Consumer Tip - Secret Services

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

CallumParry

Re: Consumer Tip - Secret Services

Post by CallumParry »

I tend to use the Boroughbridge Morrisons just of Junction 48 of the A1(M) for fuels and snacks "miles" pardon the pun :D better value than Wetherby MSA
Capture.PNG
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

My recent trip to Abington services underlines for me how much I dislike MSAs. In this instance there wasn't anything wrong with the place as such, just far too many people using it all at once.

It's not easy to find places that have all you need and yet aren't crowded, which of course isn't knowable until you get there.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

CallumParry wrote:I tend to use the Boroughbridge Morrisons just of Junction 48 of the A1(M) for fuels and snacks "miles" pardon the pun :D better value than Wetherby MSA
Capture.PNG
This certainly used to be signposted from the A1(M) as we've stopped there before after following the signs.
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 09:01 My recent trip to Abington services underlines for me how much I dislike MSAs. In this instance there wasn't anything wrong with the place as such, just far too many people using it all at once.

It's not easy to find places that have all you need and yet aren't crowded, which of course isn't knowable until you get there.
We found Cairn Lodge (Happendon) MSA quiet and relaxing when we went up to Scotland earlier this year - but I suspect that no MSA was quiet during English/Scottish school holidays once Covid restriction were lifted.
Lifelong motorhead
Dave908

Post by Dave908 »

I always stop at Lockerbie Tesco rather than Annandale Water services.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Dave908 wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:45 I always stop at Lockerbie Tesco rather than Annandale Water services.
That's a good shout. We normally stop at Laing's coffee shop which is near the A7 and M6 junction. But we had been delayed around Glasgow so we couldn't make it.
doebag

Post by doebag »

marrgrangefarmshop.co.uk

Farm shop and teas room not far from J37 on the A1 at Doncaster

Not the biggest space or car park but when we visited pre COVID, they had plans to enlarge both.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

When travelling to catch a mid-morning Channel Tunnel train, I have often stopped at the Tesco restaurant off Junction 10 and rejoined the M20 at Junction 10A. Their cooked breakfast is probably a similar quality to the one that you could buy at the Channel Tunnel Terminal, but at half the price.

BTW, I normally try to arrive at the terminal two hours before my check-in time and they often let me onto the next train at no extra cost.
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Ruperts Trooper wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 09:40
Mark Hewitt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 09:01 My recent trip to Abington services underlines for me how much I dislike MSAs. In this instance there wasn't anything wrong with the place as such, just far too many people using it all at once.

We found Cairn Lodge (Happendon) MSA quiet and relaxing when we went up to Scotland earlier this year - but I suspect that no MSA was quiet during English/Scottish school holidays once Covid restriction were lifted.
We have now permanently given up on Cairn Lodge. Pulled off the M74/A74M on a northbound run to find the cafe/bogs block was closed and seemingly abandoned.

Never again! Southwaite is our usual target for driver changes and "coffee out, coffee in" in both directions.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
ryzzey

Post by ryzzey »

I highly recommend Teals just off the A303 Eastbound between Sparkford and Wincanton.

Highly recommend the very nice coffee and sausage rolls.

There’s also what looks like an old slip road as if they had planned services there some years ago, visible on Google Maps:
https://goo.gl/maps/LqJRyBFXNED56jwE8
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

A few hundred yards north west of M42 junction 4 is a Tesco and a Notcutts garden centre, both with restaurant/cafeteria. There's also a Tesco petrol station.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

When travelling to the West Country on the A303, we tend to drop in to Stourhead for refreshments. Not only that (standard NT fare), but there is also a nice walk for our furry friend without going onto NT property.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

On the A1 near Grantham is Downtown, a large department store and garden centre. It sits conveniently halfway between London and Middlesbrough. I had to take Mum there today so my sister could pick her up for a weekend up north.

They have no restrictions on parking times, a big car park and a very nice cafe in the garden centre. Plus you can shop for home furnishings, lawn mowers, books, toys and clothes. While I was there a coach party turned up for their monthly shop....
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

There's a huge Tesco Extra at M5 J11a (Gloucester) which is very convenient too. It oddly has its own B road B4641 - I presume this was numbered to enocurage use of the Business Park?!? It's a nice oddity.

From the SABRE Wiki: B4641 :

The B4641 is a short link road serving Gloucester Business Park. The road gained its number around 2000.

The road starts at the roundabout at M5 J11A, where it meets the A417 and M5, although owing to the layout of this interchange getting to/from this roundabout requires a detour east via the A46 junction; traffic to the business park is simply

... Read More