Speed limits for bicycles

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rhyds

Re: Speed limits for bicycles

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:12
Fenlander wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 08:32
fras wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 22:37 How on earth can a speed limit for cyclists be enforced ! They have no speedometer. The only thing I suppose would be to put up some speed indicators in the cycle lanes.
So if I remove the speedo from my car then the speed limits won’t apply to me?
Remove the speedo and you'll fail the MOT. It's one of very few instruments that are compulsory to have in working order.
MOT speedometer requirements are a bit odd.

In short a speedometer has to be fitted, must be working and it must be illuminated. However there's no actual check made of its functionality during the test. So technically as long as your speedometer looks functional (plastic/glass isn't cracked, needle seems physically connected etc) it should pass.
Built for comfort, not speed.
Herned

Post by Herned »

rhyds wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:23 In short a speedometer has to be fitted, must be working and it must be illuminated. However there's no actual check made of its functionality during the test. So technically as long as your speedometer looks functional (plastic/glass isn't cracked, needle seems physically connected etc) it should pass.
I used to have a Golf that was only 3 years old when I bought it, the speedo told complete lies, it would show about 70 going along at 30-40, and a trip on the motorway would easily show 140mph, when GPS showed 70ish. No problems with getting it through it's MOT, and apparently at least £800 to replace the whole unit as there is no way to just calibrate them, so I just worked out what the real speed would be based on the speed displayed and lived with it. Completely legal, according to the mechanic anyway
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

Until I saw an upside-down cycle mark on the carriageway half a second before the crash I saw nothing to tell me to expect oncoming traffic there. I would naturally expect such traffic to be on the other carriageway, where traffic is going the other way. The natural structure of roads is that progressing from the centre line you have traffic travelling progressively slower towards the left, all going in the same direction. The traffic going in the opposite direction is at the other side of the traffic going in this direction. There you've got contraflow traffic flowing between "slowest lane" and "next fastest lane". I wouldn't be saying "slow down", I'd be saying "get on the other side of the bloody road!"
I really don't know why TfL haven't painted a centre line along this section. They have in some locations, but not in others? I did wonder whether this is to do with tidal flows and what they see a plain strip of tarmac of a 'better use' of the carriageway in this regard? But, this is madness, as the embankment section sees cycle flow both ways all throughout the day. The other issue is 'heritage' and whether a dashed centre line detracts from the nearby 'heritage'? All in all this 'strange' planning idea does provide a 'safe' environment for congested and fast moving cycle traffic. Cycleways are essentially 'roads for bikes' as as such they should be laid out to reflect this fact.
Jim606

Post by Jim606 »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 09:29 Fastest I have gone on a bike is 58mph coming down from Alpe d'Huez via Villard-Reculas after the stage of the Tour-de-France in 2018. Fastest here is 49mph coming down Remenham Hill into Henley on the A4130. I get up to 40mph on other roads but don't go much faster given the poor state of many of our roads.
58mph is incredibly fast for a bicycle, but with a high spec racing bike in good condition and a lot of experience and nerve is eminently possible.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Jim606 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11
A303Chris wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 09:29 Fastest I have gone on a bike is 58mph coming down from Alpe d'Huez via Villard-Reculas after the stage of the Tour-de-France in 2018. Fastest here is 49mph coming down Remenham Hill into Henley on the A4130. I get up to 40mph on other roads but don't go much faster given the poor state of many of our roads.
58mph is incredibly fast for a bicycle, but with a high spec racing bike in good condition and a lot of experience and nerve is eminently possible.
There are a number of YouTube videos of people doing into three figures km/h on long Alpine descents, sometimes overtaking cars in the process. A bicycle is more manoeuvrable and easier to brake ahead of a hairpin, and also I suspect the people who upload such videos are aiming to go as fast as possible whereas the cars they overtake are driven by tourists who are looking at the view.

For me the big problem with such speeds is needing to rely on the surface being OK. In terms of being able to stop on your side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear, cycling down an Alpine pass is no different from driving down one. But road surfaces that are adequate for a car to safely traverse them at 80, 90, 100 km/h aren't necessarily OK for cyclists at the same speed, and often the holes are not visible very much in advance even when they're not just round a blind bend.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

With regard to the Embankment in London - it will have been Westminster Council complaining that cycle infrastructure is ugly whereas having road markings all over Parliament Square for cars is fine.

Cyclists are a form of traffic so the infrastructure provided for them should reflect this. We should also be allowed scaled down warning signs for cycle routes so they can be treated appropriately and not conflict with other signs.

The rest of Europe manages this.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

FosseWay wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:26 A bicycle is more manoeuvrable and easier to brake ahead of a hairpin...
Is that with disc brakes? My bike has conventional rubber pads on the edges of the rim. They are so weak and it takes forever to stop, especially going downhill.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Truvelo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 16:45
FosseWay wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:26 A bicycle is more manoeuvrable and easier to brake ahead of a hairpin...
Is that with disc brakes? My bike has conventional rubber pads on the edges of the rim. They are so weak and it takes forever to stop, especially going downhill.
Disc brakes are better, certainly in the wet, but in the dry, the limiting factor with rim brakes ought to be the point at which the wheels lock up, not the braking power per se. Obviously the risk of skidding and losing it depends a lot on your tyres and the surface, which is why I'd not be happy doing 80, 90, 100 km/h on the same stretch of road where doing those speeds in a car would be unexceptional - you just can't be sure of the surface or your ability to swerve around holes etc. without losing it or crossing the centre line.

Even better in the wet is a rear hub (backpedal) brake. These are immune to anything the weather can throw at them, which is why they tend to be fitted to city bikes in places where subzero temperatures are normal. The stopping power on my city bike is phenomenal, and because it acts on the rear wheel only, any skid is less likely to result in completely losing it. If applied enthusiastically it also tends to emit an elephantine trumpet that even the most plugged in of podestrians can hear.
marconaf

Post by marconaf »

Jim606 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:11
Coming down the Brenner pass in Austria (having spent most of the day getting up there via the back roads), my speedo went to “ - -“ which is apparantly what it did when maxxed out (Id seen it reading high 50s). Book said that was 65mph.

We were down in <20mins, exhilerating/terrifying ride though, lot of vibration and very, very gentle steering inputs only, mostly holding straight and just using weight shifting. Road was the main one so very smooth and wide plus gentle bends hence felt ok. Cars that had been trying to overtake initially ended up well behind us! Didnt really have a lot of speed control, pedals long since maxxed out and just freewheeling plus with road bike caliper brakes there isnt a lot of use holding them on anyway.

Glad I had wraparounds as even then the wind was tear inducing!

I did stop at one point as my waterbottle (I think it was that) vibrated off, good few 100m to stop then walk back for it.

My mate was well ahead of me so must have been even faster!
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

^^ This kind of thing exemplifies why it's daft trying to apply speed limits to bicycles. I don't know about Austria, but that kind of road in the UK or Germany would probably have a 60 mph or 90-100 km/h speed limit - in other words, more or less the speed you were doing. It sounds from what you say that you were happy with the surface etc. and were fully in control, so why not make use of the road. But if it had been a different NSL road, different rider, different bike, the speed would have been no less legal but could have been a whole lot more risky. That differentiation can only really be made by a person (cop) on the ground, not by a speed camera or similar.

The same is true tbh on roads with 30 mph limits. There are more places in my general area where I'd wipe out, or wipe someone else out, doing 30 legally than there are places where I theoretically could do more than that but I'd open myself to a speeding charge. Speed limits are set with motor vehicles in mind - their general speed, their acceleration, their momentum, their weight, what the front end is made of, their braking capacity, and, not least, the competence of their drivers. They don't therefore necessarily fit the characteristics of bicycles and their riders.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Furthermore those limits are set not on the characteristics of the road itself but what exists beside the road and what damage a vehicle could do if it leaves the road.
marconaf

Post by marconaf »

FosseWay wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 07:05 ^^ This kind of thing exemplifies why it's daft trying to apply speed limits to bicycles. I don't know about Austria, but that kind of road in the UK or Germany would probably have a 60 mph or 90-100 km/h speed limit - in other words, more or less the speed you were doing. It sounds from what you say that you were happy with the surface etc. and were fully in control, so why not make use of the road. But if it had been a different NSL road, different rider, different bike, the speed would have been no less legal but could have been a whole lot more risky. That differentiation can only really be made by a person (cop) on the ground, not by a speed camera or similar.

The same is true tbh on roads with 30 mph limits. There are more places in my general area where I'd wipe out, or wipe someone else out, doing 30 legally than there are places where I theoretically could do more than that but I'd open myself to a speeding charge. Speed limits are set with motor vehicles in mind - their general speed, their acceleration, their momentum, their weight, what the front end is made of, their braking capacity, and, not least, the competence of their drivers. They don't therefore necessarily fit the characteristics of bicycles and their riders.
Had a look online. It was the B182 heading into Austria from the Bremmer pass (not the authobahn!). Which I assume was the old pre authobahn route.

Came across this also:

viewtopic.php?t=9283

Refers to an even smaller road which I think is what we went up.

It’s an absolutely stunning valley and the engineering for the autobahn is impressive. As a ride it was incredible, that’s kind of the extreme end and never done/seen anything like it in the UK - perhaps coming southwards down the A6 at Shap might get close (only been up it sadly, man that was hard work!) and Glencoe was pretty cool but not the same level either. I wouldnt say it was particularly safe, but as I said with the brakes, there wasnt a huge amount to be done about the speed anyway. Being the old main road it was steep as befits the pass, but also wide, superb surface and gentle turns (sabre posts desricbr as twisty but I think cars and bikes have different scales!) so it was quite doable.

Tbh when cycling I’ve never considered the limits apply, all my attention is on positoning relative to traffic, and using bursts to fit in with cars etc. especially when I want to behave like one and take a slot in the traffic to do a junction/roundabout (and hence move out to hold that space - quid pro quo being I’ll be at the speed of the flow so not holding anyone up).

If on a pavement then obviously thats different - I’d always give way to pedestrians, but that takes us back to the old chestnut of how appalling UK cycling infra is and stupid shared space ideas are, which might be ok for kids (indeed mine are young and we’re on the pavement - but I teach them to give way and avoid peds) but is irrelevent for anyone actually trying to get anywhere using bike as a mode.

Having grown up cycling on a canal towpath, again, always gave way to peds, but a little brake application whilst coming up behind and locking the wheel for a small skid (as in small, just to generate the noise) 99% alerted people without excesive startle, and one could pass through then accelerate back to riding speed.

Their towpath gates were a pita (although a skid followed by an endo kicking the back round could expedite navigating them!) but clearly designed to stop all those knobbers on cheapo 2stroke motorbikes who like to rag up and down with zero consideration for anyone else (a plague in one of the places I live, with the standout exception of some Army lads who are incredibly polite and considerate) - I’ve just taken that pain as a price to pay for keeping them out. As a teenager with no other means to get about or between towns it never occurred they might have been to stop me!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

marconaf wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:17 Had a look online. It was the B182 heading into Austria from the Bremmer pass (not the authobahn!). Which I assume was the old pre authobahn route.

Came across this also:

viewtopic.php?t=9283

Refers to an even smaller road which I think is what we went up.

It’s an absolutely stunning valley and the engineering for the autobahn is impressive. As a ride it was incredible, that’s
I took a coach trip from the UK to Italy in the early 1970's when the Autobahn was nearing completion but we of course took the old route, the weather was not great and it was a cheap camera but I did take some snaps which give an idea of the scale of the work.
Attachments
Brenner 1973.jpg