Get it right or else?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Conekicker

Get it right or else?

Post by Conekicker »

https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/th ... 5e300915b5

"...we’re sorry for the inconvenience..." Not so sorry they didn't do it repeatedly the muppets.

A few more fines dished out around the country wouldn't go amiss IMHO.
Patience is not a virtue - it's a concept invented by the dozy beggars who are unable to think quickly enough.
KeithW

Re: Get it right or else?

Post by KeithW »

Conekicker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 09:47 https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/th ... 5e300915b5

"...we’re sorry for the inconvenience..." Not so sorry they didn't do it repeatedly the muppets.

I doubt it will make any difference in this case. Thames Water have an annual turnover of over £2.1 billion last year and is owned by a number of offshore companies including the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) and the Kuwait Investment Authority. The publicity is bad but its not like you can pick the phone up and switch supplier. According their web site they have 15 million customers.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 10:22
Conekicker wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 09:47 https://www.saferhighways.co.uk/post/th ... 5e300915b5

I doubt it will make any difference in this case. Thames Water have an annual turnover of over £2.1 billion last year and is owned by a number of offshore companies including the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) and the Kuwait Investment Authority. The publicity is bad but its not like you can pick the phone up and switch supplier. According their web site they have 15 million customers.
Will the site engineer get his bonus docked? If so, was he or his management to blame?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

I have no knowledge of what Thames Water did but at the end of the day it is its responsibility. I have been a site manager on street works fixing leaks and we were given very clear instructions on what we had to do in terms of safety and had their been a serious incident and somebody died I would have been standing in the dock. If I had not been made aware of what needed to be done the director I reported to would be there alongside me.

We had one close call when we started a job and found a power cable that was not shown on the maps. We halted everything and got the electricity board out (this was pre privatisation) and we were right to do so as it turned out to be 440 v 3 phase and energised.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

KeithW wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 21:56We had one close call when we started a job and found a power cable that was not shown on the maps. We halted everything and got the electricity board out (this was pre privatisation) and we were right to do so as it turned out to be 440 v 3 phase and energised.
My brother in law had similar when he built his extension, the plans showed no cables in the area to the side of his house but a local suggested the main cable to the estate behind it ran through there so he got them out to check. They said the plans were correct and the cable didn’t run there so the JCB started digging. Guess what the digger found… It cost them 3 weeks of downtime in the end while the electric guys decided how best to move the cable run, I don’t think they ever did find out why it went through the wrong garden.