Unexpected / Unusual S2+1

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A212

Unexpected / Unusual S2+1

Post by A212 »

Hello, long time follower / first time poster.

Whilst looking at various places on Googlemaps, I stumbled across this very unexpected S3 near Lerwick on Shetland

60°10'07.4"N 1°11'24.2"W
https://goo.gl/maps/A4UgLqntDeB7C5eEA

Is this the only S3 in the UK outside of mainland Britain and NI?

I also wondered if other users knew of similar examples they’d like to share

Edit: I meant S2+1, not S3 !

Pete
Last edited by A212 on Wed Nov 24, 2021 20:28, edited 2 times in total.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Re: Unexpected / Unusual S3

Post by Owain »

A212 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 18:13 Hello, long time follower / first time poster.

Whilst looking at various places on Googlemaps, I stumbled across this very unexpected S3 near Lerwick on Shetland

60°10'07.4"N 1°11'24.2"W

Pete
Hi Pete, and welcome to SABRE!

Thanks for posting that - I have never been to Shetland, and I had no idea. It is indeed surprising.

However, the road is an S2+1 (two lanes up + one lane down) rather than a traditional S3 ("three for all", or "free for all"), some very rare examples of which can be found here and here.

Your example of a non-mainland S2+1 is not alone though, as I can cite a similarly surprising example of an S2+1 on the Isle of Man.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
A212

Re: Unexpected / Unusual S

Post by A212 »

Thank you for the kind welcome. I have included a clarifying footnote in my original post now to avoid further confusion
KeithW

Re: Unexpected / Unusual S2+1

Post by KeithW »

There are a surprisingly large number of such roads still around many ofwhich were originally S3. Here is a good example in Lincolnshire.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.36724 ... 6656?hl=en

There are also sections of the A5 which were originally S3 and are now marked down to wide S2

Welcome as an active participant - we dont bite although one or two growl a bit :)
trickstat

Post by trickstat »

Owain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 20:14
A212 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 18:13 Hello, long time follower / first time poster.

60°10'07.4"N 1°11'24.2"W

Pete

Thanks for posting that - I have never been to Shetland, and I had no idea. It is indeed surprising.

However, the road is an S2+1 (two lanes up + one lane down) rather than a traditional S3 ("three for all", or "free for all"), some very rare examples of which can be found here and here.

Your example of a non-mainland S2+1 is not alone though, as I can cite a similarly surprising example of an S2+1 on the Isle of Man.
Strictly speaking, the Isle of Man is not part of the UK, but I think it fits in with the general idea of somewhere outside the mainland and NI.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

trickstat wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 23:14Strictly speaking, the Isle of Man is not part of the UK, but I think it fits in with the general idea of somewhere outside the mainland and NI.
I'm aware of that, but it still comes within SABRE's remit. Jersey (also outside the UK) has a dual-carriageway and even a GSJ(!), although I'm not aware of any S2+1 or S3.

I'm guessing that this stretch on the Isle of Wight might well have had 3 fully usable lanes at one time. Anglesey might also be a good place to look.

When I went to Islay and Jura with some Sabristi a few years ago, I did wonder if this had once been S2+1. It was certainly wider than anything I'd expected to find there.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
J6onM27

Re: Unexpected / Unusual S2+1

Post by J6onM27 »

There are plenty in Europe. This fine example in Luxembourg has 2 down 1 up ! https://www.google.com/maps/@49.8963194 ... 312!8i6656
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Owain wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 20:14

I believe that I walked along that road in 1985 and did not lastingly note anything unusual about the road. Of course, it could have changed since then !