The A74(M) fan club

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

The A74(M) fan club

Post by Glenn A »

Any lovers of this quiet and stunning motorway, where in daytime and decent weather( caution sometimes needed in winter), you can sit back at 70 mph and enjoy the scenery. Unlike the A74 it replaced, the drive is far less stressful with all the at grade junctions, farm tracks and bus stops removed and the extra lane has made it a fairly easy drive. I love the moment when a large chunk of the traffic turns off for Stranraer, and you have a nice drive to Abington. Also in parts, the A74(M) is shadowed by the WCML, so you can see the Pendolinos and TPE trains racing along at over 100 mph and the occasional freight train trundling past Beattock.
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: The A74(M) fan club

Post by M4Simon »

Glenn A wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 19:08 Any lovers of this quiet and stunning motorway, where in daytime and decent weather( caution sometimes needed in winter), you can sit back at 70 mph and enjoy the scenery. Unlike the A74 it replaced, the drive is far less stressful with all the at grade junctions, farm tracks and bus stops removed and the extra lane has made it a fairly easy drive. I love the moment when a large chunk of the traffic turns off for Stranraer, and you have a nice drive to Abington. Also in parts, the A74(M) is shadowed by the WCML, so you can see the Pendolinos and TPE trains racing along at over 100 mph and the occasional freight train trundling past Beattock.
It's a long while since I've driven it (14 years), but like the top end of the M6, I remember it being relatively lightly trafficked, with good scenery. As you say, fairly easy compared with the long pull up the M6 up to Lancaster, and easy compared with the older M74 to the north. We nearly took a trip along there last year, but covid restrictions killed off that trip.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Ruperts Trooper

Post by Ruperts Trooper »

Glenn A wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 19:08 Any lovers of this quiet and stunning motorway, where in daytime and decent weather( caution sometimes needed in winter), you can sit back at 70 mph and enjoy the scenery. Unlike the A74 it replaced, the drive is far less stressful with all the at grade junctions, farm tracks and bus stops removed and the extra lane has made it a fairly easy drive. I love the moment when a large chunk of the traffic turns off for Stranraer, and you have a nice drive to Abington. Also in parts, the A74(M) is shadowed by the WCML, so you can see the Pendolinos and TPE trains racing along at over 100 mph and the occasional freight train trundling past Beattock.
I guess I've been a fan of the "74" since 1971 when I drove up the old A74 on my way to a job interview in Peterhead and subsequently every couple of weeks. Now, when going northbound, I'm usually on the A74(M) after dark as we get off at Jct 13 and overnight in a layby on the A7078, the ex-A74, but traffic always seems light.
Lifelong motorhead
Kalna

Post by Kalna »

I love it. The frustration of West Cumbrian roads falls away as soon as you get past Carlisle and go down the slip road.

I'm a Munro bagger so use it on a frequent basis. Set cruise control and before you know it you're deciding whether to go onto the M8 en route to Loch Lomond or turning off into the M73 aiming for the A9.

Likewise if Mrs Kalna wants a shopping weekend we both much prefer the trip to Glasgow than Manchester, Liverpool etc.
IAN

Post by IAN »

13 - 15 is the highlight passing through the southern uplands in light traffic with time to enjoy the scenery. There's also the WCML and the slight possibility of seeing a steam excursion train and of course, there's the VOSA checkpoint with the uncovered M6 sign to look out for.

South of 16 it's rather boring, to be honest.
AKA M5 Driver
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Just beware of the Talivans that are said to sit on the overbridges, waiting to take advantage of drivers who mistake the relatively low traffic levels for an invitation to make good progress in safety ...
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

Huge A74(M) here, for so many reason.

Of course there's also this landmark to look out for :D

M74 Penis Tree Appreciation Society

It's ironic the FB group calls it the M74 when it's actually A74(M) at that point as just south of J13 where the switch occurs. Shows how confusing the numbering is for 'normals', but let's not get started on that old chestnut again here ;-)

Me and the missus had a bit of a panic heading up this summer after a gap of a few years, worried we'd either missed it or it had gone. It was after googling that we realised we're not the only ones to have noticed for many years.
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Achmelvic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 Of course there's also this landmark to look out for :D

Now there's a link I want to click on but daren't. :cry:
Achmelvic

Post by Achmelvic »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:51
Achmelvic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 Of course there's also this landmark to look out for :D

Now there's a link I want to click on but daren't. :cry:
Haha, well it is on Facebook :wink:

It's about this 'landmark' wood on the hill side Google Street View
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Kalna wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 21:16 I love it. The frustration of West Cumbrian roads falls away as soon as you get past Carlisle and go down the slip road.

I'm a Munro bagger so use it on a frequent basis. Set cruise control and before you know it you're deciding whether to go onto the M8 en route to Loch Lomond or turning off into the M73 aiming for the A9.

Likewise if Mrs Kalna wants a shopping weekend we both much prefer the trip to Glasgow than Manchester, Liverpool etc.
I should know about this frustration as I live in Whitehaven, but once you reach Greymoorhill and pass that set of traffic lights to enter the slip road, you know it's time for an excellent drive. My favourite drive is the A74(M)/A70 to Ayr, a drive through some spectacular scenery and where you can keep to the NSL easily( and sometimes above). Driving at night in winter might be different, but in decent weather this is great fun.
SBRoxMan

Post by SBRoxMan »

Personally I love how its name lives on, even though it should have been long gone for over a decade now
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

Achmelvic wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 13:43 It's about this 'landmark' wood on the hill side Google Street View
:thumbsup: Cheers. I like it! :lol:
solocle

Post by solocle »

Not allowed on the actual thing, of course, but the old A74 was an interesting ride in September, with a few photos of the A74(M) taken. The surface was a bit poorly maintained for such a venerable old road, but the carriageway wasn't too bad (whereas the hard strip with painted cycle symbols often had potholes, gravel, or even decently sized rocks in it!)
03430A5F-3F33-4C65-8585-4AB0E02C971D.jpeg
E104A556-D540-455F-9BDD-C25AB50F1AA7.jpeg
21B6CB77-A683-4551-BA19-CD3460548D8A.jpeg
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

The old A74 was hair raising, on a few occasions, we had to brake quickly as a car crossed the carriageway, or watch out for vehicles emerging from farm tracks, and had some quite severe bends for a D2. What always interested me was the warning sign about pedestrians crossing near Beattock Services, were people actually suicidal enough to do this?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Glenn A wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:52 The old A74 was hair raising, on a few occasions, we had to brake quickly as a car crossed the carriageway, or watch out for vehicles emerging from farm tracks, and had some quite severe bends for a D2. What always interested me was the warning sign about pedestrians crossing near Beattock Services, were people actually suicidal enough to do this?
I wouldn't be surprised, I have seen people doing on the A64 here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.90049 ... 8192?hl=en

There have been fatalities when people got it wrong.

One of the worst roads for flat crossings is the A505 around here
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.02762 ... 8192?hl=en

Its also a known entry point for wrong way drivers, with no street lighting its all too easy to end up heading west on the eastbound carriageway if you are unfamiliar with the area and hit it at night.

Before the stretch of A1 from Wetherby to Disforth was upgraded to A1(M) there were a couple of locations where there were stiles installed as a footpath crossed the road. Highfields Lane and Kirby Hill come to mind.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I will admit that even though I want rid of it, there is a use for the A74(M) designation in a way. That being that it distinguishes the section of the Glasgow-Carlisle route that is actually quite a pleasant drive.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:52 What always interested me was the warning sign about pedestrians crossing near Beattock Services, were people actually suicidal enough to do this?
It was at Coatsgate where there were quarries to the east and a transport caff on the northbound side. I don't know whether anybody really tried to cross there.
Osthagen wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 22:33 I will admit that even though I want rid of it, there is a use for the A74(M) designation in a way. That being that it distinguishes the section of the Glasgow-Carlisle route that is actually quite a pleasant drive.
I'd say it's pleasant for at least one more junction north than that, as far as the end of the D3M.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 23:14
Glenn A wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 18:52 What always interested me was the warning sign about pedestrians crossing near Beattock Services, were people actually suicidal enough to do this?
It was at Coatsgate where there were quarries to the east and a transport caff on the northbound side. I don't know whether anybody really tried to cross there.
Osthagen wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 22:33 I will admit that even though I want rid of it, there is a use for the A74(M) designation in a way. That being that it distinguishes the section of the Glasgow-Carlisle route that is actually quite a pleasant drive.
I'd say it's pleasant for at least one more junction north than that, as far as the end of the D3M.
Yet someone must have been brave enough to cross the A74 and as it wasn't a motorway, it wasn't illegal, if very dangerous. Another thing to watch out for in the old days.
I would say as soon as you reach the built up parts of Lanarkshire and the traffic volume starts to increase markedly, the A74(M)/M74 is fine. Even the D2M is fine most of the time.
owen b

Post by owen b »

I like the A74(M). It's all built to a high standard with plenty of capacity, so it's usually possible to drive the whole length of it on cruise control. The northern half is interesting scenically, the southern half quite boring unless there are distant southbound views across the Solway Firth to the northern slopes of the Lake District. But for Sabristic interest, and the variety of scenery, I much prefer the M90.
Owen
coneman

Post by coneman »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 23:14

When going to Coatsgate Quarry for stone/coated materials from the south we were always told to get into lane 2 early, put your beacon on (singular upturned plant pot type on the cab roof) and hope there is nobody else waiting in the central reserve doing the same , squeaky bum time indeed ! :shock:
Many a guid tune played on an auld fiddle.