A3 Guildford tunnel - could it happen?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Micro The Maniac

Re: A3 Guildford tunnel - could it happen?

Post by Micro The Maniac »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 Is this coming in the December timetable change?
No... it's been like this for a while.

Some go through to Alton, but maybe not all?

The Ascot-Aldershot train hasn't gone to or from Guildford in recent years, to my memory. Presumably it would need to reverse at Aldershot if it did.
Yup... it would sit in Aldershot for ~20 minutes then reverse to Guildford... by removing the reverse to Guildford, but linking with the Guildford-Aldershot-Farnham-Alton shuttle this has improved things.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 13:21
Chris5156 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 Is this coming in the December timetable change?
No... it's been like this for a while.

Some go through to Alton, but maybe not all?
I have to admit I only ever use the shuttle in the evening, post-1900, because the frequency of the Waterloo-Alton trains is reduced in the evening and it's sometimes quicker to get a fast train to Guildford and change there for the shuttle than wait for a direct train. At that time they only ever go to Farnham; I have to admit I had no idea they ever extended to Alton!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:56 The Ascot-Aldershot train hasn't gone to or from Guildford in recent years, to my memory. Presumably it would need to reverse at Aldershot if it did. The only trains on the line between Guildford and Ash are GWR services to Reading and the SWR Guildford-Farnham shuttle.
Yes it did. I recall having used Aldershot station in the 1990's.
Micro The Maniac

Chris5156 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 13:37 At that time they only ever go to Farnham; I have to admit I had no idea they ever extended to Alton!
Out of curiosity, I checked the current timetable...

Only Waterloo services continue through to Alton... Guildford trains via Aldershot all currently terminate at Farnham - which makes little sense given the track layout at Farnham, although just up-track is the traincare depot...

But this exercise did highlight one amusing interchanges in the area... walking the half-a-mile (or so) between Ash Vale Station and North Camp Station

There is a similar one at Farnborough where walking the mile or so between Farnborough Main (on the SW Main Line) and Farnborough North (on the NDL) is a designated route... as is the mile-and-a-bit walk between Frimley (on Ascot-Aldershot line) and Farnborough North (NDL)
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 08:05
Chris5156 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 13:37At that time they only ever go to Farnham; I have to admit I had no idea they ever extended to Alton!
Out of curiosity, I checked the current timetable...

Only Waterloo services continue through to Alton... Guildford trains via Aldershot all currently terminate at Farnham - which makes little sense given the track layout at Farnham, although just up-track is the traincare depot...
Ah, this is what I thought :)

Yes, when the shuttle terminates at Farnham, they walk through the train to make sure it's empty and it then goes up the line to the sidings near the depot before reversing.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 08:05 There is a similar one at Farnborough where walking the mile or so between Farnborough Main (on the SW Main Line) and Farnborough North (on the NDL) is a designated route... as is the mile-and-a-bit walk between Frimley (on Ascot-Aldershot line) and Farnborough North (NDL)
I was once directed to walk between Farnborough and Farnborough North stations. I was on a regular commuter run to Waterloo that stopped at Farnbrough. On this particular occasion, the line between Farnborough and Waterloo was closed somewhere. (Jumper?) Passengers from a 12-coach commuter train disembarked at Farnborough and all walked to Farnborough North. Options were Farnborough North - Wokingham (change) - Waterloo or Farnborough North - Reading (change) - Paddington. It really depended where in London you were going.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Would it help at all if there was a direct link from the NE-bound A3 to the eastbound A31 into Guildford? At least then traffic heading into town wouldn't get mixed up with traffic joining from the (primary) A31
Micro The Maniac

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 23:08 Would it help at all if there was a direct link from the NE-bound A3 to the eastbound A31 into Guildford? At least then traffic heading into town wouldn't get mixed up with traffic joining from the (primary) A31
Do you mean, effectively, by-passing the B3000 between Compton and Puttenham?

I'm not sure where in Guildford such NE-bound A3 traffic would be heading that the Cathedral or Dennis Roundabout junctions do not adequately serve - certainly the majority of traffic on the B3000 turns left towards Farnham/Aldershot/Farnborough. I'm sure someone could work out the AADTs but I don't think it's significant enough to justify trying to solve the geological challenges and height differentials.
Micro The Maniac

Vierwielen wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 19:04 Passengers from a 12-coach commuter train disembarked at Farnborough and all walked to Farnborough North. Options were Farnborough North - Wokingham (change) - Waterloo or Farnborough North - Reading (change) - Paddington.
That will have been fun (not!) - two-an-hour 3-car trains in each direction?!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 09:06
Vierwielen wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2023 19:04 Passengers from a 12-coach commuter train disembarked at Farnborough and all walked to Farnborough North. Options were Farnborough North - Wokingham (change) - Waterloo or Farnborough North - Reading (change) - Paddington.
That will have been fun (not!) - two-an-hour 3-car trains in each direction?!
Correct! I think that some of the passengers might have taken taxis to Wokingham or Guildford (for Victoria). Of course there were only a finite number of taxis at Farnborough Station.

In contrast, in January 2012 I was working in Frankfurt (commuting to the UK fortnightly) and my son was posted to Rheindahlen. On a Sunday when I did not return to the UK, I took the train to visit him. WHen got to Bonn Hauptbahnhof, there was a hold-up (line closed), so Deutsche Bahn instructed everybody on the train to catch taxis to Bonn Beuel (5 km) and to fill out forms that the taxi company had. There was a long wait at Bomm Beuel, but I got there in the end. The final 10 km of my journey were from Moenchenglabbach Hauptbahnhof to teh barracks at Rheindalen by taxi. The taxi driver spent the whole time complaining that the British were pulling out of their bases in Germany (and possibly he was losing good custom as well).