Mirror Image Design

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Mirror Image Design

Post by SteveA30 »

Is this a prescribed design? At Southfields rbt services. The old Little Chef and Travelodge. It is a one way system the wrong way round. The confusion and near misses are a daily occurence and have been for years. Shell is to the left.

Another one I missed photographically, was at the A35 layby/cafe/toilets east of Dorchester. W/bnd traffic is not supposed to use it. About 2-3 months ago, the wording NO TURN RIGHT was painted on the w/bnd side. Someone spotted the mistake and it was corrected to AHEAD ONLY. Even if the correct wording was used, I'm guessing that without NRT signs, it would not have been valid anyway. I'm sure there were NRT signs there until earlier this year but, they have gone now.
Attachments
A303/A358
A303/A358
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
JoshBostock01

Re: Mirror Image Design

Post by JoshBostock01 »

There is a similar setup at a McDonalds in Perth. The first time I encountered it I was very confused.

https://www.google.com/maps/@56.3874343 ... 384!8i8192
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

SteveA30 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 14:47 I'm sure there were NRT signs there until earlier this year but, they have gone now.
They were there last night.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

SteveA30 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 14:47 Is this a prescribed design? At Southfields rbt services. The old Little Chef and Travelodge. It is a one way system the wrong way round. The confusion and near misses are a daily occurence and have been for years. Shell is to the left.
It's a right mess, brought about it seems by sticking with the established tarmac layout but wanting the newly installed drive-through window in the catering building to be on the drivers' side, on their right. Plus having the signage prominent to the A303 on the roundabout but the only entry is up the Chard road. I have wondered how many on the A303 take the Taunton A358 expecting to find the entrance there, but nothing.

Regarding that layby east of Dorchester on the A35, I can see it being closed altogether. Signage means nothing to those westbound there who stop to turn in. If you put kerbing down the middle of the carriageway they would bounce over it. Last time I saw it happen they were towing a caravan.
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

It's not a prescribed sign but as it's presumably not public land, that's not unlawful as such. It's not good design but there you go.

I think the OP is saying that traffic going into Travelodge/Burger King is going the wrong way around the one way system. If so, then it's possibly due to the sign on the right of this view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.93346 ... 6656?hl=en

which would tend to encourage traffic to head directly for the motel and not loop around the filling station? Easily solved by the installation of a couple of Diagram 836 either side of where the grey car is in the image. Some road markings/hatching might not go amiss either.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Conekicker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 19:17
I think the OP is saying that traffic going into Travelodge/Burger King is going the wrong way around the one way system.
I took it as the circulation round the car park and drive-through, which is wrong way round, and so leads to crossing over each other at the entrance.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Yes, I meant as WHBM described.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

I think we're both right. It's a mess all round. They seem to have used a designer who didn't have a clue.
Herned

Post by Herned »

WHBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 20:49 I think we're both right. It's a mess all round. They seem to have used a designer who didn't have a clue.
Surely it's down to the owners doing the minimum required in order to fit the drive through window to an existing building? There would have to be a crossover somewhere
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

SteveA30 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 14:47 Is this a prescribed design? At Southfields rbt services. The old Little Chef and Travelodge. It is a one way system the wrong way round. The confusion and near misses are a daily occurence and have been for years. Shell is to the left.
No, not standard at all, but as it's on private land it doesn't have to conform to any standards at all. I think WHBM is being charitable in assuming there was a designer at all.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

SteveA30 wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 14:47 Is this a prescribed design? At Southfields rbt services. The old Little Chef and Travelodge. It is a one way system the wrong way round.

Peut-être que le concepteur était français! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Conekicker

Post by Conekicker »

WHBM wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 19:23
Conekicker wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 19:17
I think the OP is saying that traffic going into Travelodge/Burger King is going the wrong way around the one way system.
I took it as the circulation round the car park and drive-through, which is wrong way round, and so leads to crossing over each other at the entrance.
But then you'd still get traffic crossing, as exiting traffic would have to cross entering traffic?
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Conekicker wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:03 But then you'd still get traffic crossing, as exiting traffic would have to cross entering traffic?
Should have put the Drive-Through lane round the back of the building with clockwise circulation. As elsewhere.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Here is an example of the daily shenanigans that take place.....
Attachments
Southfields 2.jpg
jabbaboy

Post by jabbaboy »

Admit it's not really the same scale but the ramps in Eldon Garden car park are the wrong way round in the centre where they're two way. Quite often see cars going up/down the wrong side. There's probably loads around but it's the only one I know like it, they usually have 2 separate ramps at each end.