Question about Congestion Charge/ULEZ

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Having a cuppa

Question about Congestion Charge/ULEZ

Post by Having a cuppa »

Long story short, the all knowing Sadiq Kahn is set to expand the ULEZ zone to the north and south circular on 24 October, 2021. The Congestion Charge zone isn't expanding, from what I understand.

In order to see what charges apply, I entered my number plate into this site: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

It states one charge applies, which is if I drive into the Congestion Charge zone during the active times.

However this vehicle was manufactured in 2006, uses petrol, and emits 152 grams of CO2 per kilometre (243g/mile).

Surely I cannot be exempt from the ULEZ charge, but the TFL website didn't mention anything about ULEZ applying to the vehicle.
Is this a mistake or do I not have to pay the ULEZ charge?
My car gets 90 leagues to the firkin and that's the way I like it!
thatapanydude

Re: Question about Congestion Charge/ULEZ

Post by thatapanydude »

I thought all Euro 5 cars (Jan 05) are permitted petrol wise, so you should be fine.
A1/A1(M) >>> M1
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

I have more than one vehicle - both my 2001 and 2020 petrol cars show as being exempt the ULEZ charge, but obviously not the central congestion charge. However, my motorcycles (1978 and 1981) aren't showing as exempt the ULEZ charge (but are obviously exempt the central congestion charge). One of the motorcycles is now registered as 'Historic' (over 41 years), and I've been led to believe 'Historic' registered vehicles are exempt the ULEZ charge. Either I'm wrong on that, or the website is.
Presumably your 2006 car meets the required maximum emission levels.

edit:
the checking website is wrong...
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/ultra- ... his-page-4
Last edited by Isleworth1961 on Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 20:56 I have more than one vehicle - both my 2001 and 2020 petrol cars show as being exempt the ULEZ charge, but obviously not the central congestion charge. However, my motorcycles (1978 and 1981) aren't showing as exempt the ULEZ charge (but are obviously exempt the central congestion charge). One of the motorcycles is now registered as 'Historic' (over 41 years), and I've been led to believe 'Historic' registered vehicles are exempt the ULEZ charge. Either I'm wrong on that, or the website is.
Presumably your 2006 car meets the required maximum emission levels.
Historical vehicles are exempt from ULEZ but not the Congestion Charge. It they weren't, Sadiq would have had me hung, drawn, and quartered for owning a 50 yr old car which still uses 4 star leaded.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:01 Historical vehicles are exempt from ULEZ...
Which makes a mockery of it really as they will not even comply with Euro 1 regs so are the worst polluters of all. But then again, I can see why they are excluded. Most vehicles over that age will probably be cosseted far more than 15 year old bangers which are ULEZ compliant.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

Truvelo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:05
Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:01 Historical vehicles are exempt from ULEZ...
Which makes a mockery of it really as they will not even comply with Euro 1 regs so are the worst polluters of all. But then again, I can see why they are excluded. Most vehicles over that age will probably be cosseted far more than 15 year old bangers which are ULEZ compliant.
The old smoky 2-stroke bikers take great delight in all this!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 20:33 Long story short, the all knowing Sadiq Kahn is set to expand the ULEZ zone to the north and south circular on 24 October, 2021. The Congestion Charge zone isn't expanding, from what I understand.

In order to see what charges apply, I entered my number plate into this site: https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

It states one charge applies, which is if I drive into the Congestion Charge zone during the active times.

However this vehicle was manufactured in 2006, uses petrol, and emits 152 grams of CO2 per kilometre (243g/mile).

Surely I cannot be exempt from the ULEZ charge, but the TFL website didn't mention anything about ULEZ applying to the vehicle.
No, it's no mistake. The requirement for cars to meet the ULEZ is that petrol engines have to meet Euro 4 standards (which were mandatory from 2005 onwards) and diesel engines have to meet Euro 6 standards (which were mandatory from 2015 onwards). The key is that the ULEZ is about local air quality, which is affected mostly by NOx and particulates rather than CO₂ – that is bad for the macro environment, but doesn't have the same direct impact on people's respiratory systems. Diesel engines naturally produce more of these emissions than petrol engines, which is why they need to meet stricter standards.

This is why when people complain that the ULEZ forces people to buy new cars that they might not be able to afford, it's a bit of a red herring, as 15-year-old petrol engined cars are absolutely fine for the ULEZ, and can easily be picked up for less than £1000.

It's this tension between NOx affecting local air quality and CO₂ affecting the macro environment that has led to the apparent U-turn in government policy on what is "greener". A few years ago, the focus was on global warming and climate change, and so everyone was encouraged to buy diesel cars as they produce less CO₂ – but now we know that, in an urban context, local air quality is at just as important if not more so, and so diesels are out of favour.
Having a cuppa

Post by Having a cuppa »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:34 No, it's no mistake. The requirement for cars to meet the ULEZ is that petrol engines have to meet Euro 4 standards (which were mandatory from 2005 onwards) and diesel engines have to meet Euro 6 standards (which were mandatory from 2015 onwards). The key is that the ULEZ is about local air quality, which is affected mostly by NOx and particulates rather than CO₂ – that is bad for the macro environment, but doesn't have the same direct impact on people's respiratory systems. Diesel engines naturally produce more of these emissions than petrol engines, which is why they need to meet stricter standards.

This is why when people complain that the ULEZ forces people to buy new cars that they might not be able to afford, it's a bit of a red herring, as 15-year-old petrol engined cars are absolutely fine for the ULEZ, and can easily be picked up for less than £1000.

It's this tension between NOx affecting local air quality and CO₂ affecting the macro environment that has led to the apparent U-turn in government policy on what is "greener". A few years ago, the focus was on global warming and climate change, and so everyone was encouraged to buy diesel cars as they produce less CO₂ – but now we know that, in an urban context, local air quality is at just as important if not more so, and so diesels are out of favour.
Thanks for the information. The vehicle was bought in the UK and made in 2006, so it is automatically Euro 4 right?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 22:17Thanks for the information. The vehicle was bought in the UK and made in 2006, so it is automatically Euro 4 right?
It should be, yes. I'm not sure exactly what the timeline was but the fact that the TFL checker has told you there's no charge for it is pretty good evidence that it is Euro 4.
(Mine has the opposite problem. The manufacturer says it is Euro 6, but DVSA (and so TFL) say it's only Euro 5. Fortunately I can't foresee any need to drive into a ULEZ that restricts private cars any time soon)
Scratchwood

Post by Scratchwood »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 21:34
Having a cuppa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 20:33 Long story short, the all knowing Sadiq Kahn is set to expand the ULEZ zone to the north and south circular on 24 October, 2021. The Congestion Charge zone isn't expanding, from what I understand.

No, it's no mistake. The requirement for cars to meet the ULEZ is that petrol engines have to meet Euro 4 standards (which were mandatory from 2005 onwards) and diesel engines have to meet Euro 6 standards (which were mandatory from 2015 onwards). The key is that the ULEZ is about local air quality, which is affected mostly by NOx and particulates rather than CO₂ – that is bad for the macro environment, but doesn't have the same direct impact on people's respiratory systems. Diesel engines naturally produce more of these emissions than petrol engines, which is why they need to meet stricter standards.

Exactly, this is about air quality, and in reality is a diesel charge as hardly any petrol vehicles will be affected - I have a 2002 petrol Focus which meets the standard, so clearly was Euro 4 several years before it was mandatory

For private motorists it will be easy to not be affected, the people I feel a bit sorry for are small businesses with a non Euro 6 diesel van, as they face replacing what might be a relatively new vehicle, and there aren't older secondhand petrol powered vans available. I imagine Euro 6 diesel vans are selling at a premium at the moment

Good news for businesses outside London though, I imagine there will be a glut of Euro 5 vans on the market