Central reservation gaps

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

doebag

Central reservation gaps

Post by doebag »

Driving the A1 south from Grantham, a question popped in to my head.
What factors dictate if a turning gap in the central reservation is closed or remains open?
Accident rate, traffic count, distance to next 'proper' junction?
Piatkow

Re: Central reservation gaps

Post by Piatkow »

I can't answer the question but it can be a little frightening along there when somebody in lane 2 slows down for a right turn
the cheesecake man

Post by the cheesecake man »

I would hope all of those are considered. I suspect the availability of money for the works, the amount of complications (eg can the turn just be closed or would action also be required to provide an alternative) and the personal opinion of the designer also come into it.

The strangest ones are the gaps only "agricultural machinery" is allowed to use.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

the cheesecake man wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:45 The strangest ones are the gaps only "agricultural machinery" is allowed to use.
One of those here, complete with gate - or does that mean there is no gap? The reason here is so that the "agricultural machinery" does not have to drive half a mile up the road to the nearest roundabout and back - I guess in some places this can be *much* further.
Let it snow.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

doebag wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 06:58 Driving the A1 south from Grantham, a question popped in to my head.
What factors dictate if a turning gap in the central reservation is closed or remains open?
Accident rate, traffic count, distance to next 'proper' junction?
KSI stats will be the biggest driver, depending on costs to fix you'll then either get a gap closure, roundabout, or GSJ. Most of the A1 fixes were just gap closures, which bring their own problems in terms of severance.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck