Junctions that are Incomplete / that left space for a flyover

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

BOH

Re: Junctions that are Incomplete / that left space for a flyover

Post by BOH »

There are also a couple IIRC on the A31 between Farnham and Winchester where the approach to an at-grade roundabout are very flared to allow wither a flyover or underpass. One very obvious one on the Alton bypass.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

They are currently putting a flyover in here. They've done it all without requiring any additional land take so I guess it qualifies for this thread.
Let it snow.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

BOH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 07:48 There are also a couple IIRC on the A31 between Farnham and Winchester where the approach to an at-grade roundabout are very flared to allow wither a flyover or underpass. One very obvious one on the Alton bypass.
Yes, the first post in the thread mentions those!
LoopyUpholland
Banned

Post by LoopyUpholland »

Not a million miles from me, the 'blank' bridge and stub from the M53, where it used to turn into the M531. Bridge is now demolished of course.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

Last edited by OliverH on Wed Sep 29, 2021 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Sheesh! Three pages and noone's mentioned Denton Island (M67/M60) yet. :o

And my favourite overdone junction A617 Rainworth bypass
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 13:33 Sheesh! Three pages and noone's mentioned Denton Island (M67/M60) yet. :o

The original plans for Denton Island are in the wiki.

Rainworth has mystified me ever since it was built. I have found absolutely nothing online or at archives/libraries showing what was intended. Clearly the southern bypass of Mansfield was meant to be something better but the Rainworth Bypass was a local authority scheme built in an era where GSJ's were long consigned to history.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 21:44
the cheesecake man wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 13:33 Sheesh! Three pages and noone's mentioned Denton Island (M67/M60) yet. :o

Rainworth has mystified me ever since it was built. I have found absolutely nothing online or at archives/libraries showing what was intended. Clearly the southern bypass of Mansfield was meant to be something better but the Rainworth Bypass was a local authority scheme built in an era where GSJ's were long consigned to history.
The thing which baffles me more about Rainworth is the east end of the bypass. It just dies out short of the actual end where it meets the B6020, I guess logically the dual could've met the A614, but then it's offloading onto 3 S2s, and improving the road towards Newark is probably needed but not an easy job. It seems a bit odd it was built dualled to begin with, but then maybe bigger was planned for the MARR and they never thought it effective to redraw the plans.

Of course, the A617 didn't initially leave Rainworth in that direction either, but that's another story. Much better it was diverted off the initial route.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

ForestChav wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 21:57

The thing which baffles me more about Rainworth is the east end of the bypass. It just dies out short of the actual end where it meets the B6020, I guess logically the dual could've met the A614, but then it's offloading onto 3 S2s, and improving the road towards Newark is probably needed but not an easy job. It seems a bit odd it was built dualled to begin with, but then maybe bigger was planned for the MARR and they never thought it effective to redraw the plans.

Of course, the A617 didn't initially leave Rainworth in that direction either, but that's another story. Much better it was diverted off the initial route.
It has all the looks of a rehash of a grandiose 1970's scheme which was heavily watered down by the time it was built. However I can't find any mention of such a route being planned back then.
Big and complex.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Truvelo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 22:04
ForestChav wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 21:57

It has all the looks of a rehash of a grandiose 1970's scheme which was heavily watered down by the time it was built. However I can't find any mention of such a route being planned back then.
It's about 20 years old isn't it? Think it predates the rest of MARR by a few years. It'd be interesting if there was a serious plan to dual the A617 what they'd have done east of the A614.
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.46333 ... authuser=0 = ?
maby it was going to be a half hamburger or banana.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

OliverH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 22:27 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.46333 ... authuser=0 = ?
This is how it would have looked.
Attachments
middleway.jpg
Big and complex.
fras

Post by fras »

Does Jn 25 M60 (Manchester Ring Road) count ?
There is an obvious corridor for a southbound spur of some kind. As one approaches the sharp RH bend round to Stockport. (going clockwise), there is an abandoned section of carriageway pointing south.
Bing Maps OS page shows an obvious corridor left for the future, but will it ever be built ? I assume this would connect to the recently extended A555, the notorious "Road to Nowhere" that now actually goes somewhere !
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

fras wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 23:14 Does Jn 25 M60 (Manchester Ring Road) count ?
There is an obvious corridor for a southbound spur of some kind. As one approaches the sharp RH bend round to Stockport. (going clockwise), there is an abandoned section of carriageway pointing south.
Bing Maps OS page shows an obvious corridor left for the future, but will it ever be built ? I assume this would connect to the recently extended A555, the notorious "Road to Nowhere" that now actually goes somewhere !
Yes, lots of proposals were made for this junction over the years.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... nterchange
Big and complex.

From the SABRE Wiki: Bredbury Interchange :

Bredbury Interchange, formerly known as Brinnington Interchange, is junction 25 of the M60 and was junction 15 of the M63 and junction 12 of the M66. It opened in 1989.

The earliest known proposal for a major road in the area was the Outer Ring Road, later allocated the M68 number, from the 1945 plan for Manchester although details of the junction are not shown. The 1962 SELNEC plan adds the M63 but again no junction layout is known. The line

... Read More
matt-thepie

Post by matt-thepie »

The A92 has two, one north of Kirkcaldy and one at Glenrothes. The B921 south of Glenrothes has a few too.

And lots in the car dependent hellscape they built at Cumbernauld....
zapalniczka

Post by zapalniczka »

one of my personal favourites

https://goo.gl/maps/D8zV9L6CXKexe72Z9
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

OliverH wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 22:27 https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.46333 ... authuser=0 = ?
Haden Circus has redundant surfacing for when Birmingham hosted the Superprix. It was known as the Halfords Hairpin.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
OliverH

Post by OliverH »

zapalniczka wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 13:50 one of my personal favourites

https://goo.gl/maps/D8zV9L6CXKexe72Z9
here is one just nearby : https://www.google.com/maps/@51.5086661 ... a=!3m1!1e3
Worcestershire Wolf

Post by Worcestershire Wolf »

The Worcester Road Island on the A451 Kidderminster Bypass was built ready for the Western section of the Kidderminster Road Ring to slot in. That section was never built, and you can see on the Northwest section of the Island where there is space near what is now Asda for the road to come onto the Island:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Wor ... authuser=0