Quicker to Ignore Directional Signs

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

danfw194

Quicker to Ignore Directional Signs

Post by danfw194 »

Looking for point to point examples where you would benefit timewise from ignoring a directional sign to a town/city, and taking a different route.

Here is one example; it isn't a great one because there's only a handful of minutes difference, based on current traffic conditions. In the dead of night the A429 would probably be quicker. But alas, as of this morning, Google Maps would suggest you ignore the Cirencester A429 Directional Sign to get there quicker: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/52.25 ... !1e1?hl=en
Personally I'd still go A429 in this example, 25 miles is a lot of mileage to add on.

Any better examples where it would be clearly advantageous to ignore a directional sign and take a different route?
Andyman

Re: Quicker to Ignore Directional Signs

Post by Andyman »

When travelling from Manchester to Sheffield city centre, the signs at the end of the M67 will direct you onto the A628 (Woodhead Pass), A616, M1 to J33 and then A630/A57, a distance of 52 miles. Using the A57 Snake Pass is only 39 miles and much more direct, but you only pick up signs for Sheffield/Manchester once you reach Glossop. Obviously the signage is intended to keep HGVs off the Snake Pass.

Also in Sheffield - when travelling out of the city on the A57, where it TOTSOs off Sheffield Parkway the signs will direct you to continue following the A57 to Worksop. It's generally quicker to remain on the Sheffield Parkway, join the M1 south until J31 and then rejoin the A57 there.
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

I've a good example of this which I saw in Weymouth a couple of months ago. I was coming into the town on the B3155 from the east and i wanted to go to Portland. This sign pointed to the right and directed me along the B3159:

https://goo.gl/maps/sYnsnfZS2EiyLW6c7

I followed the signed route and I ended up going northwards all the way to the junction with the A354 in Radipole before turning left and heading south on the opposite side of the lake along Weymouth Way to its junction with the, erm, B3155.

However if I'd ignored the sign and continued straight on along the Esplanade and right along King Street, i.e. continuing to follow the B3155, I would have met the A354 after going just one mile instead of the 3-mile detour as directed by the signage. :roll:
Gareth Thomas

Post by Gareth Thomas »

Signs at Junction 12 of the M20 say to use the A20 for Sellindge. However it is quicker to head onto the M20 and come off at Junction 11 to rejoin the A20 there and head into Sellindge.

On a more wider locale, the signed way from Junction 29 of the M4 to Cardiff Bay is to stay on the M4, come off at Junction 33 and use the A4232. However, as the new bit of A4232 opened a few years back, it is quicker and easier to use the A48(M)/A48/A4232/Ocean Way to access the Bay, as we did a few days ago.

(Plus, I wanted to drive along the newest stretch which had been just weeks from opening the last time we were in Cardiff. 😁)
My journey with testicular cancer!
https://garethishalfnuts.wordpress.com/

"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads..."
-Dr Emmett Brown
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

If one drives to Farnham from Basingstoke, the sign at J5 on the M3 shows Farnham straight ahead.

Starting from J5 and ignoring the signs, Google Earth give the distance to the bottom of Castle Street in Farnham via the A287 as 14.1 km; following the sign and leaving the M3 at J4, (which is 15.5 km from J5), and travelling via the A325 is a distance of 28.1 km and going via the A331 (Blackater Valley road), the distance is 30.1 km.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

Approaching Brecon on the A470 northwards, this sign directs you to turn right to Brecon along the A40 and then the B4601.
https://goo.gl/maps/pabKcQXDyqGT3RLCA
However, this takes around the town on the bypass and brings you into the town from the east. If you go straight on at this roundabout and follow the B4601 from the other end to the direction sign, you travel along the former pre-bypass A40 into Brecon. Following the direction signs is 3.9 miles to reach the town centre and avoiding it is only 0.9 miles.
AndyB
SABRE Developer

Post by AndyB »

It’s reasonably common to do that. Locals will ignore the signage because they know the area well, but it will manage passing traffic.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

You are approaching Buxton on A6 from the north, wishing to proceed to Ashbourne. The sign at the roundabout sends you left along A6. At the following roundabout, you are still directed along A6. Eventually, and by this time you're wondering if you've been sent the wrong way, you are directed to turn right along A5270, and at the other end of this road, you finally meet the long-promised A515 to take you directly to Ashbourne.

This seems a long way round, and it is - going through Buxton by turning right at the first roundabout would bring you to A515 via A53 in pretty short time, and even taking the right turn at the second roundabout would also reach A515 quickly, from where it is a fairly straight drive to the junction with A5270. It's obviously to keep Stockport and Manchester to Ashbourne traffic out of Buxton town centre, and in fact the signage in the reverse direction sends you on this route too. But I suspect that it's slower as well as longer, since the diversion adds on so many miles.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Jhammond

Post by Jhammond »

M1 j37, going into Barnsley. At first traffic lights, it tells you to go left to the football stadium. It is definitely not that way!!
jervi

Post by jervi »

I kinda started a topic on this a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40727

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.98834 ... 312!8i6656
The route is heading to Lewes from Bolney. Signs suggest you should follow the A272 and then A275 (both single carriageways, and a significant amount is not NSL). However it is much quicker to use the A23 & A27 (Both dual carriageways and trunk).
Although Lewes has been phased out on newer signs along the A272, using Uckfield as the destination instead, since the 1990s the A27 Brighton and Hove bypass along with A23 dualing/widening/realignment has taken place, previous to this it likely was quicker to use the A272 & A275. Although I'd imagine this sign is newer than the completion of those improvements.
Bfivethousand

Post by Bfivethousand »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 14:57 You are approaching Buxton on A6 from the north, wishing to proceed to Ashbourne. The sign at the roundabout sends you left along A6. At the following roundabout, you are still directed along A6. Eventually, and by this time you're wondering if you've been sent the wrong way, you are directed to turn right along A5270, and at the other end of this road, you finally meet the long-promised A515 to take you directly to Ashbourne.

This seems a long way round, and it is - going through Buxton by turning right at the first roundabout would bring you to A515 via A53 in pretty short time, and even taking the right turn at the second roundabout would also reach A515 quickly, from where it is a fairly straight drive to the junction with A5270. It's obviously to keep Stockport and Manchester to Ashbourne traffic out of Buxton town centre, and in fact the signage in the reverse direction sends you on this route too. But I suspect that it's slower as well as longer, since the diversion adds on so many miles.
This one has always perplexed me, I had originally wondered if perhaps the myriad quarry lorries were struggling up the 1:10 alongside the Pavilion Gardens and that there was some political pressure exerted to get it dealt with, thus DCC shooing all traffic on to the A6. It's still a perfectly acceptable route for lighter vehicles though. But it's nothing like as severe as the hideous tumbling descent into Ashbourne's market place!

The alternative route is far from ideal though, the A5270 / A515 junction is of reasonable quality but the A6 junction by Blackwell is decidedly bog-standard!

I'd suggest both route options should be offered to drivers at each end including appropriate "avoiding town centre / avoiding steep hill / alternative route for HGVs" sub-text via the alternative route to add some context to the extra 4 or 5 miles travelled!

PS - of course, any Sabristi entering Buxton from the North would be doing so via the A5004. No issues finding the A515 from there! 8-) :wink:
16 Sodium atoms walk into a bar
followed immediately by Batman
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Coming into Luton from Hitchin, you are directed to stay on the A505 towards the airport and the Vauxhall van factory, rather than the more direct route of Hitchin Road, the former A505. Presumably because the latter is quite hilly and is lined with houses.
dseagull

Post by dseagull »

jervi wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 22:13 I kinda started a topic on this a while back:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=40727

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.98834 ... 312!8i6656
The route is heading to Lewes from Bolney. Signs suggest you should follow the A272 and then A275 (both single carriageways, and a significant amount is not NSL). However it is much quicker to use the A23 & A27 (Both dual carriageways and trunk).
Although Lewes has been phased out on newer signs along the A272, using Uckfield as the destination instead, since the 1990s the A27 Brighton and Hove bypass along with A23 dualing/widening/realignment has taken place, previous to this it likely was quicker to use the A272 & A275. Although I'd imagine this sign is newer than the completion of those improvements.
I was there on Saturday, heading from Billingshurst back to Hailsham (3-0 and one sent off, ergh).

Clocked this sign and thought it looked a bit odd, as I had come from that direction on the outbound journey, so ignored the suggestion - If you take that signposted left, you do indeed get to the A23, but in the London bound direction!

A little further down the road from your Street View image is the actual junction - with only London, Crawley and Gatwick signed to the left. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.98786 ... 2!1b1!2i41

I carried straight on, and, if you spin the street view around, you will see that Lewes is now actually signed as straight on!

Regardless, both A23 and A27 behaved nicely, and the Common Lane cutoff at Selmeston/Berwick is my preferred route home when coming from the Lewes direction anyway, let alone during the roadworks, so did it in just over an hour.
danfw194

Post by danfw194 »

Jhammond wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 20:49 M1 j37, going into Barnsley. At first traffic lights, it tells you to go left to the football stadium. It is definitely not that way!!
Just seen that on street view, that's weird. I'm guessing the sign is there for a reason, maybe they have a community building that way or something...?, but you're right, that could easily confuse a lot of people.
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 14:57 You are approaching Buxton on A6 from the north, wishing to proceed to Ashbourne. The sign at the roundabout sends you left along A6. At the following roundabout, you are still directed along A6. Eventually, and by this time you're wondering if you've been sent the wrong way, you are directed to turn right along A5270, and at the other end of this road, you finally meet the long-promised A515 to take you directly to Ashbourne.

Another five in that area is if you want to use the A6 from Buxton to Cromford or anywhere South of there (believe Derby is signposted) then it's quicker to go via the A515 / A5012 since you miss the bottlenecks of Bakewell and Matlock Bath. As long as you go the right way to the A515, personally I'd turn right at the Morrisons rather than going through the town centre or rat run up Dukes Drive either.

For Derby itself though it's quicker going down the A515 / A52 rather than the A6

From A53 it takes you to the A515 via Harpur Hill which misses out Buxton and is quicker but it doesn't in the return direction.

In Ashbourne for Buxton on the A52 North it takes you up to the A515 for Buxton rather than cutting the corner off along Derby Road or using Mayfield Road, it does take to Wirksworth that way though which is a bit strange.

Finally for the A6 from Bakewell towards the A53/A54/A515/A537 it's quicker to use the B5059 and miss the town centre off altogether.
Last edited by jabbaboy on Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:11, edited 3 times in total.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

If the Dartford Bridge is closed for any reason, National Highways Emergency Diversion Route black circle signage directs traffic to make a complete anticlockwise circuit of the M25 to get to Kent, ignoring the Blackwall Tunnel a few miles away. Nasty TfL road, Not Invented Here.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.4908336 ... 384!8i8192

(Trigger board on the left).
owen b

Post by owen b »

trickstat wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 23:12 Coming into Luton from Hitchin, you are directed to stay on the A505 towards the airport and the Vauxhall van factory, rather than the more direct route of Hitchin Road, the former A505. Presumably because the latter is quite hilly and is lined with houses.
I've been in Luton since 1990 and it's been like that at least since then. I suspect it goes back to when the A505 Vauxhall Way was created in its current form, I think sometime around 1980. The low, narrow railway under bridge at the bottom of Hitchin Road probably has a lot to do with it : https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.88198 ... 384!8i8192

Similarly, before the Luton inner ring road was completed a few years ago, approaching Luton town centre on the A6 from the north, Hitchin was signposted all the way round the ring road, ie. about 80% of a circle. Any local would rat run along Guildford Street or through High Town. The completion of the inner ring means this movement is now direct.
Owen
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

I'm not thinking about back-roads or cut-throughs that would be unsuitable for volume traffic here, but roads that would be eminently suitable for signing – a couple that spring to mind are:
1️⃣ https://goo.gl/maps/Zv4S6mRi8QC2XtYv5 Drift Bridge, the obvious route to Epsom is to turn left along A2022, but the signed route is straight on, which is likely to be 3–5 minutes longer.
2️⃣ https://goo.gl/maps/QERytWK1xM1WDjuk6 Godstone Interchange, the obvious route to Redhill is to take the B2235 into Godstone, but the signed route is half-way round the by-pass and then into Godstone, which will double the 90-second journey.
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Stevie D wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 20:26 1️⃣ https://goo.gl/maps/Zv4S6mRi8QC2XtYv5 Drift Bridge, the obvious route to Epsom is to turn left along A2022, but the signed route is straight on, which is likely to be 3–5 minutes longer.
I'm fairly sure Epsom was signed this way in the past, although I think it's been forty years since I've been that way. (I grew up on the A2022 further east in Selsdon, and was always a bit disappointed we used the rest of the road regularly, but never had a reason to go to Epsom to complete it.)
Last edited by crb11 on Fri Sep 10, 2021 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
[real name Colin]
iantherev

Post by iantherev »

Octaviadriver wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 22:56 Approaching Brecon on the A470 northwards, this sign directs you to turn right to Brecon along the A40 and then the B4601.
https://goo.gl/maps/pabKcQXDyqGT3RLCA
However, this takes around the town on the bypass and brings you into the town from the east. If you go straight on at this roundabout and follow the B4601 from the other end to the direction sign, you travel along the former pre-bypass A40 into Brecon. Following the direction signs is 3.9 miles to reach the town centre and avoiding it is only 0.9 miles.
Queuing time to get over the Llanfaes Bridge can be highly variable though - sometimes in the middle of a busy day this summer 10-15 minutes.