Improved roads later bypassed.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Improved roads later bypassed.

Post by ajuk »

I'm not sure if this has been discuses before. I know there are plenty of sections of A road that were later superseded by motorways that contain online upgrades, or bypasses, in some cases the upgrade may have occurred after the motorway was build because the old A road remains locally significant ie the Marshfield bypass. I'm not talking about roads superseded by motorways here.
I'm talking about A roads that were given online upgrades only to be abandoned as the main road at a later date. So you now have a seemingly insignificant road with a crawler lane.
Examples I can think of at the old A30 through Blackwater, sections of the old A40 in Pembrokeshire, the old A48 out of Chepstow and I seem to remember a crawler lane somewhere near Frome, but can't remember where I was, not sure if it was ex A361.
Last edited by ajuk on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:56, edited 1 time in total.
KeithW

Re: Improved roads later bypassed.

Post by KeithW »

I suppose the most obvious example is much of the A38 and particularly the stretch between Gloucester and Exeter. In the 1960's there lots of local schemes to remove bottlenecks that later become bypassed by the M5 such as this section near Taunton.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.04333 ... 8192?hl=en

Then there is much of the old A1 between Wetherby and Dishforth. In the case of this section of what is now the A168 near Walshford you can still see the remains of the old northbound carriageway.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wet ... 4816?hl=en

In the South East there is the old A13 now A1306 Arterial Road which was bypassed by a new offline upgrade. It was originally pre war bypasses of Rainham and Purfleet
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

The B1230 through Gilberdyke, it used to be the A63 until the M62 was built.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.75551 ... !1e3?hl=en
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Is there a time window, as I assume almost all the F99 and plenty of others were improved in the 20's & 30's and maybe a bit in the 50's before being made redundant when a motorway was built over 30 years later.
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

There's a few stretches of the old A1 in the North-East which have been bypassed multiple times and are now b roads or unclassified.

Interesting former D2 in Durham at Dryburn Park which has now been converted into two parallel S2s, one the 'main' road and the other an access road for houses.

Wide stretch of S2 (formerly S4?) which is now the B6290 in Chester-le-Street

Huge cut-through D2 in Newcastle now carries the B1318 at Barras Bridge, and continues as a wide S4 across the Town Moor.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Surely the A130 in Essex is the winner here?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

The A30 at Bridestowe in Devon bypassed by a single carriageway bypass in the 70's then bypassed by the Oakhampton to Launceston dualling in the early 90's

Then there's the B1256, former A120 Great Dunlow bypass, which was bypassed again in the early 90's
The M25 - The road to nowhere
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

The completion of the M6 between J14 and J16 was not much later than the completion of the dualling of the bypassed stretch of A34.

There have been previous threads on double bypassing.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A bit of double bypassing, both grade separated, on the A1089 London-Tilbury trunk road at Little Thurrock.

A complex history of a road dualled, then bypssed, then bypassed again on the A19 at Wolviston, Teesside, including two removed bridges over a formerly grade separated roundabout.

The A14 (then A45?) dualled then bypassed at Levington near Ipswich.
Last edited by wrinkly on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
Peter350

Post by Peter350 »

The old A3 (now B2070) between Petersfield and Liphook has a couple of dualled stretches that were later bypassed by the modern A3 in the early 90s.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

A12 dualled then bypassed at Copdock.
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

KeithW wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 06:48 I suppose the most obvious example is much of the A38 and particularly the stretch between Gloucester and Exeter. In the 1960's there lots of local schemes to remove bottlenecks that later become bypassed by the M5 such as this section near Taunton.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.04333 ... 8192?hl=en
I said not roads superseded by motorways.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

wrinkly wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 A complex history of a road dualled, then bypssed, then bypassed again on the A19 at Wolviston, Teesside, including two removed bridges over a formerly grade separated roundabout.
With the new A19 now being widened to D3. HE have been making good progress and are ahead of schedule.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

ajuk wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 02:43 I'm not sure if this has been discuses before.
There's a Bypass that's been bypassed thread already, does that cover some of your question?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

A417 Barnwood and Hucclecote bypass, partly bypassed again as A417 Brockworth bypass was added. But the Gloucester ring road was also superseded by an outer version as well.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
DB617

Post by DB617 »

Much of the A48 in the countryside of Wales, but particularly the sections that got dualled - Cowbridge Bypass is notable for its very large, very expensive twin viaducts which were compromised for years due to icy winds that blew down the Thaw valley and froze the bridge deck, resulting in the speed limit being reduced to 50, making the D2 section the slowest between Bonvilston and Bridgend - and of course, the limit being widely ignored. There's also a strange section of dual carriageway southeast of Pyle, which I'm not 100% sure predates the M4 as it does bridge over it, but it certainly has the hallmarks of old-fashioned online dualling, and old lane widths and vertical alignment.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

There are 3 bypassed online S2/1 improvements on the old A30 between Exeter and Lifton.
This is the climb out of Tedburn St Mary up Goldcross Hill, opened in 1974, yet bypassed in May 78. It occasionally gets a rare chance to serve its real purpose again during diversions, as here in August 2019
Attachments
Ted 7.jpg
Ted 8.jpg
Last edited by SteveA30 on Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
Herned

Post by Herned »

On a slight tangent, if the A358 dualling ever happens, the 1980s bypasses of Ashill and Hatch Beauchamp will be dualled online. Are there any other examples of that happening?
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Herned wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 09:57 On a slight tangent, if the A358 dualling ever happens, the 1980s bypasses of Ashill and Hatch Beauchamp will be dualled online. Are there any other examples of that happening?
Online dualling of previous single carriageway bypasses?

Brechin (now A90) and Northop Hall (A55) spring to mind. I imagine there must be a fair number of other examples.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I expect that we have already noted the replacement of the A5 1930's Shrewsbury Bypass by the 1990's current version? Expect the next instalment in the 2050's.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!