Highest house number within London

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Vierwielen

Re: Highest house number within London

Post by Vierwielen »

Hugo Nebula wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 20:43
Piatkow wrote:
c2R wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 23:33

Now that is a good topic...

Apton Road, Bishops Stortford manages to escape termination at a roundabout and continue in a different direction... it then continues past cemetary road and then becomes Scott Road, half way between Cemetary Road and Fairlands... it simply doesn't make any sense.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 18&layer=0
You need to verify things like that on the ground or with StreetView. Shifting the point where street names change is one of the copyright traps they put on maps.

Looking at an ABC map I was thoroughly confused as I couldn't pick the site of the house were I spent my earliest years. A quick virtual journey on Google checking the street name plates showed that the names changed at a crossroad not at the illogical point that the map showed.
Road names change at a boundary because of why they are named. Cases such as Stockport Road in Manchester are roads that went _to_ that named place. You can often tell where a district/ village/ town/ city boundary is by where it becomes the name of the place you're coming from.

Numbers on such a road start closest to that centre, with the odds on the left as you're leaving town.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
Here is a good example, taken in the Netherlands, of No 1 being at the end of a road, but in the middle of the town. Unfortunately I could not get an imager of the No 1 on the continuation of this road (in the vicinity of the roadworks), as the Germans do not allow the operation of Google cars.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Hugo Nebula wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 20:43
Piatkow wrote:
c2R wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 23:33

Now that is a good topic...

Apton Road, Bishops Stortford manages to escape termination at a roundabout and continue in a different direction... it then continues past cemetary road and then becomes Scott Road, half way between Cemetary Road and Fairlands... it simply doesn't make any sense.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 18&layer=0
You need to verify things like that on the ground or with StreetView. Shifting the point where street names change is one of the copyright traps they put on maps.

Looking at an ABC map I was thoroughly confused as I couldn't pick the site of the house were I spent my earliest years. A quick virtual journey on Google checking the street name plates showed that the names changed at a crossroad not at the illogical point that the map showed.
Road names change at a boundary because of why they are named. Cases such as Stockport Road in Manchester are roads that went _to_ that named place. You can often tell where a district/ village/ town/ city boundary is by where it becomes the name of the place you're coming from.

Numbers on such a road start closest to that centre, with the odds on the left as you're leaving town.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk
I think that there are some examples where the name of the road doesn't change but the numbering starts at 1 again. This is because it changes from "(road name), Anytown" to "(road name), Nowheresville".

On a slightly different tack, the A505 in Letchworth Garden City changes from Baldock Road to Hitchin Road here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.9685412 ... 312!8i6656

This seems rather random until you realise that the road to the left that the Volvo is about to emerge from is the road to the original small village of Letchworth that predates the Garden City.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I think I may have mentioned elsewhere that the Stratford and Warwick Roads heading out of Birmingham both have numbering resets as they pass into Solihull borough, and in both cases I think the odd and even numbers swap sides
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I happen to know that the first house on West Terrace , North Ormesby, Middlesbrough is number 37.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.57153 ... 8192?hl=en

It was not always so, when I lived there between 1957 and 1961 the area looked very different, then they ploughed the A66 through there destroying several communities in the process. Our house was the nearest to the road works not to be demolished.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 17&layer=6
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

KeithW wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 23:37 I happen to know that the first house on West Terrace , North Ormesby, Middlesbrough is number 37.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.57153 ... 8192?hl=en

It was not always so, when I lived there between 1957 and 1961 the area looked very different, then they ploughed the A66 through there destroying several communities in the process. Our house was the nearest to the road works not to be demolished.
My dad's birth house went the way of the bulldozer on construction of the A102(M) (now A12) at Hackney Wick. Was the last house in Bushberry Road at its junction with Bartripp Street/Benn Street.

If you put the fader on, its actually the entry slip road that finished it. I'm not sure the Luftwaffe didn't blow it up first with aerial mines. I didn't ask him properly in his lifetime if that was one of the houses that was destroyed. I know the last one was beaten by a V1.

Would have been just past the last house here.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Hempshaw Lane in Stockport has quite a few gaps in the numbering, some of it can be explained by buildings being demolished to build St Mary's Way in the 1980s, but there's quite a big gap further along where there is a park.

I presume the numbers were roughly divided into plots & allocated before the decision to use some of the area as a park was made.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

trickstat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 22:40 I think that there are some examples where the name of the road doesn't change but the numbering starts at 1 again. This is because it changes from "(road name), Anytown" to "(road name), Nowheresville".
There are also roads that change name but the numbering continues, for example here where West Street turns into Glossop Road and here where Whitham Road becomes Fulwood Road.
silverfoxcc

Post by silverfoxcc »

When i worked for BT in Peterborough I dealt with phone applications around the Spalding Area and had IIRC the same road that changed from Bourne Road Spalding, to Spalding Road Bourne
Mapper89062

Post by Mapper89062 »

My road starts on the odd side at number 3, but has a space of scrubland where number 1 might be able to squeeze in. Perhaps an extra house was planned and cancelled there, or the number was reserved in case they ever developed it.
Just your average mapper, bringing you a map-focused take on today's world
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

avtur wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 19:15
trickstat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 09:27
A320Driver wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 08:38

No postcode has that amount of addresses within it, I’d imagine the road is divided into many postcodes.
In my experience it is rare for a single postcode to cover more than about 80-100 properties. I live in a road that has a single postcode, but it is a cul-de-sac with about 15 addresses.
I understand the average number of addresses per post code is 15, with a maximum of 100. Where I live there are 35 properties with the same postcode, unusually 25 of the properties do not have a number, only names. Royal Mail manage very well with this but anyone visiting/delivering for the first time it often causes problems. When someone who is trying to find our house calls to say "I've found the postcode, but I can't find your house" our default reaction is to go out to the road and wave ... "here we are" :laugh:
If the company allows you to put instructions, look at the nearest lamppost or telegraph pole, they're often numbered, say what number on the one closest to you, say what car you have,I have in the past had to ask people several times what car they have because they've just been giving me **** I don't want to know.
Have a very clear name in a prominent location and you can always add the What3words for your address in the notes.

One time I rang up a customer and had the following conversation.
"Hi there I appreciate you have a name and not a number"
"Yes, we're the Birches" (name changed to protect anonymity)
"That's fine, but most of the houses on this street have numbers, what number is the house closest to you?"
"Well, we're 57, but we don't use our number"
I got there and said "would you have done that to me if I was an ambulance"?

Some people are ****ing idiots they're too stuck up to use a house number when they've got one.
avtur

Post by avtur »

ajuk wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 02:45
avtur wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 19:15
trickstat wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 09:27

In my experience it is rare for a single postcode to cover more than about 80-100 properties. I live in a road that has a single postcode, but it is a cul-de-sac with about 15 addresses.
I understand the average number of addresses per post code is 15, with a maximum of 100. Where I live there are 35 properties with the same postcode, unusually 25 of the properties do not have a number, only names. Royal Mail manage very well with this but anyone visiting/delivering for the first time it often causes problems. When someone who is trying to find our house calls to say "I've found the postcode, but I can't find your house" our default reaction is to go out to the road and wave ... "here we are" :laugh:
If the company allows you to put instructions, look at the nearest lamppost or telegraph pole, they're often numbered, say what number on the one closest to you, say what car you have,I have in the past had to ask people several times what car they have because they've just been giving me **** I don't want to know.
Have a very clear name in a prominent location and you can always add the What3words for your address in the notes.
I appreciate the suggestion but we're in a semi rural location and lamp posts and telegraph poles aren't as numerous as they might be. Besides the prominent sign with the house name which is situated on my gatepost at the kerbside (no footpath in front of the house) is considerably easier to read than any serial number on lamp or telegraph pole. The house name can easily be read from the driver's seat of any passing vehicle ... if only they would try and look. Also the house name is clearly visible on Google street view, there has been an attempt to blur it out, but the blurring is in the wrong place. Whenever there is the opportunity to offer directions I say we're second on the right after you turn into ***** Road, it could hardly be easier, but still they miss us!
doebag

Post by doebag »

silverfoxcc wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 20:28 When i worked for BT in Peterborough I dealt with phone applications around the Spalding Area and had IIRC the same road that changed from Bourne Road Spalding, to Spalding Road Bourne
Yes, plenty of examples in this part of the world. If you’re in ‘a town’ then the road leads to ‘a village’ and vice-versa.
I would imagine the change happened at the parish boundaries in many cases, and in a time when everyone knew everyone and houses didn’t need numbers it wasn’t a problem.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

ajuk wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 02:45
you can always add the What3words for your address in the notes.
Don't do that if you live in a block of flats though ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps