Stay Back - Stay Safe

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Stay Back - Stay Safe

Post by WHBM »

Latest anodyne message for any unused VMS is :

STAY BACK
STAY SAFE

Now it's not quite apparent whether this refers to Covid precautions in crowds, or something to do with driving. Looking at the National Highways site it's apparently the latter. But if even I have to look it up to find out what on earth it refers to, what chance Joe Public ?
A320Driver

Re: Stay Back - Stay Safe

Post by A320Driver »

The first thing that came into my head was that it’s an instruction to drivers to maintain distance. Maybe NH are trying to be clever and combine a road safety and NHS message. However, surely a more concise version would be:

KEEP YOUR
DISTANCE

?
Formerly ‘guvvaA303’
JoshBostock01

Post by JoshBostock01 »

I reckon that it has something to do with the hard shoulder and people staying as far away from the live lanes as possible. However if we can't work it out, then what chance does a random member of the public have?
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Clearly the Buffoon Department from Highways England have effortlessly made the transition to National Highways.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Details are extremely easy to find for anyone that can type into a search engine.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/road-safe ... stay-back/
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Are drivers expected to "type into a search engine" as they are rolling along past the sign ?
The Deuce

Post by The Deuce »

This campaign is on commercial radio ad breaks constantly which a vast majority of drivers will hear whilst driving, unless tuned to BBC stations of course.
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

I guess 'only a fool breaks the two-second rule' got a bit archaic.

TBH I quite like the webpage though.
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

Patrick Harper wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 I guess 'only a fool breaks the two-second rule' got a bit archaic.

Especially the space invader!

Can one infer the demographic at whom this is aimed from this?
Big Nick

Post by Big Nick »

skiddaw05 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07
Patrick Harper wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:28 I guess 'only a fool breaks the two-second rule' got a bit archaic.

Especially the space invader!

Can one infer the demographic at whom this is aimed from this?
The 40-50yo age range who are a long time past their driving test and have got into bad driving habits?
Which could be me.... :facepalm:
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

WHBM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:04 Are drivers expected to "type into a search engine" as they are rolling along past the sign ?
I’ve heard radio ads and seen poster/billboard ads for this campaign on and off for the last year.

A bit of Googling reveals that the campaign and the “stay safe, stay back” message has actually been around since 2018.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I'd be amazed if Square Enix (who own Taito, which made the original Space Invaders), the fellow bastions of evil that they are, have let them use the Space Invaders logo and alien symbols. What's a bit of copyright infringement among friends?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

skiddaw05 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:07 Can one infer the demographic at whom this is aimed from this?
As ever, it's inferred that the aggressor is an (inevitably male) car driver behind.

Posts here and elsewhere are, however, that a principal tailgating concern comes from HGVs.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I find it's also common to be tailgated by German power cars trying to bully you out of the way so they can overtake.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 14:28 I find it's also common to be tailgated by German power cars trying to bully you out of the way so they can overtake.
Usually this - to be able to have a HGV tailgate you on a motorway you've got to be driving at no more than 56 mph, which raises the question of are you aware of your surroundings? The only time this could be an issue is in 50 limits where HGV drivers will tend to ride the limiter.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Bomag

Post by Bomag »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 15:13
Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 14:28 I find it's also common to be tailgated by German power cars trying to bully you out of the way so they can overtake.
Usually this - to be able to have a HGV tailgate you on a motorway you've got to be driving at no more than 56 mph, which raises the question of are you aware of your surroundings? The only time this could be an issue is in 50 limits where HGV drivers will tend to ride the limiter.
I can remember the time before limiters where empty HGVs used to chase you up the M62 Hills
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 13:26
WHBM wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:04 Are drivers expected to "type into a search engine" as they are rolling along past the sign ?
I’ve heard radio ads and seen poster/billboard ads for this campaign on and off for the last year.

A bit of Googling reveals that the campaign and the “stay safe, stay back” message has actually been around since 2018.
Really? I cannot recall seeing this anywhere. Has the Birmingham area been excluded?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Chris5156 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 13:26 I’ve heard radio ads and seen poster/billboard ads for this campaign on and off for the last year.

Can't say I have seen it.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:25

Really? I cannot recall seeing this anywhere. Has the Birmingham area been excluded?
I'd be surprised! This is a TV advert that aired in 2018 too.
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 17:25

BBC Midlands article contemporary with the 2018 campaign https://youtu.be/gTzIP2zO55c