The A74(M) fan club

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: The A74(M) fan club

Post by Glenn A »

coneman wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 17:19
wrinkly wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 23:14
Glenn A wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:52 What always interested me was the warning sign about pedestrians crossing near Beattock Services, were people actually suicidal enough to do this?
It was at Coatsgate where there were quarries to the east and a transport caff on the northbound side. I don't know whether anybody really tried to cross there.
Osthagen wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 22:33 I will admit that even though I want rid of it, there is a use for the A74(M) designation in a way. That being that it distinguishes the section of the Glasgow-Carlisle route that is actually quite a pleasant drive.
I'd say it's pleasant for at least one more junction north than that, as far as the end of the D3M.

When going to Coatsgate Quarry for stone/coated materials from the south we were always told to get into lane 2 early, put your beacon on (singular upturned plant pot type on the cab roof) and hope there is nobody else waiting in the central reserve doing the same , squeaky bum time indeed ! :shock:
The at grade junctions were scary and I always felt sorry for anyone waiting to cross a carriageway where there were two lanes of traffic moving very quickly. Must have been even scarier in a slow vehicle.
A72

Re: The A74(M) fan club

Post by A72 »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:56The at grade junctions were scary and I always felt sorry for anyone waiting to cross a carriageway where there were two lanes of traffic moving very quickly. Must have been even scarier in a slow vehicle.
My Dad trying to negotiate the B719 Greenhillstairs junction, in October 1988, will be etched in my mind forever. We were travelling north from Manchester, and he managed to miss the A701 for Moffat. Greenhillstairs was at-grade, and we were like sitting-ducks in the central reservation, waiting for a gap. Dad was swearing, Mum was wailing, wheels were spinning when a gap was found, Song Of The Whale pt2 by Tangerine Dream was playing on the cassette player. I will take those 30 seconds to my grave. :lol:
The 7-Zone Challenge
A roads: 71/71
B roads: 181/181
Total: 252/252

Completed: 04/11/20.