A74(M): Why Keep The Name?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SBRoxMan

A74(M): Why Keep The Name?

Post by SBRoxMan »

Firstly, I'm aware that the reason why the A74(M) number exists in the first place, as it was meant to be a temporary number that would become the M6 once it was completed.

But that never happened, and it doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon. So why do Transport Scotland still keep the temporary number? I mean, so many signs that refer to the road look awful, especially those with the number patched on. And I know it's technically not a serious issue, but the number change still looks silly and confusing to anyone driving the road.

Are there still hopes it will one day become part of the M6? I can't think of any other reason why this temporary number would be used permanently :shock:
rhyds

Re: A74(M): Why Keep The Name?

Post by rhyds »

Two reasons

1) Its hard to justify the expense of replacing 100s of signs as part of the transport budget

2) Outside of our cadre of road geeks, nobody cares
Built for comfort, not speed.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

rhyds wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 09:48 Two reasons

1) Its hard to justify the expense of replacing 100s of signs as part of the transport budget

2) Outside of our cadre of road geeks, nobody cares
The scary thing is several of the signs that had M6 plated over pending the change are nearly life expired, so there's actually now a brilliant time to do it looming - but they won't because it's all politics. The very least they can do is abolish the A74(M) and make it all M74 though.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Obviously there's a big argument to be had about whether the whole lot should be M6, but I'd have thought changing it from A74(M) to M74 would be completely uncontroversial. Most people who aren't road geeks probably don't even realise it's not M74 all the way to the border anyway.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
thomas417

Post by thomas417 »

While I'd much prefer M6 all the way to Glasgow I understand politically that's a non starter at the moment.

Getting rid of the A74(M) would make a lot of sense however when signs become life expired. M6 in England and M74 in Scotland is something I could live with.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

When they're at it, they can fix this erroneous A77(M) sign as well: https://goo.gl/maps/B6rmp3iEZBHgL61c8
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
SBRoxMan

Post by SBRoxMan »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:12 When they're at it, they can fix this erroneous A77(M) sign as well: https://goo.gl/maps/B6rmp3iEZBHgL61c8
.... How the heck did that get approved?
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

thomas417 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:23 While I'd much prefer M6 all the way to Glasgow I understand politically that's a non starter at the moment.

Getting rid of the A74(M) would make a lot of sense however when signs become life expired. M6 in England and M74 in Scotland is something I could live with.
Agreed with making it the M74 in Scotland, as it just makes sense.
If a future crossing to Northern Ireland is built from Portpatrick, a road upgrade might be in order, of which the M6 could then be split into the M74 (Glasgow) and M75 (NI Crossing) at Gretna
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

The M6 starts at South Woodford :lol:
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
jackal

Post by jackal »

People already call it the M74. Really no reason not to change it.
Micro The Maniac

Post by Micro The Maniac »

JammyDodge wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 15:10 If a future crossing to Northern Ireland is built from Portpatrick, a road upgrade might be in order, of which the M6 could then be split into the M74 (Glasgow) and M75 (NI Crossing) at Gretna
M6 - the Felixstowe to Stranraer motorway :lol: :twisted: :roll: :laugh:
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Micro The Maniac wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 16:19
JammyDodge wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 15:10 If a future crossing to Northern Ireland is built from Portpatrick, a road upgrade might be in order, of which the M6 could then be split into the M74 (Glasgow) and M75 (NI Crossing) at Gretna
The quickest route from Felixstowe to Stranraer is A14-A1-A66-M6-‘74-A75, meaning extending the M6 along the A14 would be a total exercise in futility.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

Or with a little bit of tinkering around Beaufort’s Dyke, the M6 London to Belfast motorway :wink:
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Were it me pulling the strings of the A74 upgrades, I question whether I’d ever have complicated the whole matter by having a “temporary” number. Most likely, I’d have designated the new sections of motorway “M6” upon opening, I believe disjointed sections of M4 existed before completion in 1996, and there’s still the likes of I74 across the pond, scattered across Dixie and the Midwest.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

Osthagen wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 20:02
The quickest route from Felixstowe to Stranraer is A14-A1-A66-M6-‘74-A75, meaning extending the M6 along the A14 would be a total exercise in futility.
Yeah, forget Felixstowe!

Highways England have given us, what with their recent works at Catthorpe, Brampton to Swavesey, and Girton, a near-uninterrupted expressway from Glasgow to Catthorpe to East London.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
Barkstar

Post by Barkstar »

We stopped at the Annandale Water services on our way north the other week. As I particularly liked the pasty I had ( but not the price) we decided to call there again on our way home. Not sure of the name I put M74 services into my phone and a few websites didn't mention of Annandale Water because it isn't on the M74 :facepalm: I agree most travellers won't notice but it is just darn right silly that this hasn't been sorted. The authorities have had to find a lots of money for dual-language signage across all the Highlands but can't straighten out a quirk that just make them look a bit amateur.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Barkstar wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 21:52 We stopped at the Annandale Water services on our way north the other week. As I particularly liked the pasty I had ( but not the price) we decided to call there again on our way home. Not sure of the name I put M74 services into my phone and a few websites didn't mention of Annandale Water because it isn't on the M74 :facepalm: I agree most travellers won't notice but it is just darn right silly that this hasn't been sorted. The authorities have had to find a lots of money for dual-language signage across all the Highlands but can't straighten out a quirk that just make them look a bit amateur.
Obviously the logic is that it should all be M74, but on the other hand, you'd have thought the operators of the relevant apps/websites or whatever would apply a bit of common sense and tweak them to avoid omissions like that as well!
Electrophorus Electricus

Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

roadtester wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 Obviously there's a big argument to be had about whether the whole lot should be M6, but I'd have thought changing it from A74(M) to M74 would be completely uncontroversial. Most people who aren't road geeks probably don't even realise it's not M74 all the way to the border anyway.
Actually the A74(M) extends into England! This roadsign is about 500 metres from the border.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

There's also a Driver Location Sign stating A74(M) - DLSes are not used in Scotland.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Vierwielen wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 22:28
roadtester wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 Obviously there's a big argument to be had about whether the whole lot should be M6, but I'd have thought changing it from A74(M) to M74 would be completely uncontroversial. Most people who aren't road geeks probably don't even realise it's not M74 all the way to the border anyway.
Actually the A74(M) extends into England! This roadsign is about 500 metres from the border.
Ha ha! I knew that but the whole subject is so riddled with anomalies and inconsistencies, you can't mention every proviso, quirk, exception or whatever every time!
Electrophorus Electricus