End of the M48?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

JammyDodge

Re: End of the M48?

Post by JammyDodge »

JohnnyMo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 14:56 That sounds like the phasing of the light as Mount Pleasant (Tesco) is wrong, I can't see how else a S2 thru a town will get congested as it leaves the town.

Alternative solution is extend the 30mph zone to Glostershire, which should increase the capacity on the bridge :coat:
A possible solution for A48/Station Road/Upper Church Street junction could be this:
A48 - Town Centre.jpg
  • Combining the two sets of lights into one at Mount Pleasant would allow for more space for queuing on the A48. This would also allow the A48 to have a protected right turn at the lights, with 2 lanes through the junction. This junction would also now cater for pedestrians and cyclists
  • Right turns would be blocked from the A48 to Beaufort Square, to allow for merging
  • Nelson Street and Station Road car parks would both be closed, with Nelson Street being redeveloped into a park and Station Road sold for development
  • Negotiations with Tesco could be made to redevelop their car park into a 2-story carpark with Tesco giving parking validation with a purchase over £X
  • The underpass under the A48 between Exmouth Place and Nelson Street would be filled in and a new Toucan crossing installed across the A48
Potential Benefits:
  • Reduced congestion on the A48, due to and increased throughput at the junction
  • Increase to public green space
  • Better links between the station and high street for pedestrians and cyclists
  • Up to 10 new residential properties built
  • Removal of surface parking withing the town centre
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Both ends of the road join onto the M4 with no access to any non-motorway alternative, so they would probably have to amend these junctions if the M48 was downgraded to an A-road. I feel that it would possibly make sense to downgrade the Severn Bridge portion so that it can be used by mopeds, tractors, learner drivers and other non-motorway traffic which cannot use the footpath, meaning that they aren't required to take a long detour up to Gloucester and back if they wish to travel to South Wales. The bridge is essentially built to a grade separated A-road D2 spec by modern day standards anyway.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 05:19 Both ends of the road join onto the M4 with no access to any non-motorway alternative, so they would probably have to amend these junctions if the M48 was downgraded to an A-road. I feel that it would possibly make sense to downgrade the Severn Bridge portion so that it can be used by mopeds, tractors, learner drivers and other non-motorway traffic which cannot use the footpath, meaning that they aren't required to take a long detour up to Gloucester and back if they wish to travel to South Wales. The bridge is essentially built to a grade separated A-road D2 spec by modern day standards anyway.
Mopeds can currently use one footpath over the Severn Bridge, and I wouldn't have thought there's much need for tractors to cross from one side of the river here to the other on a regular basis.
RJDG14

Post by RJDG14 »

Isleworth1961 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 08:02
RJDG14 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 05:19 Both ends of the road join onto the M4 with no access to any non-motorway alternative, so they would probably have to amend these junctions if the M48 was downgraded to an A-road. I feel that it would possibly make sense to downgrade the Severn Bridge portion so that it can be used by mopeds, tractors, learner drivers and other non-motorway traffic which cannot use the footpath, meaning that they aren't required to take a long detour up to Gloucester and back if they wish to travel to South Wales. The bridge is essentially built to a grade separated A-road D2 spec by modern day standards anyway.
Mopeds can currently use one footpath over the Severn Bridge, and I wouldn't have thought there's much need for tractors to cross from one side of the river here to the other on a regular basis.
They can probably dismount and walk over with it.
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
Isleworth1961

Post by Isleworth1961 »

RJDG14 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 08:49
Isleworth1961 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 08:02
They can probably dismount and walk over with it.
If you are referring to mopeds, they can be ridden on the footpath - the signage says so.
DB617

Post by DB617 »

This is what would probably kill it. Far from removing the entire motorway, you would have to have A48(M) or M48 at either end where the final escapable junctions - Aust and whatever the last junction on the Welsh side was - head onwards towards the existing free-flow interchanges. That or build escape slip roads onto local roads like you have at St Mellons prior to the A48(M).

OR, even uglier, the loose ends become two more M4 spurs. Bleurgh.
JammyDodge

Post by JammyDodge »

DB617 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 16:51
This is what would probably kill it. Far from removing the entire motorway, you would have to have A48(M) or M48 at either end where the final escapable junctions - Aust and whatever the last junction on the Welsh side was - head onwards towards the existing free-flow interchanges. That or build escape slip roads onto local roads like you have at St Mellons prior to the A48(M).

That's even assuming that NH will allow it, which I don't think they will. Its up to them as the is solely Severn Bridge is within England.

Regarding adding junctions, just do it properly. You can easily squeeze a J3 and J4 on the M48. One Junction around Crick and another between Rogiet and Caldicot. Its just laziness if you cant be bothered to spend the money doing it right
Designing Tomorrow, Around the Past
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

JammyDodge wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 02:41
JohnnyMo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 14:56 That sounds like the phasing of the light as Mount Pleasant (Tesco) is wrong, I can't see how else a S2 thru a town will get congested as it leaves the town.

Alternative solution is extend the 30mph zone to Glostershire, which should increase the capacity on the bridge :coat:
A possible solution for A48/Station Road/Upper Church Street junction could be this:
A48 - Town Centre.jpg
  • Combining the two sets of lights into one at Mount Pleasant would allow for more space for queuing on the A48. This would also allow the A48 to have a protected right turn at the lights, with 2 lanes through the junction. This junction would also now cater for pedestrians and cyclists
  • Right turns would be blocked from the A48 to Beaufort Square, to allow for merging
  • Nelson Street and Station Road car parks would both be closed, with Nelson Street being redeveloped into a park and Station Road sold for development
  • Negotiations with Tesco could be made to redevelop their car park into a 2-story carpark with Tesco giving parking validation with a purchase over £X
  • The underpass under the A48 between Exmouth Place and Nelson Street would be filled in and a new Toucan crossing installed across the A48
Potential Benefits:
  • Reduced congestion on the A48, due to and increased throughput at the junction
  • Increase to public green space
  • Better links between the station and high street for pedestrians and cyclists
  • Up to 10 new residential properties built
  • Removal of surface parking withing the town centre
That looks like a cracking solution! Job done!!

JammyDodge wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 00:37
DB617 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 16:51

That's even assuming that NH will allow it, which I don't think they will. Its up to them as the is solely Severn Bridge is within England.
The Severn Bridge is entirely within England, but the Wye Bridge that it flows onto - without any option to leave - is not, so I don't see how a decision could be made about what traffic is allowed by England without Wales having to be consulted on it?

JammyDodge wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 02:41 Regarding adding junctions, just do it properly. You can easily squeeze a J3 and J4 on the M48. One Junction around Crick and another between Rogiet and Caldicot. Its just laziness if you cant be bothered to spend the money doing it right
Even just one could make quite a difference, if it were done properly with regard to improving some sections of road that would connect to it. The currently unclassified Crick Road and Church Road look like pretty good places for a J3.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
ajuk

Post by ajuk »

It can be surprisingly busy at times, you definitely can tell when it's closed and the M4 gets busier. It's not just Chepstow traffic that uses it but other parts of Monmouthshire and the FoD. A junction for Caldicot would be a good idea.