Get the A61 downgraded A1(M) J50 to Thirsk!

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

stu531

Re: Get the A61 downgraded A1(M) J50 to Thirsk!

Post by stu531 »

Again, I'm sure this is something that would never happen, but the only section of the A1 that doesn't have a parallel 'farm road' (LAR) is the stretch between the A168 and the A61. If that LAR was built to the west of the A1, then the A61 could be routed down a widened Shambles Lane and LAR as far as J49, with the A168 to Thirsk being renumbered.

I'm sure there isn't the demand for this, but it would mean the LAR would be complete and the amount of upgrading of local routes would be minimal.

It is a bit of a pain coming back to Harrogate from Teeside, as I did this weekend. The best route is down the A1(M), although there was an almighty queue around Boroughbridge yesterday (as often seem to be the case on the Dishforth-Aberford stretch). The A59 between the A1 and Harrogate is pretty slow going as well; there are no plans to upgrade anything round here now that the HG Northern Bypass has been kiboshed.
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

I think as a local route, the A61 between Ripon and Thirsk is still a significant road, and its only recently with the A1(M) upgrade that it might be starting to look a bit out of place. I even lived on that very stretch for a short while at Carlton Miniott back in the early 00's, and given that it was the main link to the A1 north (via the B6267), combined with local traffic heading to the station, racecourse and Tesco being that side of town, there was always a lot of traffic running past our front gates.
Now with the A1(M) changes, I suspect it depends on where is Thirsk you're coming from as to whether you'd get to the A1 via the A61 to J50 or the A168 to J49. I can't see too much reason for changing things too drastically - an upgraded Dishforth Road might help Ripon-A168 traffic, but anyone for the A1(M) will still use the A61 to head north and B6265 to head south, and for the most part the A61 for Thirsk itself. I can fully see the argument for removing primary status east of the A1(M), but nothing more.
Lonewolf

Post by Lonewolf »

Two words

Thirsk Races......
Wolfie

FB me!