A1079 dualling

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Glenn A

Re: A1079 dualling

Post by Glenn A »

KeithW wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 17:32
Glenn A wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 16:09 I'd much rather spend the money on improving the A64 from York to Scarborough. The A19 from Thirsk to York isn't particularly busy and explains, barring the by pass of Easingwold, why it has seen little improvement compared with the A19 north of Thirsk.
I am with you although to be honest my normal route would be, and has been many times, the A1079 and A19. Hopgrove can be a pain but I usually just follow the A19 through York - its typically faster.
Easingwold is the only significant settlement on this part of the A19, which explains why it was by passed, and the rest of the road has been largely ignored.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:19
Easingwold is the only significant settlement on this part of the A19, which explains why it was by passed, and the rest of the road has been largely ignored.
If I remember correctly there was a plan for an A19 Shipton bypass but the road got detrunked before it was built.
owen b

Post by owen b »

wrinkly wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:58
Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 17:19
If I remember correctly there was a plan for an A19 Shipton bypass but the road got detrunked before it was built.
Yes, it was in Roads to Prosperity, as was a bypass for Thormanby. Both were to be S2.
Owen
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

and to get this back on topic, that same document also proposed a bypass for Shiptonthorpe.

And is there still a good argument for this bypass, and maybe building it as a dual carriageway to link up with that small bit of dual carriageway east of Hayton.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

and do others think that Shiptonthorpe should be bypassed, and if so, should any bypass be a single carriageway or a dual carriageway which would link up with that small stretch of dualled road between Hayton and Thorpe-le-Street.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well to be fair most of Shiptonthorpe is north of the A1079 and those buildings on the road are basically there to serve passing trade or have been built relatively recently so I think there are better candidates. That said if the road was to be dualled then a new bypass would probably be necessary.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Ti dual that section would definitely mean bypassing Shoptonthorpe.

Do you think there are higher priorities for dualling and/or improving the A1079 between Beverly and Grimston Bar?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Rillington wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 15:24 Ti dual that section would definitely mean bypassing Shoptonthorpe.

Do you think there are higher priorities for dualling and/or improving the A1079 between Beverly and Grimston Bar?
My view is do the whole thing or don't bother, all you do otherwise is create long queues approaching the S2 sections and overload them making existing sub standard junctions more dangerous.
NICK 647063

Post by NICK 647063 »

My honest opinion is there is absolutely no need to dual the A1079! While it might be a nice idea you would actually create a bigger issue….. it’s a pretty local route York to Hull but if this was upgraded you run the risk of people choosing it to head north from Hull instead of the A63/M62/A1(M) route, you then cause more issues around York, as it is the A1079 manages its load but isn’t attractive enough to encourage extra…..

As I’ve said before the only real priority is the A64 as it has no alternatives apart from unsuitable back roads.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

A lot of the heavier traffic will be coming from further afield so it isn't just a local route.
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

KeithW wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 16:53
My view is do the whole thing or don't bother, all you do otherwise is create long queues approaching the S2 sections and overload them making existing sub standard junctions more dangerous.
As you say, dualling the entire route would be the best option (or not do anything at all) but if this doesn't happen then you can still do various improvements and for me, the Shiptonthorpe bypass as a dual carriage way would be top of the list, thereby providing a dualled road between the A614 and Hayton.

Right now, are there any plans for any improvements currently being considered/likely to happen?