Historical classifications around Poole

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

TS

Historical classifications around Poole

Post by TS »

Evening all
I've been collecting a few A-Z atlases and fold-out street plans and it is interesting to see the various changes that have taken place. Most are adequately covered in the Wiki articles and I am always in awe of the historical information that is held and evidenced there.

I am also aware that maps DO make mistakes. I notice that the OS One-Inch maps (presumably wrongly) marked the initial incarnation of the A3049 Old Wareham Road as the A3409.

But I am also interested in a couple of bits of Poole, where there is no Wiki mention - and I wonder if these are mapping errors.

(I am going to ignore the controversy of the A347/8 in Ferndown, as I've already opened a can of worms on that and it didn't attract any flies!)

Firstly, the B3093 - the Wiki map marks the southern appendage but the text doesn't. I think it is reasonably certain that this was once part of the B3093 but no longer is. My 2009 A-Z marks it as a B road and my later one doesn't. In 1991 this was the only extent of the B3093 because the present-day part was still the A349 (pre Holes Bay).

However, looking back at even older A-Z mapping, this was once marked as the B3070. Do we suppose that this is just a typo, as the existing B3070 in Lulworth is well established.

Another oddity is the B3068 which has changed over the years as the A350 Holes Bay Road was built, along with other changes. The Wiki page adequately deals with the current route, and also mentions the history of it being only the Upton-Poole part.

But I have an A-Z here which marks Sterte Road and Fleets Lane (i.e. Hunger Hill to Fleetsbridge) as being the B3068. It is not marked as such until the 1988 edition, when the Holes Bay Road is projected, and in the next edition (1991) where the Holes Bay Road has been updated as the A350 but Blandford Road through Upton is also still marked as the A350. By the 1995 edition the B3068 is correctly shown as replacing the A350 through Upton and it no longer goes to Fleetsbridge and has been rerouted along the Ringwood Road to Alderney.

The Wiki makes no mention of that Fleetsbridge stretch ever being classified and I cannot find any obvious evidence of it elsewhere. If it was indeed so, then it was only there for about 7 or 8 years between the mid-80s and about 1993.

(To confound things just a little bit more, I have a street plan from about 1960(ish: post Christchurch By-Pass but pre Spur Road) which labels the West Quay Road section of the B3068 as the B3088. That's the part that Wiki says was the original, short extent of the B3068, so it seems that is just a mapping typo.)

From the SABRE Wiki: B3093 :

The B3093 is a short (1.25 km) road -- formerly a detached section of the A349 -- connecting the town centre of Poole to the A35 at Oakdale.

It starts in the heart of the town beside the imposing Barclays International building on The George Roundabout, from where it heads north along Wimborne Road, passing the police station housed in the new "Joint

... Read More