Old A14 route

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

mike225

Old A14 route

Post by mike225 »

Evening all, first post from me. I was reading an article and it got me thinking about the quirky nature of our roads, something which I've always found fascinating. On a recent holiday to the Peak District I got a little bit obsessed with the old destroyed A625 route.

Anyway, my company used to be based just outside Bury St Edmunds on the edge of a village called Tostock, next to the A14. The road we were on was the old main road route before the A14 was built, I believe, but I always found THIS bit of closed off road very interesting. Beyond the gate, the road heads up past a newly placed gravel company before disappearing into a treeline and seemingly fizzling out. On Google Maps you can see where it would've previously continued the other side of the A14 into the next village (Woolpit). Loved walking up the old route on my lunch breaks!

See you all around!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Old A14 route

Post by c2R »

Hi Mike,
Welcome to SABRE - our wiki contains all sorts of roads related detail including a section on abandoned roads, although that ex-A45 stump needs adding!

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... doned_Road
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps

From the SABRE Wiki: Abandoned Road :

An abandoned road is a route which has fallen out of use, usually because the route has been realigned or bypassed as part of a junction improvement.

Abandoned roads have been listed in five country pages as follows:

See also:

... Read More
KeithW

Re: Old A14 route

Post by KeithW »

That was the original A45. You can see it by overlaying the OS 7th series map with the modern one and ujsing the map fader.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 00,0.10000,