10' long cycle lane in Nottinghamshire

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/12/nottingh ... -15407735/

Perhaps they had 1/2 tin of red paint left over.
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Re: 10' long cycle lane in Nottinghamshire

Post by ForestChav »

It's in Stabbo, so presumably they had to do something to stop someone nicking the paint :lol:
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's bad design but it's there to warn traffic entering the mini roundabout to be aware that cyclists have priority. A total non-story.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
jnty

Post by jnty »

Designed to make cyclists safer by encouraging them into what's generally acknowledged to be the worst road position for negotiating the junction safely?

I'm sure the hardened-looking cyclist in the picture in the council - who seems to be taking a more sensible central line - is grateful to the council for the abuse he's now going to get from ignorant drivers as a result.

On-road cycle lanes on or near a roundabout should probably just be banned - save the money for some proper infrastructure. Have they ever been shown to have a positive safety impact?
crb11

Post by crb11 »

That's not a 10' cycle lane. This is (or rather was) a 10' cycle lane.
[real name Colin]
ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 14:55 It's bad design but it's there to warn traffic entering the mini roundabout to be aware that cyclists have priority. A total non-story.
Shouldn't be needed since everyone should know traffic already on the roundabout has priority over that joining it (and to give way to the right which is basically the same thing) before passing a driving test...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

ForestChav wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:36
Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 14:55 It's bad design but it's there to warn traffic entering the mini roundabout to be aware that cyclists have priority. A total non-story.
Shouldn't be needed since everyone should know traffic already on the roundabout has priority over that joining it (and to give way to the right which is basically the same thing) before passing a driving test...
Cyclists are often masked by background noise at roundabouts, they also are a lot smaller than a car so aren't what people are normally looking for when they barrel into a mini-roundabout because "sorry mate I didn't see you".
Bryn

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Post by ForestChav »

Bryn666 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:39
ForestChav wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:36
Cyclists are often masked by background noise at roundabouts, they also are a lot smaller than a car so aren't what people are normally looking for when they barrel into a mini-roundabout because "sorry mate I didn't see you".
Understood. But an entering driver or other road user should know this, and look around sufficiently before entering...

chaseracer

Post by chaseracer »

crb11 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:02 That's not a 10' cycle lane. This is (or rather was) a 10' cycle lane.
Well... it is on Short Street... <runs, hides...> :wink:
fras

Post by fras »

But as traffic on the roundabout, they already have priority. All this barmy painting does cycling as a mode of transport no good at all. There needs to be a serious rethink about cycling infrastructure in this country. Before WW2, all new dual-carriageways seem to have been built with separate cycle lanes so we have gone backwards. My father, who was a VERY keen cyclist, told me that after WW2, the CTC were consulted on cycle provision on major roads and pooh-poohed any separate facilities thinking a ban on the main carriageway would follow. Of course councils almost never maintain these cycle lanes so one can understand their low use levels.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

fras wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 21:35
But as traffic on the roundabout, they already have priority. All this barmy painting does cycling as a mode of transport no good at all. There needs to be a serious rethink about cycling infrastructure in this country. Before WW2, all new dual-carriageways seem to have been built with separate cycle lanes so we have gone backwards. My father, who was a VERY keen cyclist, told me that after WW2, the CTC were consulted on cycle provision on major roads and pooh-poohed any separate facilities thinking a ban on the main carriageway would follow. Of course councils almost never maintain these cycle lanes so one can understand their low use levels.
I don't disagree, but people going "hurhurhur cycle lane short" have not got any access to the reasons why the lane is there so are just engaging in complete conjecture. Mini roundabouts are notorious for cyclist collisions because drivers don't notice them and the small ICD means there's no margin for error. It has the hallmarks of a reaction to a problem, perceived or otherwise.

The fact that designers regularly misuse mini-roundabouts does not help safety whatsoever.
Bryn

solocle

Post by solocle »

fras wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 21:35
I mean, I can see why the CTC would think that, given the rise of the motorways, and the "happy car" on the continent.

Of course, they didn't forsee the precipitous rise in traffic levels since then, it's a very different world.

First lockdown? I felt quite safe cycling along the A303.
B9098530-C035-406C-8E01-2180E4DC4B9D.jpeg
The last time I did a significant stint on the dualled A303 was in August, an overnight ride back to Dorset from London. Straight down the A30 and onto the A303.
F81A50F6-654A-4FF4-BB12-059AFA88CAB1.jpeg
It was still slightly busier than I'd have really liked, but I was well lit, it was a good quality road, and I thought I'd get a nice hot meal at Solstice Park (it transpired that they were shut!).

This is to an extent my idea of an ideal cycle route:
890FBA22-C3CC-4DE1-9048-8C7CEFFF600C.jpeg
The old and new A30 between Honiton and Exeter. Perfectly legal to ride on the new road, and I do suspect it would have been a smidge faster, but unless you're TTing/LEJOG record attempting, come on!

But that's the thing - a cycle route that's so good that I wouldn't object to being banned from the carriageway... well, why the hell would anyone choose to ride on the carriageway? So what's the point of a ban?

In fact, I was once in the situation where I had to get back to Oxford from Bicester at rush hour. I knew there were nice little back roads, but my cycling Sat Nav went haywire and took me down the A34. There were two routes that I knew off the top of my head - the A34, and the M40 (then Wheatley and there's a cycle route).

Were I in that situation again today? Knowing what sheer hell the A34 pseudo-motorway was, I'd possibly go for a toodle down the M40's Hard Shoulder, despite the illegality, and the serious likelihood of being picked up by the rozzers. It would be much safer than sharing a live lane of the A34 with artics.

So I don't actually like the prohibition of cycling on motorways. Not because I want to go cycling down motorways for laughs, but because given the sorry state of this country's cycling infrastructure, it can on occasion be the safest option, and that's artificially limited by restrictions. They hide the symptoms of the problem without dealing with the actual problem. What I'd really like to see is a network of high quality routes alongside all trunk roads, then all A roads.

Generally I find that motorways do have a nice quiet semi-retired A or B road alongside that makes for an excellent cycling route, for me (M3/A30, although that one felt like it gets busy, M40/A40, M6/A6, A74(M)/B7076).

But the M40 between the A40 and A34 has nothing obvious.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

solocle wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 23:08 But the M40 between the A40 and A34 has nothing obvious.
Before the M40 was built, we used the B4027 through Islip and Forest Hill as the "oxford bypass". It's still there....
Let it snow.
solocle

Post by solocle »

Alderpoint wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 07:29
solocle wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 23:08 But the M40 between the A40 and A34 has nothing obvious.
Before the M40 was built, we used the B4027 through Islip and Forest Hill as the "oxford bypass". It's still there....
Unfortunately you have to do quite a distance on the A34 to reach it. Not helped by Google Cycling being happy with the A34...
Capture.JPG
Except I was on the A41 to Wendlebury, but you can exit for Weston-on-the-Green, Bletchingdon, Hampton Poyle, Kidlington.

For context I wasn't even sure I'd know how to get back from Kidlington, so kept with the A34 to Pear Tree, and that was D2, rather than the D2H prior.
BF2142

Post by BF2142 »

That’s what road signs are for.
rhyds

Post by rhyds »

''''''''''

Yes, that is rather short...
Built for comfort, not speed.
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

solocle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 08:40
Alderpoint wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 07:29
Unfortunately you have to do quite a distance on the A34 to reach it. Not helped by Google Cycling being happy with the A34...
Capture.JPG
Your map is a tad misleading as only about a mile of that (between Weston-on-the-Green and the Islip turn) is on the A34.

Your complaint actually seems to be that there is no obvious cycle route between Bicester and Oxford alongside the A34, and I agree if built today there would probably be separate cycle path. There are a variety of alternatives along more minor roads, but if you've not got a map....

Near us we have the A46, which is much like that A34 section but mostly D3. I have cycled that a few times when in a hurry, but there are signs to try to disuade you.
Let it snow.
fras

Post by fras »

Alderley Edge Bypass
Cycle track both sides and, (wait for it), I've seen quite a few bike going along the two tracks !
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.27601 ... 8192?hl=en
So here we are, 20% through the 21st century and only just catching up with what was built before WW2
Woodstock Road (old A34)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.80732 ... 8192?hl=en
solocle

Post by solocle »

fras wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 14:18 Alderley Edge Bypass
Cycle track both sides and, (wait for it), I've seen quite a few bike going along the two tracks !
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.27601 ... 8192?hl=en
So here we are, 20% through the 21st century and only just catching up with what was built before WW2
Woodstock Road (old A34)
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.80732 ... 8192?hl=en
Oh, wait, that track dates to before the war?

That would explain why it was like riding through bomb craters! Third place that I ever rode on a dual carriageway, after trying the cycleway, and having my water bottle rattle out every 10 yards.

The first was the A4142 from Iffley Road to Cowley Tesco, which seems to actually be prohibited... A travesty given the lack of signage for the alternative.

The second was the A40 Westway. Where cycling also is meant to be prohibited, but there was no signage to that effect - Royal Oak
B1040

Post by B1040 »

crb11 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 18:02 That's not a 10' cycle lane. This is (or rather was) a 10' cycle lane.
I cycle along there every working day and I've never noticed it!