Consumer Tip - Secret Services

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

2 Sheds

Re: Consumer Tip - Secret Services

Post by 2 Sheds »

M19 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 22:37 We had a day trip to Wales during the week and decided to take the M6Toll. As usual it was very quiet and decided to stop at Norton Caines for a comfort break.

The place was rammed. It seems no one was on the motorway because they were all at the service area. I couldn’t understand how such a quiet stretch of motorway could have a service area so busy.
I’ve experienced exactly the same and was dumbfounded. Do you think people are trying to get more for their toll money by extending the time spent on the toll motorway? :lol:
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

2 Sheds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 08:47
M19 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 22:37 We had a day trip to Wales during the week and decided to take the M6Toll. As usual it was very quiet and decided to stop at Norton Caines for a comfort break.

The place was rammed. It seems no one was on the motorway because they were all at the service area. I couldn’t understand how such a quiet stretch of motorway could have a service area so busy.
I’ve experienced exactly the same and was dumbfounded. Do you think people are trying to get more for their toll money by extending the time spent on the toll motorway? :lol:
I think it's because people assume it will be quiet.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Coming back from West Wales last week via the Severn Bridge, we initially intended to stop at the northbound Gloucester Services for a decent coffee and sandwich.
But we sailed past there up to Tewkesbury where the wife suggested heading from the Brewers Fayre on the way into town, but I was not keen so found reason to keep to the outside line, missing the junction.
A few miles further north, I suddenly remembered a place just near Junction 7, so we ended up having a very civilised (but slighly late) lunch in the Swan at Whittington.
Let it snow.
Gav

Post by Gav »

Heading up to Aberdeen...

Forfar where the A94 intersects the A90...

Its a good place to pull off.... Right there McD KFC Greggs Petrol Station and Starbucks all within a stones throw of each other.

maybe not so secret but it is a good place for a stop.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Big L wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:12
2 Sheds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 08:47

I think it's because people assume it will be quiet.
or a better class of customer
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

One I've used is Grantham Services -- Of the slip road turn right into a garden centre with a nice café upstairs
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
jnty

Post by jnty »

I've noticed the same thing and do wonder why. I think the expectation it will be quiet doesn't help, but I suppose that while there are fewer people on the road, an unusually large proportion of them will be doing the sort of long journey where a service station stop is required. Geographically, it's more likely to be in the middle of a lot of journeys too.

I think there's another factor though, which is the psychological feeling of 'hard won' miles and making progress. If you're in heavy or queueing traffic, stopping at a service station can somehow feel like you're making it worse or giving up. I suppose you are elongating the frustrating experience of congestion - the "let's just get through this and we can stop afterwards" effect - but obviously, unless the situation is significantly deteriorating, when you choose to stop should have no particular effect on your journey time. The M6 toll is almost always free flowing so would never affected by this, whereas congestion is common on all the surrounding roads.

So maybe the best place to stop is just before or after the M6T in bumper to bumper traffic?!
haymansafc

Post by haymansafc »

Speaking of garden centres, another one worth considering as a 'service station' would be Houghton Hall - which is located just over a mile off M6 junction 44, along the A689. You can see it clearly from the motorway when heading north. When heading south, it's something you need to 'know' that's there.

I've used this a couple of times over the likes of Gretna Green - both the service station and the place (Todhills has never appealed to me, even when it was still the A74), on my way back from Scotland.
The journey is never over until the arrival.
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

For those who need a break off the M11 at Harlow but don't fancy a McDonalds, there's the Harlow Garden Centre.
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.7414484 ... a=!3m1!1e3