A9/A82 (Cannich)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

DaStreetsweep

A9/A82 (Cannich)

Post by DaStreetsweep »

Heading to Cannich for a few nights next week over the Oct break. (had actually never previously of heard it but it and surrounding areas were recommended).

We're travelling with a toddler so will likely stop a couple of times on way up the A9 to break up the journey. Can anyone recommend any nice places - ie nice town centre, or walk, place to lunch etc etc....scope can be wide on this one.

Considering A82 for journey home for a bit of variety. Again any recommendations on places to stop off at on route home?

Finally are there any recommendations on where to get some decent pics of the Highland or West Highland mainlines?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dual the A9, dual and bypass the A77, and bypass Crocketford and Springholm on the A75.
M19

Re: A9/A82 (Cannich)

Post by M19 »

Depends where from and how far.

I’ve stayed at the Hilton North Queensferry a couple of times.

It overlooks the Queensferry Crossing, you can walk through the hotel garden onto the northbound footpath for the Fourth Road Bridge and walk / drive into North Queensferry for some stunning views of the Forth Bridge - actually all three of them.

At North Queensferry station you can jump on the train to Edinburgh over the Fourth Bridge.

https://flic.kr/p/MABx8e

The hotel has decent room rates and good on site restaurant.
M19
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

On the A82 the Inveruglas visitor centre on Loch Lomond is one, another is the Green Welly at Crianlarich. Farther north you can park up and use the facilities at the Glen Coe visitor centre.

Farther north you can see both the West Highland Line and the Caledonian Canal at Banavie. At Fort Augustus there are public facilities.

The reason I know this that I am at the other end of the age spectrum when it comes to bladder capacity :)
owen b

Post by owen b »

I've never stopped in Cannich, but have passed through several times on my way to Glen Affric or Glen Cannich. Glen Affric in particular is very beautiful. I've not been in October before but there's a lot of woodland and I imagine the autumn colours must be spectacular.

On the A9 between Perth and Inverness, Pitlochry is my favourite of the small towns / large villages. Just on the town side of the northern end of the bypass there's a lovely spot to take a break by Loch Faskally. Further north, south of Aviemore, there's good parking and lochside walks at the very pretty Loch an Eilein. I've seen ospreys in the area.

On the A82 I'm usually a bit underwhelmed by Loch Ness. For atmospheric views the Commando Memorial above Spean Bridge is hard to beat in good weather although there's not much in the way of facilities. The Clachaig Inn near Glencoe village is more to my taste, appealing to families and hillwalkers alike. There are many parking areas on the A82 in Glencoe and as it heads over Rannoch Moor, but the ones with the most appealing views tend to be very busy at peak times. There's good views of the railway from the A82 about three miles north of Tyndrum as it does a 180 degree semi circle between Beinn Odhar and Beinn Dorain.
Owen
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

Thanks guys, that gives me lots to go on for both routes, which is handy as between the crying, moaning, toileting issues, constantly wanting fed etc etc.....I actually don't know how my toddler puts up with me!

Although it's technically in Cannich, it is infact the Glen Affraic Holiday Park we'll be at and heard good things about nearby Plodda Falls and also Drumnadrochit too.

And thanks for the rail links too folks, all very much appreciated.
Dual the A9, dual and bypass the A77, and bypass Crocketford and Springholm on the A75.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Yes the drive along Glen Affric to the car park here should be especially lovely in the Autumn. There is a toilet which was closed in shot I assume because of Covid restrictions, but hopefully now open.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

There's a car park near Calvine with a walk of less than a mile to the Falls of Bruar.

OK. You may need to carry the toddler for part of this.
Altnabreac

Post by Altnabreac »

I'd recommend a stop in Kingussie.

Ardvonie Car Park off the Gynack Road has decent toilets and a nice wee play park.
https://www.google.com/maps/@57.0807348 ... 384!8i8192

Co-op nearby or various cafes / chip shops etc.
solocle

Post by solocle »

owen b wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 21:45 I've never stopped in Cannich, but have passed through several times on my way to Glen Affric or Glen Cannich. Glen Affric in particular is very beautiful. I've not been in October before but there's a lot of woodland and I imagine the autumn colours must be spectacular.

On the A9 between Perth and Inverness, Pitlochry is my favourite of the small towns / large villages. Just on the town side of the northern end of the bypass there's a lovely spot to take a break by Loch Faskally. Further north, south of Aviemore, there's good parking and lochside walks at the very pretty Loch an Eilein. I've seen ospreys in the area.

On the A82 I'm usually a bit underwhelmed by Loch Ness. For atmospheric views the Commando Memorial above Spean Bridge is hard to beat in good weather although there's not much in the way of facilities. The Clachaig Inn near Glencoe village is more to my taste, appealing to families and hillwalkers alike. There are many parking areas on the A82 in Glencoe and as it heads over Rannoch Moor, but the ones with the most appealing views tend to be very busy at peak times. There's good views of the railway from the A82 about three miles north of Tyndrum as it does a 180 degree semi circle between Beinn Odhar and Beinn Dorain.
The A82 is gorgeous. Actually the B862 is probably the better road for views around Loch Ness, but it's the wrong side.
B91492FA-45D0-4EC1-9A5D-549009DE7D9C.jpeg
South of Loch Ness, and yeah, the commando memorial is good, but the highlight for me is passing the road to Loch Etive. It probably would have been Glen Coe, but that was a complete whiteout when I cycled through.
6852A2FF-CF5E-4604-AF73-EBA0A25CD5AB.jpeg
5EB91CBE-2199-4C60-AB18-57804189499D.jpeg
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

Quick update on the trip now that I'm home.

On route north via A9, the little one slept most of the way so didn't end up making many stops.

Did however (Owen B) stop at Pitlochry - ashamed to say in 42 years had never been but will definitely return within the next couple of years and this time stay for a couple/few nights. Beautiful place.

Drove through Kingussie and Aviemore too which both looked very nice.

Have to say, its been around 15 years since I last drove the A9 but even with the two new sections, I had no real recollection of just how many overtaking opportunities there was. Getting to Glen Affric was a very pleasant, and equally surprising, breeze. Asterisk against this being that the traffic flow was very smooth (nothing like the summer) and I accept that it's crazy the lack of grade separated junctions.......which in turn will improve as the dualling programme continues. (as an aside the A77 is in far more need of dualling).

Glen Affric itself was just stunning - different lifestyle up there and had to learn to reverse in country roads without falling 20 feet into a ditch - character building is the term I'd use! (Oh and if anyone is up there I'd highly recommend Plodda Falls. Urquhart Castle was a great trip too. The Benevean Dam was an unexpected surprise in Glen Affric).

A82 home was interesting. Owen B (again) and Solocle too - Commando memorial was a great pit stop about an hour into journey home. Great views, very poignant, and the little one thoroughly appreciated the fresh air break.

Keith W - stopped at Banavie - couldn't believe that you could literally walk across the West Highland Line - great to see that and the canal up close and personal.

We stopped off at Fort William for a quick half hour, and even visited Claggan Park - embarrassingly as we got there to get a few pics of the football ground, the players were all there as they were just getting on the team bus ahead of their game. (spoiler alert - we weren't a good luck charm!)

From there, Owen B, took your advice and headed to the Clachaig Inn - such a bonny wee spot and the food was great too. Much needed by that time! And got real close to the railway too just north of Tyndrum - not sure I was meant to scale the fence but hey ho.....was great to be so close to the track.

Had been looking forward to the last leg of the journey - especially the challenging Inverarnan to Tarbet section but an earlier car crash south of Ardlui sadly put paid to that. The journey that ensued from Ardlui back to Kirkintilloch via the (quite frankly god awful) A85 was fun to say the very least!!! A Chinese takeaway and a few beers was very much the order of the day upon returning to Kirky.

But, Keith W, an 8 hour journey home (including stops) is not kind on the bladder as you mentioned! I felt like Danny Glover in Lethal Weapon - ie...."I'm too old for this s***!!!").

All in all though a fabulous trip and thanks to all for responding in previous messages - apologies I didn't get to try out all the recommendations.....another time I hope!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glad you enjoyed it, its a stunning part of the world , must make another trip next year. In 2017 I stayed in a cottage in Banavie. that backed onto the Caledonian Canal. This was the view when I walked through the garden gate.
Attachments
Banavie_s.jpg
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

KeithW wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 00:21 Glad you enjoyed it, its a stunning part of the world , must make another trip next year.
It's funny how we as Brits (in a nice way) often laud about how nice another part of Britain is and sometimes forget about what we have closer to home. (although Inverness is about as close/far as many lovely trips to the north of England too).

Apart from France/Spain, almost all of my childhood was spent holidaying throughout basically every county in England. Foreign trips were great but my happiest family holiday memories were without doubt the multiple trips down south. Listening to the rain batter down on caravans in places like Morecambe/Scarborough was so therapeutic!

Lost my dad recently (gut wrenching as he was a Mecca of all family hols) but next Easter/Summer will be returning to nearer your neck of the woods as eyeing up Whitby and/or Scarborough - both old favourites. Will visit Filey again too. I'm sure there are other lovely towns I can visit to along the way.
owen b

Post by owen b »

Really pleased that you had such a good trip and I'm delighted that the recommendations more than lived up to expectations. Given half decent weather there is nowhere to beat the Scottish Highlands.
Owen
DaStreetsweep

Post by DaStreetsweep »

owen b wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 00:39 Really pleased that you had such a good trip and I'm delighted that the recommendations more than lived up to expectations. Given half decent weather there is nowhere to beat the Scottish Highlands.

Oh I don't know, the Lakes and many other places are simply stunning down south. (not south to you of course being from Luton). But thanks so much for your recommendations - all spot on!

I've actually flown into Luton a good few times as have good friends from Chesham. Amersham is another place I've visited nearby as well of course as the nations capital.

Personally I was desperate to return to my home from home (Liverpool) but I would have wanted to see and do so much down there. A much quieter agenda up north made much more sense and was such a great trip for the fam. Next year though is Yorkshire for sure.
owen b

Post by owen b »

DaStreetsweep wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 00:48
owen b wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 00:39 Really pleased that you had such a good trip and I'm delighted that the recommendations more than lived up to expectations. Given half decent weather there is nowhere to beat the Scottish Highlands.

Oh I don't know, the Lakes and many other places are simply stunning down south. (not south to you of course being from Luton). But thanks so much for your recommendations - all spot on!

I've actually flown into Luton a good few times as have good friends from Chesham. Amersham is another place I've visited nearby as well of course as the nations capital.
My first 17 years were in Durham, so I still count myself as a northerner, but 29 of the last 31 years have been in Luton, and I'm fine with that :) , but when I'm heading up to Scotland for my frequent hill walking trips I wish I could start from somewhere north of Preston so that I could give the bad bits of the M1 and M6 a miss. The Scottish Highlands is my favourite place on the planet on long, dry, calm spring or summer days but I think I'd struggle with the long dark winters and the long spells of bad weather in the autumn and winter months.
Owen
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Altnabreac wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:47 I'd recommend a stop in Kingussie.

Ardvonie Car Park off the Gynack Road has decent toilets and a nice wee play park.
https://www.google.com/maps/@57.0807348 ... 384!8i8192

Co-op nearby or various cafes / chip shops etc.
Manageable walk to Ruthven Barracks