How much of the A64 east of Hop Grove should be dualled

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rillington

How much of the A64 east of Hop Grove should be dualled

Post by Rillington »

Proposals for dualling some or most of the A64 east of Hope Grove have been talked about for decades so how much of the A64 east of Hop Grove should be made dual carriageway?
Conekicker

Re: How much of the A64 east of Hop Grove should be dualled

Post by Conekicker »

Ideally all of it, all the way to Musham Bank, where a large P&R should be built.

:pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig: :pig:
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 20:21 Ideally all of it, all the way to Musham Bank, where a large P&R should be built.
Agree with the first bit, unclear of the rationale for the second bit.
Is the P&R intended for people travelling to York from across Ryedale? Or for people travelling from York to the Moors and the Coast?
Either way, with only a half-hourly bus running between Leeds, York, Malton and Scarborough – and just two buses a day up to Pickering and Whitby – it wouldn't make an attractive P&R service without at least doubling the number of buses running.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

Stevie D wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 20:30
Conekicker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 20:21 Ideally all of it, all the way to Musham Bank, where a large P&R should be built.
Agree with the first bit, unclear of the rationale for the second bit.
Is the P&R intended for people travelling to York from across Ryedale? Or for people travelling from York to the Moors and the Coast?
Either way, with only a half-hourly bus running between Leeds, York, Malton and Scarborough – and just two buses a day up to Pickering and Whitby – it wouldn't make an attractive P&R service without at least doubling the number of buses running.
It's for people travelling into Scarborough, given that parking in the town is awful. Very useful in summer.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

This is what I'd do (large map at link)
A64dual8.gif
A64dual7.gif
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

A64dual4.gif
A64dual3.gif
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

A64dual2.gif
A64dual1.gif
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Plus:
Rillington.gif
Sherburn.gif
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

While I agree with "all the way" there is, of course, a slight problem with the single carriageway bit from near Whitwell-on-the-Hill to Musley Bank - it is in the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty... which possibly explains why this stretch was left behind when the bits either side were done.

So Hopgrove to Barton, to link up with the existing dualled stretch is the best we can expect, IMHO...
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Conekicker wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 22:28It's for people travelling into Scarborough, given that parking in the town is awful. Very useful in summer.
Scarborough already has P&R services running on Filey Road and Seamer Road during the summer, which run at least every 15 minutes, and so will be far more attractive to car drivers.
You won't get people coming off the A64 to transfer to a half-hourly bus that then immediately dives off the main road and meanders through a town, and in total takes about 20 minutes longer to get from Musham Bank to Filey Road P&R than it does by car.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 13:14 While I agree with "all the way" there is, of course, a slight problem with the single carriageway bit from near Whitwell-on-the-Hill to Musley Bank - it is in the Howardian Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty... which possibly explains why this stretch was left behind when the bits either side were done.

So Hopgrove to Barton, to link up with the existing dualled stretch is the best we can expect, IMHO...
That would be my choice, the Barton Hill Gap first, which has the advantage that almost all the land requirement is already within the highway, and the layout would allow you to construct a new carriageway alongside the existing road, then upgrade the old road to the opposite carriageway.

(The Lobster House section is a fiddle)

However, the Crambeck Gap is a priority on road suitability, it's a crap stretch of road, bad inclines, bad corners, bad side exits. While the short stretch from the end of the existing dual section at Mount Pleasant to the approach to Hutton Hill has space within the highway land, from there to Malton the road is very tight and my preference would be a short section of off-line new construction.

East of Malton just HQSC is needed, the traffic splits in two at the A169/A64 junction so dualling isn't needed to Scarborough, just bypasses of Rillington and Sherburn. And of those, Sherburn could just manage without a bypass.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

My view is that the route outlined in the early 1990s plans would be a good way to do it. The plan was to buld a new road from Malton to just before Seamer, running almost parallel to the railway line. The current A64 would become a local access road.

The un-dualled bits between Hop Grove and Malton would be done by on-line dualling.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Rillington wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 19:26 My view is that the route outlined in the early 1990s plans would be a good way to do it. The plan was to buld a new road from Malton to just before Seamer, running almost parallel to the railway line. The current A64 would become a local access road.
With today's money and environmentalists I think online improvement is the only thing that will happen. Other than Rillington and Sherburn you can get a wide single carriageway all the way from Malton to Saxton roundabout along the existing alignment. It's fairly straight, fairly flat, the problems are the villages and lack of overtaking space.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

And those two villages do need to be bypassed.

I seem to recall that plans to bypass Rillington were much further advanced than any plans to bypass Sherburn.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

I have commented on A64 Hop Grove being part of the contracts for road improvements. Will this contract, which is worth £250 million, result in any of the A64 east of Hop Grove being dualled?
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

Rillington wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 19:19 I have commented on A64 Hop Grove being part of the contracts for road improvements. Will this contract, which is worth £250 million, result in any of the A64 east of Hop Grove being dualled?
The project is called Hopgrove improvement as it was originally a GSJ improvement but then a study showed what we all knew it was the single carriageway east of Hopgrove….

The project now includes a number of options which all are the full dualling of Hopgrove to Barton with online and offline options, the Hopgrove is to be changed but not grade separated, personally the Hopgrove would be better left as it is with just the dualling….

Sadly last night this section was the scene of a truly horrific RTC which has resulted in 2 children 5 and 9 loosing their lives and their mother too, the father and son 6 are in a serious condition in hospital, it happened westbound where the dual carriageway reduces to single, it involved a camper van hitting the rear of a HGV in the standing traffic at this pinch point, yet again another reason why this needs sorting!

In 2017, 2 couples were killed crossing the A64 at crambeck at the end of the dual carriageway within a month of each other, both couples were killed in almost identical circumstances, 4 lives tragically gone.

Only back in 2016 a family of 4 were all killed on the Bridge east of Rillington, these multiple fatal accidents are sadly more common, this was on a section that would have been bypassed by the Rillington bypass but yet again it was never done.

What’s needed is full dualling to Malton and then bypasses of Rillington and Sherburn….
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

NICK 647063 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 20:04 Sadly last night this section was the scene of a truly horrific RTC which has resulted in 2 children 5 and 9 loosing their lives and their mother too, the father and son 6 are in a serious condition in hospital, it happened westbound where the dual carriageway reduces to single, it involved a camper van hitting the rear of a HGV in the standing traffic at this pinch point, yet again another reason why this needs sorting!
And it happened in a horrible place for diversions. With no warning we were shunted off at Barton Hill and had to wend through Thoughton-le-Clay and Flaxton. Double-decker bus, Artics, tiny me. Only at the last second did I realise I wasn't supposed to be entering a contraflow on the other carriageway and just avoided driving down the wrong side the wrong way.
NICK 647063 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 20:04 What’s needed is full dualling to Malton and then bypasses of Rillington and Sherburn….
+1
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Thank you for your reply Nick, and I totally agree that the A64 needs to be dualled up to Malton and that Rillington and Sherburn need to be bypassed.

I do hold the view that for the section east of Malton, the route identified in the early 1990s should be adopted, which is a new road running parallel to the railway line. it would only have two junctions - one at the B1258 and the other being for traffic to sherburn and a final junction north of Staxton. The road would end at the existing Staxton roundabout. This would allow the current route to be turned into a local access road.