‘No motor vehicles’ sign on motorway

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JRN

Re: ‘No motor vehicles’ sign on motorway

Post by JRN »

JRN wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 14:18
Bomag wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:39 For those who want no entry signs, this would only be suitable if traffic was prohibited on one direction on a road otherwise open to traffic i.e. there is no entry but there is an exit. Diagram 616 is like double white line systems (which mean keep to the lest of the line and not 'do not cross') in that lazy use by designers confuse road users as to the correct meaning.
I get that usually No Entry signs are used at one end of a one-way road, but is this the only only prescribed use?
* Meant to add:
The know your traffic signs guide says that it's usually used at end of one way road, but doesn't seem to say that's its only use.
solocle

Post by solocle »

JRN wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 14:20
Bomag wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:39 For those who want no entry signs, this would only be suitable if traffic was prohibited on one direction on a road otherwise open to traffic i.e. there is no entry but there is an exit. Diagram 616 is like double white line systems (which mean keep to the lest of the line and not 'do not cross') in that lazy use by designers confuse road users as to the correct meaning.
I get that usually No Entry signs are used at one end of a one-way road, but is this the only only prescribed use?
* Meant to add:
The know your traffic signs guide says that it's usually used at end of one way road, but doesn't seem to say that's its only use.
Plenty of counter examples.
5F7ED526-8756-4D75-BD2C-38557D6E9787.jpeg
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

It can be used were traffic is restricted in one direction (with plate) but free in the other. Examples are cycles, buses' and trams. The critical issue is that the restriction is in one direction, so a road which is bus only in both directions must be signed with the relevant white on blue roundel.
OLD GIT

Post by OLD GIT »

magd1272 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 00:31 The rebuilt secret exit from the M6 at Yarnfield (between J14-15) has a ‘no motor vehicles’ sign https://goo.gl/maps/k2C63bN7GJmkrtFH6

I don’t recall ever seeing this on a motorway before. Normally I think it’s a blue sign saying police / authorised vehicles only. Is this an error, or am I just not very observant?
Yarnfield AKA STONE to generations of Telecomms Engineers from circa 1946( i believe) to present day( in Green vans/some yelow , then other hues and shades. I'd put that ( and the fact that Yarnfield is a training /conference centre, and travelling south on the M6 means drivers must get off early and go down the (from memory) A34 to Stone turning.
TS

Post by TS »

solocle wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 15:33
JRN wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 14:20

* Meant to add:
Yes, that's a counter example of "used on a one-way road". But it isn't a counter example of what I think of as the distinction between No Entry and No Vehicles.

I think of "No Vehicles" to mean they shouldn't be on that strip of tarmac, but "No Entry" means that they can be on it, just not enter it from that particular point.

So I think that No Entry (with an exceptions plate below) is far more satisfactory on motorway sidings than "No Motor Vehicles". Plus, as said elsewhere, it is an instantly recognisable sign, almost universally.
michael769

Post by michael769 »

solocle wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 15:33
Trivia: While the no entry sign is mostly used to indicate the existence of a TRO (and generally cannot be lawfully placed without one), in some specific circumstances it can have legal authority in it's own right without the need for a TRO - the most common example of this is when used at junctions where traffic in different directions is separated by a traffic island (example).
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
Take the pledge