A5 Hinckley to Tamworth

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jackal

A5 Hinckley to Tamworth

Post by jackal »

Dualling this road has been an ambition of local politicians for several years, and it made it into RIS2 as an RIS3 pipeline scheme.

The recent HE Delivery Plan Update added a new housing infrastructure scheme, A5 Dordon to Atherstone, for RIS3. Local press indicate the funding bid was £55m. This modest price is suggestive of an at-grade route. Even so it could be challenging as there are considerable constraints on the current corridor. It will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Presumably it is the first step of the wider Hinckley to Tamworth scheme, indicated at around half a billion: https://atherstone.nub.news/n/atherston ... ling-of-a5

Wisely the long-delayed small scale A5 Dodwalls to Longshoot scheme is dropped from the updated delivery plan. This would have been likely to conflict with the more ambitious plans, which may be offline.

There has been previous discussion in the speculative thread here, but this seems concrete enough now to be in B&IR.
Micro The Maniac

Re: A5 Hinckley to Tamworth

Post by Micro The Maniac »

The challenge for Dordon-Attherstone is the stretch through Grendon... there isn't the space for online, with all the direct-frontages :(

Which is probably why it hasn't been done before!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Yet again a strategic road is being handed over to housing developers though, I bet there's absolutely naff all provision planned to make it possible (not mandatory, before the usual bores turn up) to live in these new shoeboxes without a car.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jackal

Post by jackal »

Dordon to Atherstone will at least be delivered by HE though it's funded from the housing infrastructure fund.

I don't have especially high hopes for it though. If they hadn't built the business park right up to Dordon they could easily have bypassed it to the south. As things are I suppose it will just plug in to the rbt at Dordon with the old DC with property frontages west of there retained.

Grendon will be bypassed to the north I expect.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

jackal wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 13:39 Dordon to Atherstone will at least be delivered by HE though it's funded from the housing infrastructure fund.

I don't have especially high hopes for it though. If they hadn't built the business park right up to Dordon they could easily have bypassed it to the south. As things are I suppose it will just plug in to the rbt at Dordon with the old DC with property frontages west of there retained.

Grendon will be bypassed to the north I expect.
The business park on the old Birch Coppice mine funded one of the major improvements to M42 Jct 10, the widening of the northbound off-slip from 2 lanes to 5 to prevent/reduce the queueing back down the 2-lane M42 to Jct 9.

Grendon housing developments are already spreading north of the village.
Lifelong motorhead