Ordinary streets once part of main roads.

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ajuk

Re: Ordinary streets once part of main roads.

Post by ajuk »

multiraider2 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 23:29 Then this might be what you are after.

Former main road. Check
Not a pedestrianised high street. Check.
New residential development grown up all around the former main road. Check.

I give you Bridport Road, Poundbury. Ex-A35 in the countryside west of Dorchester. It's not "cut off" but I don't know if that was an essential. It's certainly not looking like a very important ex main road and you would have to divert around the building in front of you in this shot.
Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that as I've been there, the only issue is that it's still a through road and kind of a main one for the traffic in Poundbury.

Funny story I took my work van around there because I was driving from Sherbourne to Bridport, turns out we don't cover that area. :laugh:
SussexMan

Post by SussexMan »

ajuk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 22:06 Look at the examples I gave.
Maybe you could actually provide some GSV links?
ROAD ROVER

Post by ROAD ROVER »

WHBM wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 13:10 Extraordinary that until 1930 this bridge in Wansford was the A1 :

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5792837 ... 384!8i8192

Main road traffic, local horse-drawn agricultural wagons, pedestrians between the two halves of the village.
We stayed at The Haycock next to the old bridge a couple of years back, a very nice old pile. Earlier this year we stayed at The Sibson lnn close to the 'new' bridges & that's a pleasant place too.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

ajuk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 23:48
Yeah, I can't believe I didn't think of that as I've been there, the only issue is that it's still a through road and kind of a main one for the traffic in Poundbury.
You are strict! :wink:
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

multiraider2 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 08:24
ajuk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 23:48
You are strict! :wink:
It's use as a through route has been discouraged since Middle Farm Way opened and further made difficult since the coffee shop was placed in the middle so making traffic slow to nearly a stop to be able to go around and proceed - I would say it is certainly not a main route and so counts.
PhilC

Post by PhilC »

This might be what you're looking for, Great Colmore Street in Birmingham. It was originally part of the A4167 which ran around the south of the city centre form Five Ways to (roughly) the Bull Ring. In the 1960s work started on that section of Middle Ring Road, leaving Great Colmore Street bypassed. Typical late 1960s housing development followed.

https://goo.gl/maps/iVoN4A4ZdzDByE8G9
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.47074 ... .43z?hl=en
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

This used to be the A6. Just about the whole of the old A6 through Wixams is like this.
Let it snow.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

High Street North, East ham. Until about 1990 part of the North Circular Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5351422 ... 384!8i8192
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

I think this is what your looking for then, this (I believe) is part of the old A1 - https://goo.gl/maps/fSHNTRY1iH7XPkqk7

Can see it here - https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 16&layer=4

and also this used to be part of the A1058 before it got chopped off at both ends - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.9808776 ... 384!8i8192

Can see that here - https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps/ind ... 16&layer=4
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Mart Street in Hawick looks fairly unassuming, but the A7 once ran this course.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

ajuk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 23:00 Yes, I said it was rare, but I've come across 3.
This is probably rather closer to what you are after. In South Shields, it seems that the now-pedestrianised dead-end King Street was once the northernmost stretch of A19.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

Various streets in Berwick-upon-Tweed comprise the 1922 course of the A1. Including Bridge Street, Hide Hill, Union Brae and indeed the single-file Old Bridge across the Tweed.
- Richard Nixon
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.52374 ... 6?hl=en-GB

Here's another one which used to be the A1, but then Doncaster was bypassed around 1930 I believe.

Vince
solocle

Post by solocle »

I mean, the A8 in Glasgow. No longer primary since the coming of the M8, a bit of a stroad.
80295C44-DC09-4E0C-9D3C-AF242B109CDC.jpeg
I wouldn't call it an "ordinary street", but it definitely felt semi-retired.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I think there are split-carriageway sections on the old A74 where one carriageway, usually the northbound, has been reclassified as B7076, while the opposite carriageway has, if not removed following construction of the motorway, been unclassified and is now used exclusively for purposes such as farm lanes and residential streets.
- Richard Nixon
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

Alderpoint wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 09:59 This used to be the A6. Just about the whole of the old A6 through Wixams is like this.
That's a good example the fact that is retains the name Bedford Road is the only thing that would give it away to most locals.
SussexMan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 06:28
ajuk wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 22:06 Look at the examples I gave.
Maybe you could actually provide some GSV links?

This is Willow Close in Weston, not obvious to most it was the A370, a local person even denied it ever was when I asked, which made me look at a map.
This is Stokesey Drive, really not obvious at all that it was the A420.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Does this road in St Neots count? It's still called the Great North Road by the look of it
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 23:33 Does this road in St Neots count? It's still called the Great North Road by the look of it
Might be the best one yet.
- Richard Nixon
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

skiddaw05 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 23:33 Does this road in St Neots count? It's still called the Great North Road by the look of it
Yes, that's a good example of the sort of thing I'm getting at. No bonus points because it's ends on the A1 and the name is a giveaway.
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

ajuk wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 00:56
Yes, that's a good example of the sort of thing I'm getting at. No bonus points because it's ends on the A1 and the name is a giveaway.
It doesn't actually end on the A1 but comes to a dead end here. Looking at the overhead view it is the northernmost part of the A1 section that was bypassed in the 1960s (?).