M6 facts?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SBRoxMan

M6 facts?

Post by SBRoxMan »

I'm doing a blog post series on things you might not normally notice when driving along the roads. For my first topic, I'm doing the M6, and I've got a few well-known facts like how the Preston bypass was once the UK's first motorway etc, and how it was originally meant to continue into Scotland, but I'm trying to think of other interesting facts I could include about the motorway.

So I thought, the best people to ask about interesting M6 facts would be SABRE. Does anyone here know anything interesting about the M6 that I should consider adding?
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: M6 facts?

Post by Steven »

Starting points as usual are M6 and SABRE Maps, for which there is loads of mapping featuring the M6 at different stages of construction.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: M6 :

The M6 is the longest and probably the most important motorway in the UK. It links traffic from London with Coventry, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Stoke-on-Trent, Manchester, Liverpool, Preston and then Scotland, before the A74(M) takes traffic up to Glasgow.

There are several busy stretches of the M6, most notably the section from junction 8 to 11 near Wolverhampton. The main reason for this northbound is that nearly all traffic from the M5

... Read More
wrinkly

Re: M6 facts?

Post by wrinkly »

The M6 was believed to be complete in 1972 when it ended at J44. J44-45 was not completed until 2008.