Talking Pictures TV (81)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

Talking Pictures TV (81)

Post by SteveA30 »

Could be good at 18.00. Is it an actual motorway or, the A1 perhaps. Not much choice in 1960. The road is probably only in the first minute or so....

Sat 27 Nov 17:40 Look At Life 1962. A Look into a leisurely journey through London along the Thames.

Sat 27 Nov 18:00 Scotland Yard 1960. Evidence in Concrete. Directed by Gordon Hales. Starring Russell Napier, Howard Pays and Peter Welch. A young girl's body found near a busy motorway tells of something sinister. (S1, E34)
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
KeithW

Re: Talking Pictures TV (81)

Post by KeithW »

Well there were not many to choose from as the series was released in 1960, my guess would be filming was done on one under construction which in 1959 would be:
M4 Chiswick Flyover
M1 Berrygrove

I believe they were filmed at Merton Park Studios in South London so either is possible

I will give it a look tonight
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Talking Pictures is n excellent channel and is always broadcasting content such as this. A series shown in the channel called "Glimpses" airs films of Britain from the post-war years and is a fascinating insight into how Britain was more than half a century ago.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

No motorway until 5.23 when it was of course, the M1. A road described as the A5 near Redbourn was just a country lane.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Rillington wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 15:13 Talking Pictures is n excellent channel and is always broadcasting content such as this. A series shown in the channel called "Glimpses" airs films of Britain from the post-war years and is a fascinating insight into how Britain was more than half a century ago.
My Dad liked it as it used to feature a lot of films made when he was younger.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

RichardA626 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 21:44 My Dad liked it as it used to feature a lot of films made when he was younger.
This was the heyday of the B Movie some of which were very good, the Edgar Wallace series started the careers of many future TV and film stars including Michael Caine, Richard Verne, Richard Caldicott, Lockwood West, Patrick Cargill and Anthony Newlands.

It works very well today because it was shot on film and is HD and widescreen.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

SteveA30 wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 19:09 No motorway until 5.23 when it was of course, the M1. A road described as the A5 near Redbourn was just a country lane.
The producers wouldn't have had much choice in 1960, particularly if the programme was made by a southern ITV company. Only the M1 or M45( OK Midlands, but ATV covered the Midlands and London then) could have been used for motorway shots. If a Granada drama wanted to feature a motorway, they would have used the M6 Preston by pass or the M63, which would have been a few miles from the studios.
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

My dad keeps mentioning this channel, it seems there is a lot on there of interest to me. I just wish they had some sort of online player, as I no longer have a TV - the old one broke and I've little intent to repair/replace...
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

IAN

Post by IAN »

Glenn A wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 18:16
The producers wouldn't have had much choice in 1960, particularly if the programme was made by a southern ITV company. Only the M1 or M45( OK Midlands, but ATV covered the Midlands and London then) could have been used for motorway shots. If a Granada drama wanted to feature a motorway, they would have used the M6 Preston by pass or the M63, which would have been a few miles from the studios.
In the north the M6 Lancaster bypass opened in Spring 1960

Further south the A20(M) and the M50 opened in late 1960
AKA M5 Driver
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 18:50 My dad keeps mentioning this channel, it seems there is a lot on there of interest to me. I just wish they had some sort of online player, as I no longer have a TV - the old one broke and I've little intent to repair/replace...
I believe you can get it via a USB DVB-T2 tuner on Freeview Channel 81.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

It was made by a film company (Anglo Amalgamated) who made them for the B Movie market.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Amalgamated
They were based in South London and the short clip showed the M1 as far as I can tell, the bridge in the shot looked right. These days they would just use stock footage.
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

IAN wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 19:34
In the north the M6 Lancaster bypass opened in Spring 1960

Further south the A20(M) and the M50 opened in late 1960
Quite a trail to the M50, though, but it was one of the first motorways and very much an orphan until the M5 was built.
linuxrocks

Post by linuxrocks »

ravenbluemoon wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 18:50 My dad keeps mentioning this channel, it seems there is a lot on there of interest to me. I just wish they had some sort of online player, as I no longer have a TV - the old one broke and I've little intent to repair/replace...
Coming soon I believe
https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/
Rillington

Post by Rillington »

Talking Pictures TV launches its TPTV Encore catch-up service on 1st December. https://www.filmstories.co.uk/news/talk ... up-service
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Thanks

Have now registered
ravenbluemoon
Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

linuxrocks wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:00
Coming soon I believe
https://www.tptvencore.co.uk/
Ooh, yay! Thanks for that, I've registered. Also might be good to get on the TV when I'm over in Sweden at Christmas (fingers crossed given the circumstances...).
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Well the online version is up and running. Have been watching the 1954 Sherlock Holmes season made for the US Market but filmed in France with a mainly British cast. The stories are non canonical but quite good. Obviously shot on film and decently done. Watson is played straight not as the buffoon depicted in the US made versions with Basil Rathbone.
SteveA30

Post by SteveA30 »

Thu 02 Dec 19:40 Look At Life 1960. We take a look at modern bridge building in Britain. Thousands of new bridges of all shapes and sizes are being constructed all over the country to keep up with the new roads programme.

It is probably on YouTube anyway but still........
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Does anybody watch The Footage Detectives on Talking Pictures TV? Basically it features Noel Cronin and Mike Read viewing old reels of film and ask people to identify locations and dates etc.

This week's episode (17 April) featured a motorway section opening in what appears to be the early 1960s. I've never seen this clip before and there were no road signs included in the film as a aid. Filmed mainly from a junction overbridge we see part of the opening ceremony then traffic moving along. There looks like an old railway bridge crossing the slip roads before the motorway bears left.

I've been trawling the old maps and the only junction I've found so far bearing any resemblance is the M1 at J37, Dodworth and yet I'm not convinced. Some of the camera angles and background don't seem to fit. Also, this section opened in late 1968 - do the vehicles seem a bit too early for that time?
Was this part of the M1 only two-lanes when it opened?

The episode is online at tptvencore.co.uk - you do have to register to view the films. Once you have endured the endless adverts, the motorway footage starts at about 38:30. I'd love to hear some ideas.
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I haven't attempted to watch the film yet but I'm sure the M1 at Dodworth would have been D3M when opened.

The vertical profile is very curious there. Going north from the roundabout the slip roads go steeply down to get under the railway, then by the time they've pulled out of that downslope they're a bit lower than the main carriageways and have to rise again, then they have to turn down again before merging because the main carriageways have started going down. So they end up being unusually long, when if the railway had been a bit higher they might have been half the length.