Roads.org.uk - Is there a problem?

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

Roads.org.uk - Is there a problem?

Post by Chris Bertram »

Maybe it's just me, but I can't get onto Roads.org.uk (formerly CBRD). Is there an issue with the site?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Isleworth1961

Re: Roads.org.uk - Is there a problem?

Post by Isleworth1961 »

It's working OK for me...
DavidBrown

Post by DavidBrown »

Comes up with a security issue for me.
Euan

Post by Euan »

DavidBrown wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 15:51 Comes up with a security issue for me.
Same here.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

Which browsers ? worked on Chrome but I think I have turned on allow http
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Works for me with chrome and firefox.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I'm getting "Server not found". "We can’t connect to the server at www.roads.org.uk." This is using Firefox on my laptop, but I can't connect via Chrome on my mobile either.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

rhyds

Post by rhyds »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 19:36 I'm getting "Server not found". "We can’t connect to the server at www.roads.org.uk." This is using Firefox on my laptop, but I can't connect via Chrome on my mobile either.
Odd, I've had no issues accessing https://www.roads.org.uk/ from home or from work. It didn't work at work for a second, but cleared itself out. DNS all seems to check out.

If you're sure your partner hasn't added the site to your parental controls then consider giving your router a restart or flushing your DNS cache. Also try with your phone on its 4G/5G mobile data service rather than the wifi to check if its a problem specific to your home broadband connection
Built for comfort, not speed.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Sorry that people are having trouble seeing the site. I’ve been transferring between web hosts this weekend and the process went a bit wrong, meaning that some DNS servers around the world either cached the wrong IP address or no IP address at all for the site. It’s mostly fixed now but some DNS servers are still pointing the wrong way. As a result, you may or may not see the site, depending on where you are in the world, which company you use the connect to the internet, how long they cache DNS data on their own servers and whether the DNS server they sync with has been corrected yet.

These things can take up to 72 hours to work their way across the internet so it should be OK for everyone again by this time tomorrow.

Rhyds’ advice about local DNS caches is very good and worth a shot if you still can’t see the site.
exiled
President

Post by exiled »

Chris5156 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 20:01 Sorry that people are having trouble seeing the site. I’ve been transferring between web hosts this weekend and the process went a bit wrong, meaning that some DNS servers around the world either cached the wrong IP address or no IP address at all for the site. It’s mostly fixed now but some DNS servers are still pointing the wrong way. As a result, you may or may not see the site, depending on where you are in the world, which company you use the connect to the internet, how long they cache DNS data on their own servers and whether the DNS server they sync with has been corrected yet.

These things can take up to 72 hours to work their way across the internet so it should be OK for everyone again by this time tomorrow.

Rhyds’ advice about local DNS caches is very good and worth a shot if you still can’t see the site.
I just thought your website ran by witchcraft.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

exiled wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 20:24I just thought your website ran by witchcraft.
:shhh:
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Happy to say that it is all working now. Thanks for the explanation.