Junctions that are Incomplete / that left space for a flyover

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Junctions that are Incomplete / that left space for a flyover

Post by Steven »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 13:21
xfield wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:07 Bredbury - the junction is sized to allow the A6M to cross the roundabout and then merge into the North facing M60 - explaining why the infamous right hand merge is done here when joining the motorway - as the merge was intended to run into the A6M, then merge with the M60.
Yes it's a bit of a mess, I've got a 1990s A-Z which shows what it should look like.
No need to go hunting, it's on SABRE Maps along with many others.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Skipsy

Post by Skipsy »

I believe this junction on Morden road was supposed to have a flyover
Sunil_of_Yoxley

Post by Sunil_of_Yoxley »

A13/A406 Beckton is surely missing a flyover that would have gone on towards the "Ringway 2" crossing of the Thames.
My London railway station photos on Wikimedia Commons
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Steven wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 15:29
RichardA626 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 13:21
xfield wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:07 Bredbury - the junction is sized to allow the A6M to cross the roundabout and then merge into the North facing M60 - explaining why the infamous right hand merge is done here when joining the motorway - as the merge was intended to run into the A6M, then merge with the M60.
Yes it's a bit of a mess, I've got a 1990s A-Z which shows what it should look like.
No need to go hunting, it's on SABRE Maps along with many others.
Thanks I thought it might be online.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Brenley Corner

Post by Brenley Corner »

Skipsy wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 16:50 I believe this junction on Morden road was supposed to have a flyover
Yes that would have been Phase 2 of Merantun Way which would have seen an S2 flyover and a continuation of the new S2 along the line of the former railway and rejoining the A238 near the B285 junction just on the far side of the A238 level crossing. There may well then have been online A238 improvements all the way along to Martin Way where the 1930s dual carriageway opens out - but I cannot fully recall.
There was so much opposition to this second phase of Merantun Way that Conservative-held London Borough of Merton who were proposing the scheme lost the next local election as the voters of Merton Park (through where the route would have passed) voted in Independent candidates, the council changed colour (never to be 'blue' again to this day), and the scheme was abandoned.

Tony
Brenley Corner: congesting traffic since 1963; discussing roads since 2002
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Teeshan Interchange (M2 j12) is my local motorway junction and its flyover would have started here.

There were several unfinished motorway junctions in Northern Ireland, I think this is the only one left that is still incomplete. Although it still functions very well even in its half-built form and there's never any congestion apart from an occasional queue on the southbound slip at the northern end of the surface-level 'gyratory'.

This layout wouldn't be allowed today as traffic from that slip has to join 70mph traffic from the right-hand side. And it was originally signed as Give Way :shock:, now with yellow-backed STOP signs.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

A42_Sparks wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 20:52 Teeshan Interchange (M2 j12) is my local motorway junction and its flyover would have started here.
I have the full planned layout for that junction.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A42_Sparks

Post by A42_Sparks »

Truvelo wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 20:58
A42_Sparks wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 20:52 Teeshan Interchange (M2 j12) is my local motorway junction and its flyover would have started here.
I have the full planned layout for that junction.
Hi Truvelo, yes you sent it to me some years ago. Thanks!

It was slightly inaccurate as the M2 southbound to A26 northbound slip was deleted in the final plan. Traffic making that movement would have turned round at the southern end of the 'gyratory'. A slip was even built to do that but is rarely used today.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

I've been going through Rotherham a bit over the last few days, and Century Way/New Wortley Road strikes me as waiting for a flyover.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

jgharston wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 21:27 I've been going through Rotherham a bit over the last few days, and Century Way/New Wortley Road strikes me as waiting for a flyover.
The inner ring road was meant to the grade separated. There was a flyover near Tesco which was removed a few years ago. No chance of the other junctions ever receiving theirs now :@
Big and complex.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

jgharston wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 21:27 I've been going through Rotherham a bit over the last few days, and Century Way/New Wortley Road strikes me as waiting for a flyover.
The number of times that junction has been tinkered with (most recently blocking traffic from College Road entering the roundabout and forcing it to turn left) it might have been cheaper to build it.
SBRoxMan

Post by SBRoxMan »

Look at Skelmersdale, wouldn't surprise me if it were the town with the most unfinished junctions - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.55194 ... .25z?hl=en
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

SBRoxMan wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:06 Look at Skelmersdale, wouldn't surprise me if it were the town with the most unfinished junctions - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.55194 ... .25z?hl=en
Although most of Skem's junctions appear to be missing a simple flyover, this wasn't always the case. Some junctions were meant to be grander than simply a roundabout with a flyover on top. Bone Island was going to be freeflowing with no movements to the south.
Attachments
skem.jpg
Big and complex.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Now also consider stubs or parts of the road were built for the intension for the road to be built in the future.

take this example https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.91914 ... authuser=0 where the lay by is actually part of a stub built for the Unbuilt Ilkley bypass.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:56
The number of times that junction has been tinkered with (most recently blocking traffic from College Road entering the roundabout and forcing it to turn left) it might have been cheaper to build it.
Yes, I've been getting the bus from Doncaster to Sheffield and was bewildered at the route it took out of the bus station back onto the road to Sheffield. WTH doesn't it just reverse the route and go back to the roundabout instead of making several 90-degree turns through back streets? I kept an eye out as we went past and yes, the exit to the roundabout is now a forced left-turn lane, blocking exiting to the roundabout.
the cheesecake man

jgharston wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:35 Yes, I've been getting the bus from Doncaster to Sheffield and was bewildered at the route it took out of the bus station back onto the road to Sheffield. WTH doesn't it just reverse the route and go back to the roundabout instead of making several 90-degree turns through back streets? I kept an eye out as we went past and yes, the exit to the roundabout is now a forced left-turn lane, blocking exiting to the roundabout.
It doesn't need to do that. It could turn right immediately after the bridge to join Centenary Way and be able to access the roundabout. But if it did it would miss the bus stop outside the railway station. Given the short walk that would probably be quicker for everyone but I can see it wouldn't look good.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

the cheesecake man wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 20:27 It doesn't need to do that. It could turn right immediately after the bridge to join Centenary Way and be able to access the roundabout. But if it did it would miss the bus stop outside the railway station. Given the short walk that would probably be quicker for everyone but I can see it wouldn't look good.
That's exactly what is *does* do: route
Exits the bus station, screeching right turn onto the bridge, screeching right turn onto Greasborough Road, steep near-stalling left turn onto Centenary Way.

What I'd have done is put a 'bus only' exit from College Road onto the College Road roundabout.
the cheesecake man

jgharston wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:41 What I'd have done is put a 'bus only' exit from College Road onto the College Road roundabout.
:rant: Me too but that's far too sensible thinking for a South Yorkshire council.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

IAN

Post by IAN »

OliverH wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 21:15 ow about this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.53105 ... a=!3m1!1e3
You can see the undeveloped land to the east leaving space just wide enough for a D2 and also on GSV. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.53302 ... 384!8i8192 It's not clear where the road would have continued to however.
AKA M5 Driver