roads the only candidate in England and Wales I can think of is the A5. Many of the major settlements such as Dunstable, Milton Keynes, Shrewsbury and many towns in the west midlands have been bypassed and out of peak hours you can make quite good progress. Really the only bit I usually avoid is from Telford to Shrewsbury.

In Scotland I suppose my favourite would be the A835 from Tore to Ullapool and Ledmore which is a cracking drive through magnificent scenery. The A83 is a good runner up from Tarbet to Campbeltown.

There are some very nice sections of other roads such as the A68 north of Corbridge the A82 north of Crianlarich, parts of the A68 and A7 and of course the goof old standby of the A6 from Carnforth to Carlisle but few I would drive in their entirety.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Best long distance S2 Roads?

Post by c2R »

The B1225 is a fun drive across the Lincolnshire Wolds
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: B1225 :

The B1225 runs along High Street across the Lincolnshire Wolds. The road was originally unclassified but was given Class II status in the late 1980s.

The road starts on the A46 at the eastern end of the Caistor bypass and heads south. From the beginning the road runs along the top of a ridge and there are often good views on both sides. However, our road remains fairly flat.

... Read More