A40 / B4425 query

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Henry Crun

A40 / B4425 query

Post by Henry Crun »

I am trying to establish the likely date of publication of the attached OS 1 inch popular map from the way that the road junction between the A40 and the B4425 is represented on it.

I am aware that the A40 here was at least planned to be developed in around 1930, but if anyone can give me a better idea of the year this map is likely to have represented, that would be very helpful.

In case it helps, I suspect the map is either: -

- that which was published in 1930 (roads revised to June 1926); or
- that which was published in 1932 (roads revised to May 1932).

Thanks.
Attachments
OS 1 inch Popular ed.pdf
(82.81 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Re: A40 / B4425 query

Post by M4Simon »

Henry Crun wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 16:15 I am trying to establish the likely date of publication of the attached OS 1 inch popular map from the way that the road junction between the A40 and the B4425 is represented on it.

I am aware that the A40 here was at least planned to be developed in around 1930, but if anyone can give me a better idea of the year this map is likely to have represented, that would be very helpful.

In case it helps, I suspect the map is either: -

- that which was published in 1930 (roads revised to June 1926); or
- that which was published in 1932 (roads revised to May 1932).

Thanks.
Hi Henry,

If you have the entire map sheet, have a look for the revision code in the bottom left hand corner, then have a look at the article on the SABRE Wiki here: https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/ind ... ach_map.3F . Hopefully that will give you the answer you are looking for.

If the sheet is not one we already have on SABRE Maps, we'd be interested in scanning it to add to the site.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Fifth Edition coverage project#How do I find out the date of each map.3F :

This SABRE Maps Coverage Project is to provide online coverage of the OS One Inch Fifth Edition and associated maps; such as Tourist or District sheets at the One Inch scale in Fifth Edition style; and the Two-Inch Scilly Isles maps. Because only maps covering the southern parts of England were published (with the exception of two Scottish Tourist sheets), it's not possible to offer coverage of the

... Read More