Old A12 (london road)

The study of British and Irish roads - their construction, numbering, history, mapping, past and future official roads proposals and general roads musings.

There is a separate forum for Street Furniture (traffic lights, street lights, road signs etc).

Registered users get access to other forums including discussions about other forms of transport, driving, fantasy roads and wishlists, and roads quizzes.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Unbreakify

Old A12 (london road)

Post by Unbreakify »

I know this has already been covered, but come on, 2007 was like.. 14 years ago!
And half the topic / images are deleted or gone.

Why not talk about it again? Its been 14 years.

Anyways, yeah. Old A12. London Road.
Coords: 52.03975565477671, 1.0941054999825317

Any new info on it? or images? i'd love to see.
KeithW

Re: Old A12 (london road)

Post by KeithW »

Unbreakify wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 21:02 I know this has already been covered, but come on, 2007 was like.. 14 years ago!
And half the topic / images are deleted or gone.

Why not talk about it again? Its been 14 years.

Anyways, yeah. Old A12. London Road.
Coords: 52.03975565477671, 1.0941054999825317

Any new info on it? or images? i'd love to see.

Erm its a road from London to Lowestoft and a bunch of places got bypassed, its all in the Wiki and you can use Sabre maps to see the old route
sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=A12/History
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

I think the OP is asking about London Road in Copdock, which used to be the A12 and is at the coordinates they listed, not the A12 in general.

I’m not sure about new information or pictures - that road is now very minor and doesn’t change much. I understand the old trunk road lights have now been replaced with much smaller ones that match its status as a minor road.
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Yes, im talking about the old 2-mile A12. I sent the coordinates. Did you not see? :confused:
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Did you not see we had a thread on Copdock improvements? Probably the only material change in the area since the original thread, unless you count the SPECS south of Copdock?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Play nicely chaps.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Unbreakify wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:56 Yes, im talking about the old 2-mile A12. I sent the coordinates. Did you not see? :confused:
Had you said Copdock or A14 J55 it would have saved me messing about in Google Earth but the fact remains its just another bypassed bit of road. If you want to see all the changes just go to Sabre Maps and look at one of the old maps, the 1971 Route Planner or OS 7th Series layer will do the job nicely. There are rather a lot of them, at least 3 are now just labelled London Road. Its on GSV so seeing what it looks like now is not hard. Having taken a look I cant see much has changed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.03177 ... 6656?hl=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.03176 ... 8192?hl=en
Unbreakify

Post by Unbreakify »

Mind sending me a link to these maps? I've only just made an account. 2 months ago, i think.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Unbreakify wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 20:41 Mind sending me a link to these maps? I've only just made an account. 2 months ago, i think.
sabre-roads.org.uk/maps

It is also usually considered good etiquette to bring something new to a discussion which is why there has been nothing really posted about an otherwise uninteresting bypassed road in 14 years. It only draws attention because it happens to be a dual carriageway, otherwise it would be no different to the other hundreds of thousands of bypassed alignments in the country.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 21:10
Unbreakify wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 20:41 Mind sending me a link to these maps? I've only just made an account. 2 months ago, i think.
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps
Or "Maps" in the big yellow bar at the top of the screen. Or "Maps" from the SABRE home page.

Or search for "SABRE Maps" in the SABRE Wiki; which is also available from the above yellow bar and the SABRE home page.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More
Hdeng16

Post by Hdeng16 »

Steven wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 07:56
Bryn666 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 21:10
https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/maps
Or "Maps" in the big yellow bar at the top of the screen. Or "Maps" from the SABRE home page.

Or search for "SABRE Maps" in the SABRE Wiki; which is also available from the above yellow bar and the SABRE home page.
Please make it clearer next time. Or provide x/y pixel coordinates for the buttons you describe. :D

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps :

SABRE Maps, the Discover section of the SABRE website, is a major project undertaken by SABRE to display out-of-copyright road mapping of Great Britain and Ireland, mostly concentrating on Ordnance Survey, Ordnance Survey Ireland and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland mapping. It is supported (though not financially) by external organisations such as the British Library, the National Library of Scotland and Cambridge University Library; as well as by the private

... Read More