Road signs not intended for users of the road

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JohnnyMo

Road signs not intended for users of the road

Post by JohnnyMo »

See Here The Pedestrian prohibited is to stop Pedestrian escaping. I wonder are there any other examples where there are road signs not relevant to the road user.

I don't mean where the sight line is confusing as in Sandy, A1
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
wrinkly

Re: Road signs not intended for users of the road

Post by wrinkly »

Not intended for the majority of road users:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.22691 ... 384!8i8192
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Similar concept: those signs, usually a black line on a yellow hat on top of a pole, that show where pipelines run.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:36 Similar concept: those signs, usually a black line on a yellow hat on top of a pole, that show where pipelines run.
Most certainly not for road users, they are used by people in helicopters or airplanes.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

RichardA35 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:45 Most certainly not for road users, they are used by people in helicopters or airplanes.
And I assume occasionally by those needing to find the pipe to repair it, and by those wanting to avoid the pipe while they do something else.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:51
RichardA35 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 20:45 Most certainly not for road users, they are used by people in helicopters or airplanes.
And I assume occasionally by those needing to find the pipe to repair it, and by those wanting to avoid the pipe while they do something else.
Having buit a few things in proximity to large pipelines, if the pipe should need repair you would probably have a large radius of evacuation as there would be high presssure gas or aviation fuel leaking and there would be no problem finding it.
If people wish to dig in the vicinity, there is a whole team of asset protection staff who will trace the pipeline and mark out the exact location.
If you should casually dig (with a machine) in the immediate vicinity without informing the pipeline owner and the weekly helicopter flight notices it and has to land, it is generally a bill of £5-10k to the party concerned as well as possible prosecution under H & S law.