List of removed freeflow left turns/filter lanes

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

Re: List of removed freeflow left turns/filter lanes

Post by jackal »

ajuk wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 01:49
jackal wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 06:48 Besides, there's not really much arguing that 25k AADT isn't possible when it is the actual observed volume!
There is because you're not addressing how that much traffic can cope coming to a halt at a single lane but not be able to cope with a single lane free flowing? The Ilminster bypass has a higher AADT and it's S2+1.
S2+1 isn't WS2, and the Ilminster Bypass is a blackspot in line for upgrade anyway. Hardly the model for the M49 that you suggest. As Bryn said, there's nothing wrong with having a road that can (shock!) handle its volume of traffic.

I already said the M49 northern terminus is inadequate. The optimum situation would be a freeflow junction there but with the road otherwise as built. I really don't see why you're objecting to this.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 06:48 Besides, there's not really much arguing that 25k AADT isn't possible when it is the actual observed volume!
There is because you're not addressing how that much traffic can cope coming to a halt at a single lane but not be able to cope with a single lane free flowing? The Ilminster bypass has a higher AADT and it's S2+1.
I think if the M49 had been built as a single carriageway road we'd all now be complaining that it was a slow crawl at 56mph behind a line of trucks, with oncoming traffic mostly too heavy to permit overtaking, and asking why its designers had been too stingy to provide a dual carriageway. We'd also be unhappy about the fact that the new junction for Avonmouth had been built as a flat roundabout, interrupting the road, because a GSJ would never have been provided on an existing single carriageway.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 09:26
I think if the M49 had been built as a single carriageway road we'd all now be complaining that it was a slow crawl at 56mph behind a line of trucks, with oncoming traffic mostly too heavy to permit overtaking, and asking why its designers had been too stingy to provide a dual carriageway. We'd also be unhappy about the fact that the new junction for Avonmouth had been built as a flat roundabout, interrupting the road, because a GSJ would never have been provided on an existing single carriageway.
As well as the fact it would inevitably be 50 mph with average speed cameras as well...
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

jackal wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 07:21I already said the M49 northern terminus is inadequate. The optimum situation would be a freeflow junction there but with the road otherwise as built. I really don't see why you're objecting to this.
IIRC it was built as a full roundabout to allow traffic on M4 to turn around before the toll booths if they didn't have the money for the toll. It also provides a degree of redundancy for when M5 is jammed past Cribbs.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
jackal

Post by jackal »

Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:47
jackal wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 07:21I already said the M49 northern terminus is inadequate. The optimum situation would be a freeflow junction there but with the road otherwise as built. I really don't see why you're objecting to this.
IIRC it was built as a full roundabout to allow traffic on M4 to turn around before the toll booths if they didn't have the money for the toll. It also provides a degree of redundancy for when M5 is jammed past Cribbs.
All of that could be provided with a semi-freeflow teardop like M4 J19 (well, M4 traffic couldn't turn around but it could avoid the booths via the M49). The real reason I suspect is the depot access, which is really a crap reason for connecting two motorways with a roundabout.
Last edited by jackal on Fri Jun 25, 2021 13:27, edited 1 time in total.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

jackal wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:30
Chris Bertram wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:47
All of that could be provided with a semi-freeflow teardop like M4 J19 (well, M4 traffic couldn't turn around but it could avoid the booths via the M49). The real reason I suspect is the depot access, which is really a crap reason for connecting two roundabouts with a motorway.
Oh, no, depot access is all that matters... see M3 J9's proposals!
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck