London/ Central London

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

London/ Central London

Post by Glenn A »

I was watching an excellent episode of Minder from 1980 this week which was quite Sabrist, as it featured a woman travelling from Rotherham to London on a National Express ( Yorkshire Traction) coach and had some excellent clips of the M1 coming into London, Staples Corner and Victoria Coach Station. One of the road signs on the M1 read London 17 miles, but looking up the episode on a fan site, a more modern sign reads Central London 17 miles. Obviously this sign is more obvious than the more ambiguous one with London, but I wonder when the signs into the capital had Central added. ( It has been 31 years since I've been in and out of London by road and then the signs close to the city still read London).
Osthagen

Re: London/ Central London

Post by Osthagen »

I would have guessed 1994, because there was a significant overhaul of primary destinations and signage that year. But you said 31 years. I think there was a drive to replace roadsigns c. 1983-1985, a modest portion on the network still date from this time.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Osthagen wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 I would have guessed 1994, because there was a significant overhaul of primary destinations and signage that year. But you said 31 years. I think there was a drive to replace roadsigns c. 1983-1985, a modest portion on the network still date from this time.
London was ambiguous, as some motorists might have believed they were 17 miles from the county boundary, rather than central London. Also the original sign on the M1 in the Minder episode was looking a bit faded by 1980.
The episode in question is called From Beer To Eternity and is one of the best for transport fans.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 13:52
Osthagen wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 I would have guessed 1994, because there was a significant overhaul of primary destinations and signage that year. But you said 31 years. I think there was a drive to replace roadsigns c. 1983-1985, a modest portion on the network still date from this time.
London was ambiguous, as some motorists might have believed they were 17 miles from the county boundary, rather than central London. Also the original sign on the M1 in the Minder episode was looking a bit faded by 1980.
The episode in question is called From Beer To Eternity and is one of the best for transport fans.
I found the episode in the end and have marked it in Britbox to watch tonight - its actually called "The Beer Hunter". Looking forward to it so thanks for the heads up. Nothing like a heady mix of Minder AND transport/SABRE stuff for a Saturday night :D .

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Brenley Corner wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 16:16
I found the episode in the end and have marked it in Britbox to watch tonight - its actually called "The Beer Hunter". Looking forward to it so thanks for the heads up. Nothing like a heady mix of Minder AND transport/SABRE stuff for a Saturday night :D .

Tony
Sorry about the mix up with the titles, but is one of the best episodes. Also there is mention of the South Circular and some of the episode is filmed in Wandsworth.
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:15

Tony
Sorry about the mix up with the titles, but is one of the best episodes. Also there is mention of the South Circular and some of the episode is filmed in Wandsworth.
Indeed; I'm a fan of Minder and there are many good episodes, but I tend to gravitate to the later series so this earlier one will be good to see. I found some 'then and now' location details and pictures on this page - https://www.minder.org/locations/S02E06 ... Hunter.htm - about half to two-thirds down the page there is the "London 17" sign and its present day equivalent.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Brenley Corner wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:31
Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 17:15

Tony
Indeed; I'm a fan of Minder and there are many good episodes, but I tend to gravitate to the later series so this earlier one will be good to see. I found some 'then and now' location details and pictures on this page - https://www.minder.org/locations/S02E06 ... Hunter.htm - about half to two-thirds down the page there is the "London 17" sign and its present day equivalent.

Tony
I enjoy all the series, but the early ones are best for spotting old street furniture and cars that haven't been seen this side of 1999.