Travel time maps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Travel time maps

Post by ChrisH »

I came across http://www.oalley.net which allows you to create maps showing how far you can go in a certain time, using Google Maps data.

I used to to find out how quickly I can drive to the beach, which gives an interesting set of outputs. Noticeably it says that in five hours I could be sipping champagne in Reims or having frites in Antwerp, or climbing the fells in the Lake District but I wouldn't yet have got to Penzance. And this doesn't include traffic which would make the trip to the SW slower again.

You have to register for free on the website but it provides a good level of functionality I think. Have fun.

(The quickest decent beach from me is in Christchurch)
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Travel time maps

Post by c2R »

ChrisH wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 16:45 I came across http://www.oalley.net which allows you to create maps showing how far you can go in a certain time, using Google Maps data.

I used to to find out how quickly I can drive to the beach, which gives an interesting set of outputs. Noticeably it says that in five hours I could be sipping champagne in Reims or having frites in Antwerp, or climbing the fells in the Lake District but I wouldn't yet have got to Penzance. And this doesn't include traffic which would make the trip to the SW slower again.

You have to register for free on the website but it provides a good level of functionality I think. Have fun.

(The quickest decent beach from me is in Christchurch)
Thanks for the link - this is pretty interesting stuff - amazing what can be done in real time by crunching data!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
jervi

Post by jervi »

Think the technical name for those are Isochrone Maps. You will find those on transport statements for planning applications.
I tried to build one a few years back using OSM data, however it was far too technical for me to do.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Just had a quick play on my phone, it’s very pessimistic of how far I can drive in an hour, especially off the main road network.