A14 Junction 55 Copdock Interchange Public Consultation

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

KeithW

Re: A14 Junction 55 Copdock Interchange Public Consultation

Post by KeithW »

Bomag wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:42 I think that it is better to have a roundabout rather than having substandard free flow links, as any in-depth analysis of traffic flow and accidents will show.

Having redesigned in principle both Simister and Lofthouse, the former would only work properly with total free-flow links if you took out the south end of Maghull and the north end of Anitree, a hybrid design is OK. As for Lofthouse the bridges will require a shed load of money on them in future and with the links put in by the DBFO co any replacement doesn't need to be a full roundabout (although it would have the capacity). The limited free flow links are sufficient and cheaper, the only problem is that for Area 12 slip closures they won't be able to use it to turn traffic.

While the average designer should be able to design roundabouts better than they actually do, this should not be an excuse to adopt some of the more dodgy aspects from Europe.
Most of the world doesn't use roundabouts on roads with high rates of traffic and a lot of turning movements. There is a good reason for this, they simply don't work well and are forever being tinkered with in the desperate hope they can somehow be made to work better. A classic example is the Black Cat which sort of coped when the only turning traffic was on to the S2 Bedford Road AND there was an express lane between the A1 northbound and the then A428 to Bedford, you can see the remnants here.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.18274 ... 8192?hl=en

When the new D2 A421 was being planned as a strategic road it was a no brainer for a decent GSJ and there was plenty of room for one. Instead the best idea anyone could come up with was making the roundabout bigger and signalising it. A 10 year old child could have produced a better option.

I spent many years cursing and swearing at the delays on all the roundabouts on the A1 between Buckden and Dishforth and the improvement when they finally were replaced was huge for a relatively small amount of money.

I spent a number of years living in Columbus Ohio and always wondered what sort of nightmare it would have been if this junction between I-70 and I-71 had been designed by the Highways Agency.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.95055 ... ,17z?hl=en

Here is a nice example in Belgium.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.87659 ... ,16z?hl=en

I wouldnt call it dodgy.
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 13:01 Jackal hits the nail on the head: DMRB is unfit for purpose where freeflow interchanges are concerned.

It is obsessed with the notion that unless you can steam though at 70 mph then it must be a roundabout instead. Whoever signed off on that concept needs to just go and get a job stacking shelves in a warehouse because they know diddle squat about highway design.
Driving though France and Spain, you get very sharp radii at many motorway to motorway junctions, with a speed limit of 50kph, yes you slow down but you do not have to stop, you do not see lorries turned over.

Therefore, that is why the DMRB is so frustrating to work with, the factor of safety involved is just excessive. The new version is just not fit for purpose.
The M25 - The road to nowhere
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 14:49 Driving though France and Spain, you get very sharp radii at many motorway to motorway junctions, with a speed limit of 50kph, yes you slow down but you do not have to stop, you do not see lorries turned over.

Therefore, that is why the DMRB is so frustrating to work with, the factor of safety involved is just excessive. The new version is just not fit for purpose.
I have seen a small number of vehicles overturned on the A19/A66 GSJ which has a 50 mph limit but that was down to the numpties driving, I saw one HGV on its side this slip road and I would still like to know how the driver managed it.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.52801 ... 8192?hl=en
jackal

Post by jackal »

The consultation report was published last week. 22% supported option 1 (freeflow left turns), 67% supported option 4 (bidirectional freeflow bypass).

https://nationalhighways.co.uk/our-work ... terchange/
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

I think you have both articulated your views clearly, both in multiple posts. Both examples are used across the UK and I think it's fine to leave it there.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Gaz909909 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 00:07 I think you have both articulated your views clearly, both in multiple posts. Both examples are used across the UK and I think it's fine to leave it there.
Wrong thread?
Gaz909909

Post by Gaz909909 »

That's wierd!!