Bad bus stops

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

thatapanydude

Re: Bad bus stops

Post by thatapanydude »

This one on the A40 before Savoy Circus used to be a lay-by till last year, impeding lane 1 off-peak.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

I always thought this was in a silly place. Not just because of the lights but the corner too I used to have to jump up and stick my hand out fast because couldn't see the bus coming until it was literally at the bus stop.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

There used to be some on the A1 such as this one that were so bad they have now been removed even though the bus service still runs and the bridge to get to the stop is still in place.
jervi

Post by jervi »

thatapanydude wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:47 This one on the A40 before Savoy Circus used to be a lay-by till last year, impeding lane 1 off-peak.
Does't seem that bad.
At least now a bus doesn't have to try and find a gap to pull out into and can just move off without waiting, therefor prioritising public transport over private vehicles.
e17simon

Post by e17simon »

Big Nick wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 21:39 I give you this pair of stops on the North Circular in South Woodford. Bus drivers must have nerves of steel when pulling away from these stops.
Steep ramps down to them, graffiti, next to the busiest stretch of road in the area. Coincidentally this is how we learnt my grandmother had senile dementia - she was rescued by the police after trying to cross the road here many years ago.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.59593 ... 384!8i8192
In defence of this and the opposing Bus Stop, it's not that bad. I use these bus stops regularly when going to South Woodford from Walthamstow on the 123 Bus which uses this stop.

It's on a the D5 Stretch of the North Circular Road between Waterworks Roundabout (A503 / A 104) and Charlie Browns Junction where the M11 and North Circular divert off.

The Bus only has to pull out into Lane 1 and there are normally there are gaps in the traffic.

Now the fun begins if Woodford Avenue A1400 is closed eastbound and is being diverted via the A406. The Bus will have to pull across 3 lanes of fast moving traffic from the Bus Stop which can be interesting.

Cheers
L.J.D

Post by L.J.D »

Another one for this thread. Really bad place to put a bus stop.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

L.J.D wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 00:31 Another one for this thread. Really bad place to put a bus stop.
Pretty awful, yes :( . I suppose the best that might be said is that it generally only has a bus every hour. It didn't seem to be there in 2009, although I can't spot a stop for this direction further up the road either.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

I suppose a bus stop can be considered "bad" for any one of three general areas:

1) Bad for passengers because of being awkward or perhaps even dangerous to get to or from or wait at or perhaps just unpleasant to wait at.
2) Bad for drivers because of having to pull out into fast moving traffic or poor sightlines or needing to get across several lanes for a right turn shortly afterwards.
3) Bad for other road users as they can cause significant disruption to traffic flow, blind spots etc.

Of course, there are some that are bad on more than one of these.
FleetlinePhil

Post by FleetlinePhil »

^^ In category 3 of tricksat's list are all those in the Chicago area where the bus stop is at the block intersection lights. In this example on N Halstead St, the stop even shares the pole the lights are mounted on! So that means the right-turn only lane blocked on a fairly regular basis (route 8 along here has a 6/7 minute headway during rush-hours), and in my experience the buses are not particularly quick to load, fare-collection being more London-style than continental European. Then on one journey we were stationary for almost four minutes while a wheelchair alighted and an elderly gentleman using a zimmer-frame then boarded.

Think you could nip round the bus while it is loading and turn right from the next lane ? Not a good move, and specifically banned in fact.
Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

This bus stop at South Wimbledon Station is too close to the lights, as most (maybe all?) of the buses need to get in the right hand lane to go straight or right. Usually they just pull away in the left hand lane and wait to change lane at the end, blocking everyone from going left.
(The queue in the right lane is long during peak times)
Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Noticed this https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3189094 ... 384!8i8192 the other day at the top of a slip road joining the Weston Point expressway (60mph).